Dress code in Blu

louise44

We're leaving on the Silhouette on the 12th(:)), so I wanted to hear from a Celebrity rep directly on the matter....I called their call center, spoke to 'Phoenicia', and related the stories told on this site of maitre'd's enforcing formal dressware in Blu on formal night, irregardless of published policy.

She put me on a brief hold to consult with the supervisor on duty.

She came back and said that they were going to turn it over to their IT department to correct the publications that on formal night, formal dress is required in Blu. I told her that this has been ongoing and am surprised it hasn't been already addressed, but I will be bringing my suit.....

The change to smart casual is a new thing, I would seriously doubt they are going to change it back to formal. Just to point out something to you but Celebritys call centers are notorious for giving out the wrong information, they have been doing it for years....

Good grief - a bit touchy aren't we?

I'll agree with you that Airline Chicken is normally a "Plan B" option on the daily menu in BLU, but after your aborted efforts to count tuxes surely it didn't escape you that Airline Chicken had been promoted to featured entree status for Thanksgiving - it was the only menu offering that had once had feathers. They did indeed offer a filet on Thanksgiving for those who weren't already beefed out - also a pasta and a fish entree - but they definitely promoted Airline Chicken to main entree status for that meal.

I tend not to give a lot of credence to people who post completely false information with a 3 post history. You implied Airline chicken was the only main entree that day, not that your server recommended it when you demanded "something that had feathers".

I'd rather have a nice piece of beef any day cooked to order rather than two sorry pieces of turkey cooked ahead for 2000 diners, but I guess that's just me.

I tend not to give a lot of credence to people who post completely false information with a 3 post history. You implied Airline chicken was the only main entree that day, not that your server recommended it when you demanded "something that had feathers".

I'd rather have a nice piece of beef any day cooked to order rather than two sorry pieces of turkey cooked ahead for 2000 diners, but I guess that's just me.

When I saw that you had rejoined the thread, my first thought was that you were going to apologize for making an out-of-line comment, pleading perhaps stress or overwork. Instead, you offer a lame defense and continue to attack this gentleman who did nothing but offer his own experience to the board?

Shame on you, sir.

Don,

Agree with your observation and as I noted, their web site is morphing. Contradictions are too easy to come by. I had studied it before my 11/18 sailing to be certain I had the latest info in hand - and we had no problem with smart casual on formal nights.

We noticed in some on board literature that BLU wasn't counted among the specialty restaurants, and found that curious. We're planning a March cruise with our married kids and all were delighted to be able to skip the extra luggage formal attire requires. I decided to revisit the web site when we returned and saw that references to BLU as a specialty restaurant are disappearing.

Having pronounced that dining in BLU in smart casual wear was not an issue on Silhouette, the emerging discrepancies that I was observing made it seem prudent to temper my report with a caution that things may still be changing. We had no issues with smart casual dress, and tuxes were the clear minority at our seating in BLU (we weren't at all offended by their presence:)) but our experience might not hold true for future cruises.

RCCL/Celebrity accomplishes enormous tasks with remarkable execution - but I'm continually amazed by the little issues they struggle with.

I still fail to see why we, as passengers, should be expected to somehow gain psychic abilities to foretell the future, since all the current literature says that Blu is NOT formal.

It shouldn't matter AT ALL whether the literature is the new policy, whether it's a mistake, or whether the Celebrity-brass has decided against continuing this new policy, and will change it back. All that matters is that they are telling us RIGHT NOW that Blu is not formal. And therefore that information is what passengers should be using to plan for their upcoming cruise, unless told otherwise BEFORE THEY PACK AND LEAVE HOME. This current rumor storm is absolutely ridiculous.:mad:

Celebrity - You listening to this thread?

I still fail to see why we, as passengers, should be expected to somehow gain psychic abilities to foretell the future, since all the current literature says that Blu is NOT formal.

It shouldn't matter AT ALL whether the literature is the new policy, whether it's a mistake, or whether the Celebrity-brass has decided against continuing this new policy, and will change it back. All that matters is that they are telling us RIGHT NOW that Blu is not formal. And therefore that information is what passengers should be using to plan for their upcoming cruise, unless told otherwise BEFORE THEY PACK AND LEAVE HOME. This current rumor storm is absolutely ridiculous.:mad:

Celebrity - You listening to this thread?

I agree that everyone should follow the stated rule as it currently exists and that since there seems to be so much confusion, the sooner Celebrity gets it corrected and all publications changed back to all venues being formal on formal nights, the less confusion there will be.

Don,

Agree with your observation and as I noted, their web site is morphing. Contradictions are too easy to come by. I had studied it before my 11/18 sailing to be certain I had the latest info in hand - and we had no problem with smart casual on formal nights.

We noticed in some on board literature that BLU wasn't counted among the specialty restaurants, and found that curious. We're planning a March cruise with our married kids and all were delighted to be able to skip the extra luggage formal attire requires. I decided to revisit the web site when we returned and saw that references to BLU as a specialty restaurant are disappearing.

Having pronounced that dining in BLU in smart casual wear was not an issue on Silhouette, the emerging discrepancies that I was observing made it seem prudent to temper my report with a caution that things may still be changing. We had no issues with smart casual dress, and tuxes were the clear minority at our seating in BLU (we weren't at all offended by their presence:)) but our experience might not hold true for future cruises.

RCCL/Celebrity accomplishes enormous tasks with remarkable execution - but I'm continually amazed by the little issues they struggle with.

Agree with you completely, they caused this confusion even before they formally changed Blu to smart casual for formal nights by the way they wrote their web site. They continue to cause confusion with the seating time in Blu when it is anytime seating. These are the two threads that keep popping up on this board and it is because, as you say, they can't get themselves together for the small things.

I agree that everyone should follow the stated rule as it currently exists and that since there seems to be so much confusion, the sooner Celebrity gets it corrected and all publications changed back to all venues being formal on formal nights, the less confusion there will be.

Its not going to be changed back to formal on formal nights. The web site is correct now, it was just changed...

Personally, I don't care if they change it back or not, but I do know that my e-docs state that Blu is NOT formal. I will be absolutely LIVID if I follow the rules as I am given them, and then treated as a "law-breaker" once I get on-board.

BTW, I would agree with Don when he mentioned that it is very doubtful that they will change back to formal nights in Blu. Why would they go to the trouble of printing this change on all their literature, only to reverse it? Especially when the obvious trend is toward more casual wear (considering the recent allowances of jeans in the MDR and dropping of formal nights in the Specialty Restaurants, etc...)?

Good grief lady - you are touchy. The singular "Bird du Jour" was Airline Chicken was it not? It was listed as a main entree, rather than it's usual position as a standby offering - was it not? Which part of that statement is completely false?

Nothing in what I wrote implies to the intelligent reader that Airline Chicken (I get such a kick out of just saying "Airline Chicken") was the all inclusive menu offering in BLU on Thanksgiving, any more than I implied that turkey was the only offering in the MDR.

First you accuse me of "utter BS", then follow that up with a reference to "people who post completely false information" and finally state that I "demanded "something that had feathers". Where does this quote come from? Read again what I wrote, perhaps ask someone explain it to you.

The actual exchange with the waitress (this thread is about smart casual in BLU right?) went something like this:

Waitress: "Have you decided what you'd like?"

Wife: "Well I'm surprised there's no turkey, I've been thinking Thanksgiving and turkey all day"

Waitress: "Oh no, we're sticking with our regular formal night menu".

Wife: "OK, I'll try the Airline Chicken".

You quote me as demanding something with feathers. Perhaps in your alternative universe it played out that way, but neither in reality nor in my post did that occur. Accusing others of posting "completely false information" and then assigning quotes to your own imaginings isn't considered appropriate civil discourse by most definitions. Be careful there, not everyone is as forgiving as I am.

To your credit, you openly confess your bias not only towards red meat cooked to order, over pre-cooked turkey (Do some people actually prefer turkey rare or medium? Just saying) but against posters with limited posting experience - 3 posts in my case. In my mind that's like counting who's wearing tuxedos, but who's counting anyway?

You did prompt some soul searching on my part, and I'll make a confession too. I confess to being a bit concerned about someone like yourself who has made 1517 posts. You've got to be kidding, right? Does incessant posting somehow equate to wisdom? Perhaps, although I see no evidence that supports that theory.

Having originally suggested you needed a vacation I stand corrected. You need a life. As for me - I just may cap my posting history at about 5.

Personally, I don't care if they change it back or not, but I do know that my e-docs state that Blu is NOT formal. I will be absolutely LIVID if I follow the rules as I am given them, and then treated as a "law-breaker" once I get on-board.

BTW, I would agree with Don when he mentioned that it is very doubtful that they will change back to formal nights in Blu. Why would they go to the trouble of printing this change on all their literature, only to reverse it? Especially when the obvious trend is toward more casual wear (considering the recent allowances of jeans in the MDR and dropping of formal nights in the Specialty Restaurants, etc...)?

Lawbreaker.Its not like they are going to pepper spray you and take you to the Brig

Admit it.You care and you care more than the average person. (its your right)

Trends change.

I can see you as a whinning 50 something when the trend changes back to ties.

Afterall jeans were out,in,out,in,out of fashion several times in my adult life.Likewise with ties.

The old saying"The more things change,the more they remain the same" will surely apply

:cj

I guess until I have been aboard, and find out for myself, these boards will not be the definitive answer in this case of formal or not in Blu...

I appreciate that the call center personnel could be misinformed, that is why I always get the name of the person I speak to 'for the record', as they say....I should have gotten the supervisor's name also, but didn't. What they said probably doesn't matter really, anyway.

I do not wish to get into a confrontation with a maitre'd, nor do I wish to 'borrow' a loaner jacket, so I am not taking chances, and will bring my suit with me.

I do not wish to get into a confrontation with a maitre'dquote]

As is your right - completely up to you how to handle that situation.

As for myself - if I purchase a cabin in Aqua expressly so that I may enjoy dining in Blu on 'formal' nights in my smart causal attire, and enjoy the freedom of packing light and avoiding the need to drag around loads of extra luggage?

And if I have a hardcopy of the dress requirements from the website, and a hardcopy of an email from customer service stating that smart casual attire is acceptable in blu on formal nights - and the maitre'd still tries to turn me away?

Then baby, there *is* going to be a confrontation. :D

I do not wish to get into a confrontation with a maitre'dquote]

As is your right - completely up to you how to handle that situation.

As for myself - if I purchase a cabin in Aqua expressly so that I may enjoy dining in Blu on 'formal' nights in my smart causal attire, and enjoy the freedom of packing light and avoiding the need to drag around loads of extra luggage?

And if I have a hardcopy of the dress requirements from the website, and a hardcopy of an email from customer service stating that smart casual attire is acceptable in blu on formal nights - and the maitre'd still tries to turn me away?

Then baby, there *is* going to be a confrontation. :D

Agree 100 percent!

I guess until I have been aboard, and find out for myself, these boards will not be the definitive answer in this case of formal or not in Blu...

I appreciate that the call center personnel could be misinformed, that is why I always get the name of the person I speak to 'for the record', as they say....I should have gotten the supervisor's name also, but didn't. What they said probably doesn't matter really, anyway.

I do not wish to get into a confrontation with a maitre'd, nor do I wish to 'borrow' a loaner jacket, so I am not taking chances, and will bring my suit with me.

Quite a sensible approach. I don't understand how everyone else is so keyed up they are ready to fight about this. For goodness sake, just take a jacket and go with the flow. It isn't worth giving yourself a heart attack and making things miserable for the staff and fellow passengers on board.

I see so many posts about "how could Celebrity expect us to know about this", when in fact they are participating in a thread that shows they know about it. It reminds me about a posting about the Eclipse Thanksgiving cruise with the large American Girl group. The poster gave a scathing review about how terrible it was having all those children on board and their biggest complaint was that Celebrity should have notified them about the group. Well the same person posted on Cruise Critic five months before the cruise about the American Girl group and how concerned they were. The fact is they were fully aware of it but decided to do nothing and then couldn't wait to complain that it was as bad as they'd made up their mind beforehand that it would be.

My point is that all of you know for a fact that there is a lack of communication between the group that edits the web site and some marketing information and the actual practice on the ship. You are fully aware you may be required to wear a jacket. So how come you're so ready to pick a fight claiming that you were unaware? Please be honest with yourself and the person on board you intend to hassle.

I don't understand how everyone else is so keyed up they are ready to fight about this. For goodness sake, just take a jacket and go with the flow. It isn't worth giving yourself a heart attack and making things miserable for the staff and fellow passengers on board.

You are entitled to your attitude.

However, if someone *spends their money* on an upgrade, which purchases among other things the convenience of being able to pack light and dress as they choose - and some puffed up functionary, in this case a maitre'd - arbitrarily decides to impose a different standard after-the-fact and deny those people the privilege *which they have purchased*, then that is a reason for outrage.

No, I won't "give myself a heart attack" as you hysterically put it - but I certainly will make things miserable for that maitre'd - and I will go as far up the chain of command as I have to to ensure that result and secure the privileges which I was promised and for which I have paid :D

In regard to your point about anticipating a confrontation; your point is a fair one for those cruise critic participants who are aware. I did bring more formal attire because i had been warned by this thread. However many customers were not aware in advance and the whole situation affected all customers in Blu to varying degrees from those of us who merely had to listen to often stressfull confrontations to some who were directly involved in the unfair enforcement and felt embarassed by the treatment accorded them for no fault of their own.

In regard to your point about anticipating a confrontation; your point is a fair one for those cruise critic participants who are aware. I did bring more formal attire because i had been warned by this thread. However many customers were not aware in advance and the whole situation affected all customers in Blu to varying degrees from those of us who merely had to listen to often stressfull confrontations to some who were directly involved in the unfair enforcement and felt embarassed by the treatment accorded them for no fault of their own.

Your post is reasonable, measured, and hits the key points.

I objected to the previous poster because it appeared that he was putting the onus for this conflict upon innocent passengers who relied upon published guidelines for the dress code. That, to me, seemed unfair and outrageous - the sole party responsible for the issue here is the maitre'd and perhaps the dining manager of Blu, who is/are either willfully ignorant, incompetently unaware, or simply chooses to flout and ignore published corporate policy for whatever motives.

It is simply shocking that innocent passengers can be publicly humiliated in this fashion. It is even more shocking that there are some people out there who would actually blame these wronged passengers for the conflicts that will inevitably arise when they verbally protest this mistreatment.

Your post is reasonable, measured, and hits the key points.

- the sole party responsible for the issue here is the maitre'd and perhaps the dining manager of Blu, who is/are either willfully ignorant, incompetently unaware, or simply chooses to flout and ignore published corporate policy for whatever motives.

Read post #89....

Read post #89....

Ah - interesting, thanks for pointing that out.

Perhaps the "senior executive" cited by the assistant Maitre'd was imaginary, i.e. an attempt to deflect righteous indignation by attributing that policy to a higher authority, or perhaps it was accurate.

In the latter case, looks like it will be necessary to go even higher up the chain of command than was previously realized :)

Ah - interesting, thanks for pointing that out.

Perhaps the "senior executive" cited by the assistant Maitre'd was imaginary, i.e. an attempt to deflect righteous indignation by attributing that policy to a higher authority, or perhaps it was accurate.

In the latter case, looks like it will be necessary to go even higher up the chain of command than was previously realized :)

again.... the assumption that everyone who cruises reads this board is erroneous - the published guidelines are as follows (directly from the website): Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code is Celebrity's Specialty Restaurant is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

I'll have a copy of this with me on the Summit in February, though suspect by that time it will be unnecessary

The dress code is Celebrity's Specialty Restaurant is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

I'll have a copy of this with me on the Summit in February, though suspect by that time it will be unnecessary

Let's hope so - contrary to what some of the other posters seem to believe, the ideal case here is that any kind of confict or unpleasantness would be avoided.

Still, won't hurt to have a hardcopy of their policy available just in case ;)

I should clarify post 89 in that we were told by the maitre d that a senior executive had informed him that the official policy of not requiring formal dress in Blu would likely be changed back and he viewed it as a mistake. However DW and I did not understand maitre d Marcel and asst. maitre d Slobidon to deny that they were acting on their own in enforcing dress code against company policy in effect at the moment.

I should clarify post 89 in that we were told by the maitre d that a senior executive had informed him that the official policy of not requiring formal dress in Blu would likely be changed back and he viewed it as a mistake. However DW and I did not understand maitre d Marcel and asst. maitre d Slobidon to deny that they were acting on their own in enforcing dress code against company policy in effect at the moment.

I'm glad you recorded the names of these individuals in any case.

I would hope that passengers who were inconvenienced, harassed, or humiliated by these individuals would escalate the issue and be sure to mention the offenders by name in their correspondence with Royal Caribbean corporate headquarters.

Archived