I've Been Reading About Alaska.......

sail7seas

I don't mean to make this post sound negative but there is no other way that I can say it. Sounds to me like you will make your husband miserable if he was on an Alaska cruise w you. If he really wants to go, he should leave you home or let you go somewhere that you want to go and go by himself.

DON

Thanks, Don. :)

We'll be married 43 years this summer.

I suspect DH has made his choices and probably knows best as to whether he'd rather travel with or without me. We must have worked out all those issues long ago to have lasted this long. ;)

But I'll tell him your suggestion. ;)

sail

I also live in Boston I am taking Jet blue out of Boston its a non stop (direct flight to Seattle.

mary

We looked at Jet Blue but I seem to recall the return' date=' Seattle to Boston, wasn't very good. We fly Jet Blue to FLL though.

[/b']

Sail

Don't worry any cruise to Alaska will be fine. I think you might be back to see more. Don't worrry about rain you can get rain on any vacation. Think back last spring in Boston area all the rain we had. Think about any touriest that might have been to Boston at the time. telling people to stay away from Boston because of the heavy downpours and flooding. Alaska is wonderful. I cried and my heart raced at Tracy Arm (not sure if your going there. We could not get all the way in but what I saw was outstanding. All the ice I will never forget. the same with Hubbard glacier. I have been to Vancouver many times I LOVE the city. But I lovrd cruising out of Seattle. I will be cruising Alaska againa. I am taking same cruise as I did last year. Next cruise I want to go inland.

Mary

Hope you have a wonderful cruise hope you have great weather.

Thank you, Jo-bob, for a very thoughtful message.

Yes, hopefully, this will be one in a string of cruises to follow for us and I understand what you are saying that is not the case for everyone. I am extremely grateful and appreciative we are blessed to be able to cruise often. I do NOT take it for granted.

This thread is for all people reading it and helpful to anyone looking for advice as to the various Alaska cruises.

By all means, I will certainly post some comments when we return.

Everyone has been so generous in giving me all sorts of helpful ideas for things I'll enjoy doing in the various ports. DH has booked the excursions he really wants to do and I have booked one to do with him. The rest of the time, I plan to make good use of the wonderful suggestions made earlier in this thread for various ports on our itinerary.

Seeing we have chosen which cruise, have paid for it, booked our air and hotel stays...... it's too late now to be telling me I should have chosen a different cruise. IMO

I do know people mean well and also know the posts here are not just meant for me. :o

Thanks again.

Sail,

I have just read through this entire fascinating thread. I, like you, never really felt a desire to see Alaska. I am amazed at the sensitivity towards your husband you have shown in your research to take this Alaska trip. You really have gotten some valuable and interesting information for your trip....things that have enthused you and made your husband a happy man. You have been very kind to acknowledge the input of others, while maintaining what is important to you and your husband. I sincerely wish you a wonderful trip and I will look forward to hearing all of your news!!

Barbara:)

We often find that taking a cruise vacation opens up new doors that result in other vacations.

We never really had a desire to see Alaska either. When we finally got tired of paying for airfare to Europe, and the long flights, we decided to try Alaska. We took a last minute 7 day round-trip out of Seattle in July 2007. Not only did we enjoy the cruise but we fell in love with Seattle (yes, even when it rains) and Victoria. We have returned to the area several times on non cruise vacations.

We are taking the 14-day Explorer on the Amsterdam in June, and I can't wait. I understand that it is the last year for it, but happy that we are getting the opportunity to experience it.

I know I am in the minority, but I am always happy to get out of the Florida heat.

Sail, I must commend you for your patience and diplomacy in dealing with all the advice you've been given here, even after you booked the cruise. Some of these posters have been a bit over the top. 43 years is a long time to be married, and your DH is lucky to have someone so willing to be out of her comfort zone to please him. You are both lucky.

Sail, refer to post #87 in this thread (by me :) )

Quote:

Leaving from Seattle you will miss a day of scenic cruising between Vcr Island and the mainland. You will get great scenery approaching and IN Sitka, and Juneau. I think Tracy Arm is fabulous, BUT we were there on a day with full sun and 70F temps in late Sept, so we got nearly to the glaciers. In June, there may be a lot of ice, which might reduce how far into the fjord you can actually get.

Any trip is a trade-off -- you give up something to get something else. For you, leaving from Seattle is very important. So you miss a bit of other stuff. If you left from Vcr, you would have to give up leaving from Seattle, y'know? Only you can decide which is most important, and it sounds like you have. Oosterdam. Leaving from Seattle. It'll be fine.

EDITED TO ADD: Get off your balcony, and view from other areas of the ship. On a balcony you see only part of what is available. In Alaska you will be doing yourself a huge disservice to remain on your own balcony. Or at least insist that your DH get out and about to see the majesty of the area.

I've highlighted in red the part I especially want you to re-read ;)

Thank you, Cow Princess. What a nice post and certainly makes me feel like I'm not totally crazy. :eek: :D

Sail,

I have just read through this entire fascinating thread. I, like you, never really felt a desire to see Alaska. I am amazed at the sensitivity towards your husband you have shown in your research to take this Alaska trip. You really have gotten some valuable and interesting information for your trip....things that have enthused you and made your husband a happy man. You have been very kind to acknowledge the input of others, while maintaining what is important to you and your husband. I sincerely wish you a wonderful trip and I will look forward to hearing all of your news!!

Barbara:)

We often find that taking a cruise vacation opens up new doors that result in other vacations.

We never really had a desire to see Alaska either. When we finally got tired of paying for airfare to Europe, and the long flights, we decided to try Alaska. We took a last minute 7 day round-trip out of Seattle in July 2007. Not only did we enjoy the cruise but we fell in love with Seattle (yes, even when it rains) and Victoria. We have returned to the area several times on non cruise vacations.

We are taking the 14-day Explorer on the Amsterdam in June, and I can't wait. I understand that it is the last year for it, but happy that we are getting the opportunity to experience it.

I know I am in the minority, but I am always happy to get out of the Florida heat.

Sail, I must commend you for your patience and diplomacy in dealing with all the advice you've been given here, even after you booked the cruise. Some of these posters have been a bit over the top. 43 years is a long time to be married, and your DH is lucky to have someone so willing to be out of her comfort zone to please him. You are both lucky.

Many thanks. :)

I'll post some comments when we return.

I promise to have the best possible time. :)

Sail: Sorry, about my post that you and others have referred to. I didn't notice the first day of your message and had only seen that you were "thinking" about a couple of different cruises, so my suggestions were just that…

Apparently this was an "old thread" that had been resurrected after you had made your choices. I'm sorry if you took the "advice" wrong,

I'm happy you've made a decision and know that you will enjoy Alaska no matter what you are taking! (Hence our 4 cruises…and we're now returning for 3 weeks on our own to do the interior…we love Alaska!)

Enjoy the trip…I'm sure it probably won't be your last!

Ignore the naysayers. What part of "this is the itinerary we're going on" don't they understand? ANY part of Alaska you see will blow you away. Incredible scenery.

I don't agree that any part of Alaska will blow you away. Some itineraries are definitely better than others, especially for anyone who thinks this is a once in a lifetime trip. However, I do agree that anyone can have a great time on pretty much any of the itineraries and get a good taste of Alaska. If you research where your ship is going, you can surely get an experience of a lifetime. Carefull planning is what is necessary.

The problem with such a long thread as this, is many people just read the first post or just a few posts and then make their response. They miss the post that says the OP has already made their decision and booked. They continue to offer their suggestions not realizing the OP already finalized plans. I see this happen very often, esp. on the threads that go on for pages and pages like this one. I don't think we need to be rude to those who missed the post. Not everyone has the time to read through nine+ pages. They see a title that interests them, read a few posts and respond in a way they think is being helpful. No reason to berate posters for trying to help. JMHO

Sail~Have a great time. As you can see from my signature, it took me over 10 years to agree to cruise again after my first cruise. My in laws booked the cruise for us as a gift and Alaska was on my dh's wish list (not mine, I wanted the Caribbean if anything at all). I LOVED the scenery. I LOVED the Zaandam. When dh and I were flying home, we both agreed that we would return to Alaska someday.

Sail....this cruise is a win-win situation for you. You are cruising (which you love) with someone you love, on a cruiseline you love.

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. We all have our preferences. Cruising is like a buffet.....no choice is better than another. We are all individuals and as such, we have the right to choose what we want. Just because someone else has a different opinion doesn't mean it would work for you. Crusiing is not a one-size-fits-all experience.

Seattle is a beautiful city. Last year we sailed from Seattle to the South Pacific, and I loved the city and the people I met. I went down to Pikes Market and purchased a vase ($8) and a beautiful bouquet of flowers ($10) and carried them aboard Westerdam for our adventure to the South Pacific.

I love Alaska. I hope you will enjoy your cruise. It's beautiful and clean and pure. I believe that your DH will find that Alaska is everything he ever hoped it would be. I think you will be happy that you took this cruise.

Sail~Have a great time. As you can see from my signature, it took me over 10 years to agree to cruise again after my first cruise. My in laws booked the cruise for us as a gift and Alaska was on my dh's wish list (not mine, I wanted the Caribbean if anything at all). I LOVED the scenery. I LOVED the Zaandam. When dh and I were flying home, we both agreed that we would return to Alaska someday.

Sail....this cruise is a win-win situation for you. You are cruising (which you love) with someone you love, on a cruiseline you love.

It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. We all have our preferences. Cruising is like a buffet.....no choice is better than another. We are all individuals and as such, we have the right to choose what we want. Just because someone else has a different opinion doesn't mean it would work for you. Crusiing is not a one-size-fits-all experience.

Seattle is a beautiful city. Last year we sailed from Seattle to the South Pacific, and I loved the city and the people I met. I went down to Pikes Market and purchased a vase ($8) and a beautiful bouquet of flowers ($10) and carried them aboard Westerdam for our adventure to the South Pacific.

I love Alaska. I hope you will enjoy your cruise. It's beautiful and clean and pure. I believe that your DH will find that Alaska is everything he ever hoped it would be. I think you will be happy that you took this cruise.

What nice messages. Thank you so much. :)

Tomorrow is my 'shopping day' to find a few things we'll need. I am determined we will not lug a ton of suitcases but will mix and match, dress in layers and manage with whatever I bring. :)

I booked a Pinnacle reservation last night and DH has booked some excursions...... he even found one on which I will join him. :)

Maybe an eagle will fly right over aft pool and I'll see it or a bear will stand up on the shore when we sail by and wave. :D I'll be sure to wave back. Any chance I'll see a whale from my veranda? ;) I'm being sarcastic, of course, but I am laying the groundwork so DH will not expect me to go kayaking!!!! :eek:

I'm very much looking forward to our stay in Seattle. That should be lots of fun as I have wanted to visit there for years.

Mayb

Right up frnt I must say I've not had the chance to read this whole thread, so I'm sorry I've missed things.

I just wanted to say that you might come away totally blown away by the majesty that is Alaska. Like you, I booked Alaska last year for my husband mostly. I adore Europe travel but knew he'd always wanted to see Alaska. So I booked us a 5 day inland tour and Inside Passage down, and was virtually mesmerized by the raw beauty everywhere we went. I have never been so thrilled that I set my desires aside and looked to something I knew he's wanted to do and see. We, the 4 of us traveling friends, were enthralled by the entire trip and proclaimed it one of the best ever. He hasn't stopped telling friends about it!;)

The moment a Mamma Bear and her 3 cubs walked right up to our van on the side of the road on the way back from Emerald Lake made me feel like a kid on Christmas morning. As New Englanders we've seen moose, bear, deer, fox, coyotes, eagles...all in our backyards at various times.....somehow in Alaska they looked different and wowed us with each sighting. I could have patted Mamma Bear from the window she was that close....I was actually speechless and snapping off shot after shot of her and the little ones. Priceless memory.

I gather you will be in Seattle for a few days.....we stopped off there on the way to meet our new grandchild last year and discovered the most delightful city. I don't know where you've booked to stay but if you ( or any future cruisers from Seattle) haven't been there before may I recommend a fantastic restaurant with a view back to the lights of Seattle that is stunningly beautiful at night. Our concierge told us about it...and arranged for their courtesy limo to pick us up and bring us back. It was a fabulous meal and a fabulous evening. We felt like royalty! The name is Salty's and it's on Alki Beach which looks across the Bay back to the city....yet it's not a long ride to get there. call them to ask for the limo service..it was free. Well worth the time to do. I'm only sorry that the kids are moving back east next month so I don't have an excuse to go back to Seattle!

Pikes Market could hold my attention all day...buy yourself some of the amazing flowers to take on the ship...beautiful and cheap! Loved the place....Seattle is a delight in every way.

We chose to do this trip super casual and the men didn't even bring a jacket....we ate in the Lido most nights ( Princess MDR food is not high on our list) and watched the scenery glide by as we enjoyed our dinner. A large majority of people were very casually dressed in the evenings after having very active, full days on shore. We never felt out of place dressed in sweaters and khakis at night....

Most of all have a fabulous trip. ENjoy that little boy look on your husband's face....that is one of my favorite memories of this trip.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s “Affair to Remember” QM2 Review Dec. 2006

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...QM2 to the Caribbean again

October 16,2008...QM2 transatlantic in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage.

December 9, 2008...QM2...back to the Caribbean

July 30, 2009....QM2....transatlantic again...

August 7, 2009....QM2... “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....Emerald Princess to the Caribbean

Aug 14, 2010...QM2... return to Norway, all the way to the top!

Aug 22, 2011...Diamond Princess....North to Alaska!!

Dec 2,2011...Noordam to the Caribbean...outstanding! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544173

2012...Assorted trips

2012...Booked on the lovely Noordam again

Maybe an eagle will fly right over aft pool and I'll see it or a bear will stand up on the shore when we sail by and wave. :D I'll be sure to wave back. Any chance I'll see a whale from my veranda? ;) I'm being sarcastic, of course, but I am laying the groundwork so DH will not expect me to go kayaking!!!!

You will probably see whales from the ship. We have every time! On one trip (the Zaandam), the Captain would announce the whale sightings over the loudspeakers on deck. We even saw some while we were at dinner. (We had an aft window table.) Half the dining room would rush to the aft windows between and around our table and the others. :eek::D

Robin

What nice messages. Thank you so much. :)

Tomorrow is my 'shopping day' to find a few things we'll need. I am determined we will not lug a ton of suitcases but will mix and match, dress in layers and manage with whatever I bring. :)

I booked a Pinnacle reservation last night and DH has booked some excursions...... he even found one on which I will join him. :)

Maybe an eagle will fly right over aft pool and I'll see it or a bear will stand up on the shore when we sail by and wave. :D I'll be sure to wave back. Any chance I'll see a whale from my veranda? ;) I'm being sarcastic, of course, but I am laying the groundwork so DH will not expect me to go kayaking!!!! :eek:

I'm very much looking forward to our stay in Seattle. That should be lots of fun as I have wanted to visit there for years.

Mayb

You might. We saw a pod of killer whales from the Radiance. Unfortunately, we were on the elevator - and they were going the opposite direction - so by the time we got to somewhere I could take a picture from they were too far away.

Which excursion are you going on?

You could certainly see whales from your verandah - IF you put in the time and the effort. Twice we had a balcony cabin for Alaska (also on the Oosterdam - she's what made me fall in love w/AK - be careful, Sail, you might enjoy it more than you think!;)) - and we spent every waking moment out there, binoculars to our eyes, watching for the tell tale spray, humps or tails. We were greatly rewarded:D! The second and third time we sailed to Alaska on the Amsterdam['s 14 day itinerary and the cost of a balcony was just to great, so we went with oceanview cabins. We discovered the "secret aft deck" on the Navigation deck, which happened to be just five steps from our cabin in 2010, and spent every waking moment out there - along with several others from our Roll Call - and we were once again mightily rewarded with numerous sightings of both humpbacks and orcas. This last time, we got an OV on the Main deck, again near the aft - three cabins away from another "secret deck" and yup, you guessed it - spent many hours out there as well as on the L. Promenade Deck which was just one flight of stairs away, as well as the aft on the Navigation deck. Bingo! Ton of whales were spotted! You've just got to put in the time. Naturally, it is nothing like you'll see from a designated whale watch excursion - often they are quite a distance away (hence good wide angle binoculars are necessary), but we saw them - many and often. Good luck.

Also - regarding your comment about the eagle soaring over your head on the aft of the Oosterdam. Well, it happened to us on our very first AK cruise on the lovely O. We were docked in Juneau, sitting in the aft hot tub w/adult beverage in hand when an eagle soared literally yards over our head, riding the thermals it appeared he was stationary. It was absolutely breathtaking with Mt. Roberts as a backdrop, mist hanging on the mountain top and an eagle overhead. Can't beat that!

Oh my.......

I need to be very careful all you great people don't get me actually eager and excited about this cruise.

It's all starting to sound quite wonderful!!!

Imagine an eagle soaring right overhead while at aft pool. :eek: What a sight that must have been.

We live in Boston and there are lots of day whale watching trips offered. :o We've never gone so seems I have a better chance of seeing a whale in Alaska than here at home where people earn their living taking folks out for whale watching excursions. :)

I'm starting to look forward to this 'adventure'....... more than I was when we made the booking.

Oh my.......

I need to be very careful all you great people don't get me actually eager and excited about this cruise.

It's all starting to sound quite wonderful!!!

Imagine an eagle soaring right overhead while at aft pool. :eek: What a sight that must have been.

We live in Boston and there are lots of day whale watching trips offered. :o We've never gone so seems I have a better chance of seeing a whale in Alaska than here at home where people earn their living taking folks out for whale watching excursions. :)

I'm starting to look forward to this 'adventure'....... more than I was when we made the booking.

Hi Sail,

I just saw this thread, and have not read through all the posts.

Just wanted to say, I think you will really enjoy Alaska.

We are taking our grown kids on a family cruise to Alaska in August. It will be our second time, their first.

Since you are shopping...

I found that down vests are terrific. You can easily layer under with a long sleeve t-shirt, or over with a heavier jacket.

And, about whales...

Yes, I did see a whale from my balcony. It was amazing. I hope you get to see some, too.

Sure hope you will write a review when you return so you can share all of your wonderful experiences.

Have fun!

I was also reluctant to try Alaska - I really don't like the cold and it was freezing in Glacier Bay. I'm glad now that we went but I don't think we'd do it again. I prefer warmer climes.

We stayed on in Seattle too. We were there for 1st July and had a great time, we were also very lucky with the weather. Do try the Ducks of Seattle , we giggled all the way around - loved it. We also went shopping in Bellevue (?) which had a very good shopping centre (we'd exahusted all the Seattle shops :D) which was easily reached on one of those odd trains/bus thingies.

Oh, and there are far better coffee shops than Starmucks.:cool:

Archived