Cost per day to use laptop in room?

summersfunnc

If I bring my laptop with me what can I expect to pay for internet access for a week. Many Thanks

Prices are quite high, you might want to search out some internet cafe places in the ports your visiting as another possible option. Also the data speed will be much slower at sea than your probably used to.

http://www2.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access

pay as you go...about 75 cents per minute. bundles of minutes:

250 minutes for $100, which is about 40 cents per minute.

If you keep your computer on the entire time and get the largest package of minutes each time, it'll cost you just a bit under $4000 for the entire cruise. . ..

But yes, its charged per minute and you should use your minutes judiciously if you do get a package.

before some asks - they always do -

The rate for internet access is the same with wired or wireless. Your computer or theirs. Iphone, Ipad, notebook.... does not matter. Internet access is the same cost no matter what.

before some asks - they always do -

The rate for internet access is the same with wired or wireless. Your computer or theirs. Iphone, Ipad, notebook.... does not matter. Internet access is the same cost no matter what.

Not to be difficult but not entirely true. . . For instance, having an iphone on Verizon with intl data. It's 64.99/mo - it covers most cruise ships and all internet data usage is covered under the plan. . Some can't get the flat rate intl data plan anymore but you can get packages ranging from $30 to $125 for 50 to 300mb of data.

But yes, if you use their per minute plan over wifi, then yes the internet pricing is the same. However, internet via cellular can be all over the board.

You buy packages and must pay a $3.95 one-time fee. We usually go with a 250-minute package for $100. Later in the week, you may see discounted packages so people can get their boarding passes etc.

WOW!! That is incredibly expensive!! :eek: That comes out to 40 cents PER MINUTE of Internet time!!

I get unlimited Internet service at home (IOW, the full 43,200 minutes in a 30 day month) for just $42. That comes out to about 5.8 cents PER HOUR of Internet time!!

Do the math. With 43,200 minutes in a 30 day month, what is the monthy rate if you get charged 40 cents PER MINUTE??

I cannot imagine ANYTHING on the Internet that is soooooooooo vital and sooooooooo important that it would justify paying those rates!

Honestly, is it so hard to just stay off the Internet for a week?

If you're going to be sending out email, it really is a good idea to use your own laptop rather than NCL's computers so that you can compose your messages offline. I'm a really slow typist who edits everything ad nauseam and my minutes disappeared quickly when working completely online. Plus, I'd often lose my missives when the connection was lost and I had to start over later. :(

We always hit an internet cafe in the ports ... usually about $2 an hour or so, and much faster than the sloooooow connection on board. I still buy minutes on board, but just go to the Internet Cafe on the ship; adding the slow wireless to the dial-up speed connection makes it doubly frustrating. I leave my laptop at home now.

I partition my time; I hit my gmail account on board for any important messages (skipping dozens), then hit my work email (when I was working) and then log off. It is way too slow for web surfing or catching up on something on Hulu.

I cannot imagine ANYTHING on the Internet that is soooooooooo vital and sooooooooo important that it would justify paying those rates!

I sorta feel that way about most "upcharge" things people complain about on here, like the price of booze, the price of soda (or not their brand), etc.

However, if you do need to email, do all your reading and composing off-line as stated above. Also, don't bother with Skype or Facetime. The connection generally isn't fast enough to transmit video

i dont know if this helps, but we just had the pay as you go recently- I brougt my iphone and had it on airplane mode with all the data turned off for the whole trip, and i would just log into the internet- download my emails and go off line again.. it was easier to use my iphone because you dont need to go to the website and log in- you just had to update the inbox.. at the end of the cruise printing off our boarding passes was a nightmare that was very expensive because of all the people doing the same thing as we were that day.. they seemed to have packages for like 15 mins towards the end of the cruise so people could do just that..

Because I run a Sports media biz., even though I have good people working with me, I needed my E-mail every day, esp. since I was monitoring the pace of 2 major projects we're doing with partner companies. I did Bring my 13" core i5 Macbook Pro w/LaCie 500GB "rugged" tri-Interface back up drive. DW had her iPad & I had my iPod Touch.

I Bought: the $55 plan(100 Mins + the ten free through the cupon which the INternet manager was nice enough to "double" for me since I "schmoozed" him up a bit about MACS) and later in the cruise(next to last day) bought an additional 30 mins for $12 when I was down to about 11 mins. left on my orig. plan. I also had my 3/4G hotspot with me(ZTE PEEL+ From Sprint) and used it in both The Dockyard & in Hamilton, as well as on the ferries.

I much prefer my own devices( My MBP, DW's iPad, My iPod Touch) then the "terminals" NCL provides, But If your not a "power" user, I guess it doesn't matter. Also saw no difference from the hardwired Cat. 5 port in the room and the Ships' wireless: they are both Slow, but it's not as bad as some here make it out to be. There is a "noticeable Bottleneck" in connecting through the sat. but once your connected to a host like Gmail or Yahoo it's about the same as any public Wi-Fi connection. Because our cabin was Port side we faced away from the dockyard, so I never saw the "Free" Wi-Fi that folks were talking about getting in their cabins on the starboard side...

Bill(DrFootball)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." -Vince Lombardi

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final beta for Mac

WOW!! That is incredibly expensive!! :eek: That comes out to 40 cents PER MINUTE of Internet time!!

I get unlimited Internet service at home (IOW, the full 43,200 minutes in a 30 day month) for just $42. That comes out to about 5.8 cents PER HOUR of Internet time!!

You are right to use satellite internet on the ship is extremely costly compared to what we all get at our homes.

There are many reasons that people would choose to pay for this service.

Some people do not have the luxury of so many weeks paid holidays that they can just sit back and relax. Like Dr. Football we run a business and can’t take anymore than a day off. In order to allow us to take any type of holiday we have to have access to our business. I actually have many photos of my DH on vacation, sitting either at a hotel room desk, a picnic table on our campsite, or on a lounger by the pool in Vegas surrounded by paperwork. If I have to give up a couple of hours on vacation for work in order to get to go, I’ll take it anyway I can get it.

Some people take a “romantic get away” leaving children at home but feel more relaxed with the ability to have contact with them. Or so their children do not miss them so much.

Some people have other family members for various reasons they want to keep up to date on. Or loved family pets they have left behind that they wish to check on.

Others may love cruising but just not like the isolation of not being in touch with those they love, so may want to touch base.

As you can see there are many reasons why to some it is “so hard to just stay off the internet for a week”. People spend money on what they feel is worth it to them. There are those who drink and have large bar bills, spa bills, upcharge restaurants, suites etc. I personally don’t understand anyone that spends lots of money on those things, but if that’s what gives them enjoyment, go for it.

Regarding your statement “I cannot imagine ANYTHING on the Internet that is soooooooooo vital and sooooooooo important that it would justify paying those rates!” How about being able to eat and put a roof over your head. If our business crashes so does our ability to live.

I can appreciate that there is nothing internet wise that is important enough for you to spend that kind of money. But you perhaps shouldn't be so quick to judge other peoples needs or wants.

..... at the end of the cruise printing off our boarding passes was a nightmare that was very expensive because of all the people doing the same thing as we were that day.. ...

There is no reason to print out boarding passes onboard. Save your time and money and do not bother with that. Print them at the kiosk at the airport.

Some of us certainly have to use the internet on a cruise with no choice. I have not had a paid vacation in 11 years. When I am out of my office, I have to be in touch. Like the previous poster said, I have to put a roof over my head. To me the benefits of working for myself far out weigh the slight negatives of having to use a computer while on vacation.

You are right to use satellite internet on the ship is extremely costly compared to what we all get at our homes.

There are many reasons that people would choose to pay for this service.

Some people do not have the luxury of so many weeks paid holidays that they can just sit back and relax. Like Dr. Football we run a business and can’t take anymore than a day off. In order to allow us to take any type of holiday we have to have access to our business. I actually have many photos of my DH on vacation, sitting either at a hotel room desk, a picnic table on our campsite, or on a lounger by the pool in Vegas surrounded by paperwork. If I have to give up a couple of hours on vacation for work in order to get to go, I’ll take it anyway I can get it.

Some people take a “romantic get away” leaving children at home but feel more relaxed with the ability to have contact with them. Or so their children do not miss them so much.

Some people have other family members for various reasons they want to keep up to date on. Or loved family pets they have left behind that they wish to check on.

Others may love cruising but just not like the isolation of not being in touch with those they love, so may want to touch base.

As you can see there are many reasons why to some it is “so hard to just stay off the internet for a week”. People spend money on what they feel is worth it to them. There are those who drink and have large bar bills, spa bills, upcharge restaurants, suites etc. I personally don’t understand anyone that spends lots of money on those things, but if that’s what gives them enjoyment, go for it.

Regarding your statement “I cannot imagine ANYTHING on the Internet that is soooooooooo vital and sooooooooo important that it would justify paying those rates!” How about being able to eat and put a roof over your head. If our business crashes so does our ability to live.

I can appreciate that there is nothing internet wise that is important enough for you to spend that kind of money. But you perhaps shouldn't be so quick to judge other peoples needs or wants.

Sorry, but if your access to the internet to run your business is THAT vital, then perhaps the smart businessperson should not choose the type of vacation that offers restrictions on access.

Seems like a land-based vacation with dedicated access would be the smart choice.

Sorry, but if your access to the internet to run your business is THAT vital, then perhaps the smart businessperson should not choose the type of vacation that offers restrictions on access.

Seems like a land-based vacation with dedicated access would be the smart choice.

I spent over 20 years with 4 one week vacations because we could not go away. Now with technology at our fingertips I can go on whatever vacation that I have connections to today's technology, which the ship has. And if I choose to spend my $200 on internet instead of a bar bill how is that a sillier expense? At least my $200 keeps a roof over my head and doesn't give me a hangover or go down the drain.

I am not complaining about my bill at the end, why are you concerned where my money is going? I'm not exactly sure why you feel that I should be confined to a certain form of vacation when I do not take issue with the cost of onboard internet.

And NCL internet does not "offer restrictions on access" I can do whatever I need to,

I could totally understand your rebuttal if I was on here complaining about the cost of ship internet, but I'm not, nor have I ever. As a matter of fact I'm thrilled that they offer it for the above reasons.

Seriously I hope your on board account at the end of your cruise is nothing more than you DSC. Because I would probably feel that you wasted your money on anything else. Do I truthfully care? No. Spend your money as you like, but on the other hand respect the fact that I wish do the same thing.

<chuckle> I find it interesting why certain people always feel like they need to judge what others should do with their time, their money, their choices. . . . .

If someone chooses to spend $3000 on data connectivity services on their vacation - so be it. It's their choice and if they want to take their work with them - its their choice as well. Why are people wanting to judge and determine whether they are allowed to work or stay in touch while they are on vacation. Carry this further - why are people trying to determine how people take their own vacation.

I am probably in the 1% here in terms of spending and being connected to my business. I don't need to justify it to anybody but apparently some people feel that their version of what a vacation and what one spends it on is the "correct" way ? please. . ..

Yes. Instances we've had to be on the internet at sea:

1) Work project needs completion and it was either cancel the cruise or spend some time on email passing documents, etc.

2) Taking college courses online, and it was much cheaper to cruise during classes and spend a little cash to be on the internet, so the internet won.

3) Communicating with our cat sitter very briefly. It was cheaper than phone charges.

4) Posting briefly about our vacation on Facebook-cheaper and easier than sending 20 postcards!

I spent over 20 years with 4 one week vacations because we could not go away. Now with technology at our fingertips I can go on whatever vacation that I have connections to today's technology, which the ship has. And if I choose to spend my $200 on internet instead of a bar bill how is that a sillier expense? At least my $200 keeps a roof over my head and doesn't give me a hangover or go down the drain.

I am not complaining about my bill at the end, why are you concerned where my money is going? I'm not exactly sure why you feel that I should be confined to a certain form of vacation when I do not take issue with the cost of onboard internet.

And NCL internet does not "offer restrictions on access" I can do whatever I need to,

I could totally understand your rebuttal if I was on here complaining about the cost of ship internet, but I'm not, nor have I ever. As a matter of fact I'm thrilled that they offer it for the above reasons.

Seriously I hope your on board account at the end of your cruise is nothing more than you DSC. Because I would probably feel that you wasted your money on anything else. Do I truthfully care? No. Spend your money as you like, but on the other hand respect the fact that I wish do the same thing.

I totally can...however, it is YOU that doesn't respect the opinions of others.

Go back and read my original post. I said I (read that word again: "I") can't see why...

This is MY opinion. Yours may differ. I never said you couldn't...I just said I don't see why. Ever since, you've been arguing that somehow my opinion is wrong just because yours is different....you haven't changed anything. I still don't see any valid reason to spend that kind of money to be on the Internet.

Why can't you just let me have my opinion?

I totally can...however, it is YOU that doesn't respect the opinions of others.

Go back and read my original post. I said I (read that word again: "I") can't see why...

This is MY opinion. Yours may differ. I never said you couldn't...I just said I don't see why. Ever since, you've been arguing that somehow my opinion is wrong just because yours is different....you haven't changed anything. I still don't see any valid reason to spend that kind of money to be on the Internet.

Why can't you just let me have my opinion?

That makes sense, you aren't an IT consultant with over web servers around the world that *need* to stay up so your clients websites don't go down.

We all can't just set up Outlook Auto-Responsers and let go for a week - I take working vacations, so I can respond to issues with servers if they arise, or a law statute changes and needs to be reflected on numerous websites.

Work as an web / IT consultant for a lawyer and an large eCommerce operation and you'll "see why".

Not everyone is working in an environment where they are just another brick in the wall, and have the rest support their duties while gone. It's called empathy, try it out sometime :rolleyes:

Archived