Pre-planning for a cruise

gecko12

All I check is itinerary, and dates....then cabin type. There are certain cabins I like, so if they aren't avail., I have to change my plans!

I've never looked at menus, or activities or "studied" the deck plans, although you should have them in front of you when booking...always.

I refine my packing list re-organize it. I read the cruise line's website for new features. I plan on-board extras like spa visits that I might not be able to get when I want if I wait until I'm on board.

Life is what happens while you're making plans!:p

Planning is part of life. To me, while it might not be as much fun as the cruise, it's still fun. It makes the cruise more enjoyable and it extends the "cruise feeling." I think of it like cruise foreplay. And it's a good part of life

The Ports of Call section of these boards is very helpful in learning different things about the places you are going: what to do, interesting and unusual things to see, etc. I would spend some time looking there, asking questions, and filtering through the answers and other threads. That way you get a better overall idea of what you want to do in the various ports.

Other than that, you might spend a little time on the Roll Call board for your cruise to see if you can interact with some other people who will be on board -- particularly if you want to find some extra people for a private excursion.

You could spend some time on the cruise line's section and learn some interesting and not-easily-found details about the ship.

You have been on a cruise before, so you don't need to study the deck plans too much. You will find your way around easily, and don't forget, you will get a deck plan when you get aboard.

flights if you need to fly, transportation after you arrive and to the port, hotel, transportation after disembarking documents for traveling (passports, id, birth cert).....

packing lists

making lists of what you need to do before you leave on your cruise (calling credit card companies-let them know you are traveling, stopping mail & paper etc)

all the planning, researching and preparing is one of things i look forward to before my cruise.

I've researched ports, studied the ship floor plan, looked at past menus, what other research should I do before my cruise?

If we are flying to an embarkation port I typically research the embarkation port city as we fly the day before. I like finding information on restaurants that we might want to eat in and at least one tourist attraction we might be able to enjoy pre-cruise.

Transportation to and from the airport - getting a good deal on parking if you drive. Someone to pick up your mail (or stopping it) and take care of pets if you have them. Email addresses or phone numbers if you plan to keep in touch... or address if you plan to send a postcard.

I always clear out my wallet and only bring the things I need. Assuming I'm driving to the airport, driver's license, AAA card, gas card, passport, 2 separate credit cards, medical card and passport. Oh, and lots and lots of cash, especially small bills.

Join your roll call! If you haven't selected a specific sailing, look at similar roll calls and see what kind of private tours are available. If you know you want to go on a tour with a specific guide, reserve now and form a group later. Good guides go fast! I've made reservations with guides over a year out! :)

All great ideas and more research for me, yea. I do enjoy the planning so it's wonderful to get more ideas. We are driving 8 hours to the port so I still need to look into hotel/parking. Also, I had not thought about a list of to dos before leaving ie. mail stop, pet care and so forth. On our last cruise we had problems withdrawing money using our ATM card so calling our bank to let them know we'll be traveling is another great idea. Also calling credit card companies too. As a just in case, I made copies of our passport and drivers license and carried them with me to every port.

Archived