Disembarkation at End of Cruise

djr7879

For all of you Oceania regulars, a question:

We are on the Splendors of Down Under cruise on Regatta this February/March, and our last port is Auckland. The ship's published itinerary shows an 8 am arrival, although I'm sure we'll probably actually get there earlier. What is a reasonable expectation for when we should be able to disembark, gather our luggage, clear customs and be free to leave?

The reason for the question is our desire to catch an early tour, which begins at the ferry terminal at 10 am.

Thanks!

It is one of those question that does not have an answer ;)

It depends on if you have to clear immigration there

It depends if the officials are on time

it depends on if there are any problems with someone not reporting to the officials

Are you planning on flying out the same day as you arrive?

If you have a private tour the guides will usually wait

Lyn

As I remember it, Australia won't allow any foodstuffs into the country from cruise ships, so each passenger is checked, which makes disembarkation a little slower than most. But if you dock at 8 a.m. and have a tour at 10 a.m. you should be OK, but try to disembark earlier than you normally would.

Auckland is in New Zealand last time I checked

But maybe the rules are the same ;)

I sure hope so. Otherwise I think that 10 am tour is out of the question!! Seriously, though, thanks everyone for the words of wisdom.

Our experience was that, yes, Auckland is in New Zealand, not Australia ...

But the two countries pretty much have the same "food" rules. Don't try to bring anything in.

Also the same "catnip" rules if you are visiting a friend who has cats ...

Mura

• 2 weeks later...

About "food stuffs" - Is this considered to be fresh fruit, vegetables, etc. Or are packaged items such as peanut butter crackers, bars, permitted? The reason I ask, is due to diabetes, I should have some food with me. It can be important for my husband too. We are scheduled on the early Feb 2012 New Zealand & Austraila sailing, and plan to get off the boat at several ports. Prior to boarding we should have the ability to purchase things in the Auckland area, rather than rely on just things brought from the US.

When getting off the Constellation in May in France, I would have liked to take an apple with me, but saw the restrictions and didn't. With others we ended up with a very late lunch (3pm) and I almost didn't make it to that point.

I understand the reasons for the Ag concerns, but at the same time I need to have something with me besides glucose tablets.

About "food stuffs" - Is this considered to be fresh fruit, vegetables, etc. Or are packaged items such as peanut butter crackers, bars, permitted? The reason I ask, is due to diabetes, I should have some food with me. It can be important for my husband too. We are scheduled on the early Feb 2012 New Zealand & Austraila sailing, and plan to get off the boat at several ports. Prior to boarding we should have the ability to purchase things in the Auckland area, rather than rely on just things brought from the US.

When getting off the Constellation in May in France, I would have liked to take an apple with me, but saw the restrictions and didn't. With others we ended up with a very late lunch (3pm) and I almost didn't make it to that point.

I understand the reasons for the Ag concerns, but at the same time I need to have something with me besides glucose tablets.

Best policy is to show the items to customs and ask if they are permitted.

I suspect that the itmes you mention are permitted.

You might want to check their website and if the info is not posted, send them an e mail with your questions.

Thanks Paulchili- This situation is a wheel which has already been invented, I'm sure.

The diabetes, is relatively new to me, and I am learning the hard way. When I saw the mention of it in this thread, it reminded me to check things out & plan ahead. A note from my doc, to carry with me, is also on my packing list. Between that and all the TSA stuff, it's a royal pain in the you-know-where.

I usually carry protein bars with me incase lunch is way off my schedule

As Paul has already mentioned I would check the website for entering N.Z. & AUS

I believe it is fresh fruits & veg but package foods like granola bars are ok

I am sure you could pick something up along the route if you mention to the guide

Lyn

I'm guessing here but maybe part of the "problem" is Oceania. For example, they used to provide box lunches on request -- now they don't.

I'm sure that people can get a medical exemption if they ask for one, even in NZ and Australia.

I had a comical experience with the customs guy in Melbourne with some catnip I was bringing for friends. (I know from another list that catnip gifts sent in the mail are frequently rejected by Australian customs.) So I made sure to report it. They guy couldn't understand what catnip WAS ... why would they want it? I finally convinced him and he said "go ahead".

BUT, when we were leaving Australia at the end of the cruise they specifically asked if I still had the catnip! I am sure they would have confiscated it at that point even though I was leaving the country, not entering.

Mura

BUT, when we were leaving Australia at the end of the cruise they specifically asked if I still had the catnip! I am sure they would have confiscated it at that point even though I was leaving the country, not entering.

catnip-flwrs.JPG

My first thought was that catnip, which of course originates as a plant, is on the no fly list for entering the USA.

That could be the answer.

Of course we didn't have the PLANT ... we had the dried product.

But the U.S.A. might be just as resistant to that coming in as the Aussies are.

Cat lovers are left scratching their heads, however ...

Mura

I'm guessing here but maybe part of the "problem" is Oceania. For example, they used to provide box lunches on request -- now they don't.

Mura

Might be more to do with what is in the box ;)

What you can't take into New Zealand

Do not take any fruit or plants into New Zealand!

We cannot stress how important it is to not take fruit, animal products, plants or foodstuffs into New Zealand.

New Zealand is a group of islands and its economy is based upon exporting agricultural and horticultural goods. Customs and agricultural officers view any breach of the laws extremely seriously and they don't show leniency.

The NZ Customs website advises: "If in doubt, place all questionable items, especially fruit, into the marked bins before approaching the immigration area upon arrival at a New Zealand airport."

There are heavy fines so don't take the risk.

The banned items include:

Firearms and weapons, ivory, tortoise-shell or turtle-shell jewelry and ornaments, medicines using musk, rhinoceros, or tiger derivatives, anything made from whale bone or other marine animals, cat skins or coats.

Diuretics, tranquilisers, depressants, stimulants, cardiac drugs, and sleeping pills may not be allowed unless they are covered by a doctor's prescription.

People caught trying to import illegal drugs such as marijuana, cocaine and heroin face severe penalities in New Zealand.

I usually carry protein bars with me incase lunch is way off my schedule

As Paul has already mentioned I would check the website for entering N.Z. & AUS

I believe it is fresh fruits & veg but package foods like granola bars are ok

I am sure you could pick something up along the route if you mention to the guide

Lyn

I would agree with you and common sense would indicate for this to be so.

But...I just remembered that on our cruise in Australian ports (with Oceania) we were informed that even open water bottles were not permitted to be taken off the ship into port.

That one really got me - when is too much caution too much?

I would agree with you and common sense would indicate for this to be so.

But...I just remembered that on our cruise in Australian ports (with Oceania) we were informed that even open water bottles were not permitted to be taken off the ship into port.

That one really got me - when is too much caution too much?

YIKES that is way too much

I have never been "Down Under" so that is why I would check further

Maybe people can pick up snacks in the Country

I believe it is fresh fruits & veg but package foods like granola bars are ok I am sure you could pick something up along the route if you mention to the guide Lyn

And then the other 2 to 40 people on the van/bus are rolling their eyes at you, behind your back, for cutting into their time at the winery/historic park/nature preserve. While one runs around frantically at unfamiliar shops trying to locate what one needs quickly. :o If my DH doesn't get some protein/food in time, he gets a 2 day, almost migraine level headache, but he doesn't have the sugar restriction. We are a fairly active couple in our mid-60s. Probably like most of the other Oceania passengers.

Will check it out, and hopefully will be able to pick-up some of this stuff in NZ prior to boarding. Maybe they are less strict at stops than they are at final departure. And Clem, the cocker spaniel waiting at home, doesn't have to have imported Aussie dog treats (although he'd surely like to try some!)

It was nice at the larger train stations in Holland & Germany (and other places in Europe & NYC)..... one could pick up food there, and take it on the train. Thanks again, people.

Might be more to do with what is in the box ;)

Lyn,

Just for the record -- I wasn't talking about NZ/Australia when I mentioned the "no box lunches" ... as far as I know, it's that way on all cruises now.

It is true that NZ and Australia are more sensitive to foodstuffs being taken off the ship than other countries. And I understand the reason. I grew up in California that has similar restrictions.

But also, they didn't actually search us when we left the ship! If you have a "candy bar" or some such, it probably would be okay. And as I said before, if you are a diabetic who needs to have something along with you just in case, that probably can be arranged.

Mura

Will check it out, and hopefully will be able to pick-up some of this stuff in NZ prior to boarding. Maybe they are less strict at stops than they are at final departure. And Clem, the cocker spaniel waiting at home, doesn't have to have imported Aussie dog treats (although he'd surely like to try some!)

Thanks again, people.

IIRC, there is a very large food store not too far from the cruise ship terminal in Auckland - very short walk (no more than 10 min, if that).

I am sure you can find all sorts of things there.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

When I was flying into Australia (Brisbane) I had a small box of chocolates, still intact in the plastic, confiscated. They were a gift from the hotel in Singapore and stuffed them in my carryon and I forgot I had them. I remember the official was somewhat incredulous that I had stated that I was not bringing in "foodstuffs" and then they found those chocolates, Even if I had remembered having them I probably wouldn't have considered them "foodstuffs" either, but this official certainly did.

Archived