Brisbane to Sydney by train

iain48

We have booked a Diamond Princess Sydney to Auckland cruise for February 2013. I know it is a long way out but have started planning already. We will fly from UK to Australia and will visit some friends in Brisbane before continuing to Sydney to board ship. As we will be doing plenty of flying we have considered taking a train from Brisbane to Sydney. Just for a change of transport method and to see some scenery. Could anyone give me advice on comfort, punctuality etc. Or should I stick to flying. I know it is about an eighteen hour trip.

Thanks Iain

Iain

It has been about a hundred years since I last got a train between Brisbane and Sydney - but things have improved a lot since then (so I understand).

I think it would be an excellent idea for you to see a bit of Australia ( flying between Brisbane and Sydney , you will see and experience nothing except the agro of airports! :)

We are a bit "behind" regarding rail travel here - when you compare us to Europe, but I think we match the US rail travel quite well (I know more about US Amtrak than I do about Australian rail). Have a look at this UK rail enthusiasts website http://www.seat61.com/Australia.htm#Sydney - Melbourne, Canberra, Brisbane

Barry

Recently travelled from Brisbane by train to NSW. Best train is the early morning approx 6.00 am from Roma Street, Brisbane (major transport hub in Brisbane). This train -XPT- travels without having to share with coaches as part of the trip (unless there is trackwork). Travel first class if possible - close to buffet carriage and a little more leg room with drop down table. Plenty of room for luggage storage at end of each carriage. Views were beautiful - loved coming down to the coast from mountains to Coffs Harbour and then later for kms along the Gloucester River. Thought it was about 15-16 hours to Sydney. I really enjoyed it and even the food wasn't too bad.

I think the train is a good idea. The north coast line is slow but worth the views ,and a good way to see New South Wales.

My 15 y old daughter and I recently did the trip for approx $80 total price. Her fare was $1. Naturally it was a cheap fare.

I find economy is quite ok and when booking it 'pays' to ask for the best price and any deals etc.

I never use first class as its just overpriced. As for being reliable its good . If the XPT loco should fail Country link have coaches on standby.

Enjoy

FF

Just so you know that the trains down here are no where near the standards you are used to in the UK.

I was in UK last year and was impressed being on a train from Glasgow back to London in a quick amount of time.

Between Sydney and Brisbane you would be looking at a 14/15hour train trip over a distance of 750km. Fares start at $110 each.

On a flight you would be looking at an hour similar price if booked here.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Iain

What a great idea especially for a visitor. I live half way on the rail line between Brisbane and Sydney and recently travelled to Sydney by rail. It was a wonderful experience and I saw so much more than I usually see travelling by car. here is the link to the service.

According to the timetable it is 13.5 hours (you lose 1 hour because Sydney is on daylightsaving) and you actually depart at 6.30 am

Fares are $91.18 economy

$69 economy saver (not sure what this is)

$128.30 first class

The first class car in the Buffett area is best as some first class seats are 3 person and are facing backwards

I didn't mind the economy seats - but I had 2 to myself

Di

http://www.countrylink.info/

Archived