Are security rules same as airplane?

5ofusnow

For the first time in years we are planning a cruise deparing from a port 2 - 3 hours drive from our home. What I can't remember or am not current on is what the security rules to get on the ship are. :eek: Is it like the airport where I need to have a 3-1-1 bag and any larger liquids go in the "check-in" luggage? Or can anything go into any piece of luggage?

Along the same line, what about medication? Can I put the Rx meds in a weekly individual day type container like I use at home to help remember (brain dead) or do I have to carry them in there original huge bottles? The medicine bottles are just getting bigger even when it could hold a 2+ years supple of pills. But thats another story.

Are there any other differences that might help?:)

For the first time in years we are planning a cruise deparing from a port 2 - 3 hours drive from our home. What I can't remember or am not current on is what the security rules to get on the ship are. :eek: Is it like the airport where I need to have a 3-1-1 bag and any larger liquids go in the "check-in" luggage? Or can anything go into any piece of luggage?

No you do not need the 3-1-1 bag

Just pack in your luggage

For medication I take the copy of my RX along with the weekly box or you could ask the pharmacy for a smaller bottle with the label on it

Nope...the security rule for planes are to keep passengers away from any "weaponry" or anything that MIGHT be a danger while in the air.....like your shampoo! On a ship, they know you'll have eventual access to your stuff...so it's not a big deal if you carry it on.

Bring as much liquid (non-alcoholic, of course!!!) as you like. Your medications do not have to be in the Rx bottles....daily planners are fine. No one cares.

They are looking for weapons. We had a cork screw that we picked up in Rome. It looked like it could be a pocket knife the way it folded up, was in our carryon...they asked to open our bag...no big deal. I always keep my meds in the weekly containers and have never had a problem even flying overseas.

Keith

You would think it would be easier and I suppose it is but...

so many of the security rules are just ingrained in my head and it is hard to distinguish between plane and ship security. I've never had anyone check to make sure all of my families medications were in the official bottles for a plane, but I never risk it because if they stopped us from taking the medication it would ruin the vacation. For a plane its simply not worth the risk. For a ship I don't know if the rule is the same or not. If not and based on other people it sounds like it, I can save a lot of space by putting the needed medication in smaller containers. Yeah!!:)

Liquids are not restricted when boarding the ship.

Probably a dumb question, but does this include open bottles? If I am waiting in line and have an open soda, will I have to throw it away before boarding? I am guessing the answer is no?

Thanks!! It's been a while since I have cruised. lol

Probably a dumb question, but does this include open bottles? If I am waiting in line and have an open soda, will I have to throw it away before boarding? I am guessing the answer is no?

Answer is no.

Keith

Another advantage of driving instead of flying -- No luggage restrictions, either in number or weight. At least not like the airlines. So, you might want to take an extra suitcase for all the souvenirs you'll buy. We usually take a couple of big suitcases, a couple of garment bags, plus some smaller luggage. Don't forget to take a small bag for the last night if you choose to put the big bags out in the hallway.

There are some restricted items, such as irons and candles, that are not allowed. These should be listed somewhere in your cruiseline web page.

As for the open bottle -- or even a sealed bottle -- It depends. On my last Voyager of the Seas, no outside beverages at all were allowed, including cases or gallons of drinking water. On my other Voyager of the Seas cruises this was allowed. I'm not sure why the change, although Royal Caribbean does state that no outside beverages of any kind are allowed. Some ships such as Carnival allow you to take an unopened bottle of wine with you; some others such as Royal Caribbean do not.

Medications -- We use the weekly pill case for my wife -- no problems.

I am guessing it depends which port and/or cruiseline. I know here in Charleston you have to dump any open containers before going through security.

This is a great help. Really appreciate it.

Just flew in from Europe with a suitcase filled to 100% of its capacity. Then did quite a bit of shopping today.. (shampoo and other liquids)

So glad I don't have to repack completely for tomorrow's cruise departure :-)

My first cc post; but really wanted to say thank you!

Becky

Wow, so many helpful ideas. I guess I better leave the case of water at home. I certainly will not forget my 2 bottles of wine (unopened). As for the medication, I am leaving it in the original containers with only the amount needed & the weekly pill case. I plan on just throwing away the bottles after I fill the case. It just is not worth the risk of my son not getting his ADHD meds! Espcially since his medication is considered a controlled substance.:)

Archived