Has anyone ever booked using one of the services

CruisinManiac

Has anyone ever booked using one of those services that provides quotes? I just received an email about a new service thru a well know cruise message board, so decided to give it a try.

I am looking at a particular cruise and stateroom category. I received my first quote from an agency out west and I am surprised with the price... in a good way. :) Let me show you the comparisons below.

All rates include the tax and port, and no other additional fees are required by the TA's. Prices are for 2 passengers in an AQ on the Eclipse - same date.

Rate from a TA website that I normally get pricing from: $2,374.52 USD

Note: This is also the Celebrity website rate. One other TA site that I frequent doesn't even show an AQ for the sailing, which is odd because both Celebrity and the above site show numerous staterooms available.

Rate from the TA from quote service: $1920.00

That's a difference of $454.52 (or $227.26 pp) :eek:

My question is how can it be that one TA can discount so much?

Turning in for the night. I'll check back in the morning. ;)

One more quote came in this morning. Guess what...$2,374.52.

Hmmm, makes me even more intrigued on the lower price.

Any opinions? And yes, I know the old adage "if it's too good to be true, it isn't." However, is there a way that this TA can quote a lower price? Has anyone else this experience?

One more quote came in this morning. Guess what...$2,374.52.

Hmmm, makes me even more intrigued on the lower price.

Any opinions? And yes, I know the old adage "if it's too good to be true, it isn't." However, is there a way that this TA can quote a lower price? Has anyone else this experience?

I have seen this happen when an agency holds a block of cabins in a group rate. Sounds good, if you were planning to transfer to an agency anyway, but you must go through them for any changes.

I'm exploring that same question myself. although the prices I received from my local TA and the one that advertises here quote a bit were the same (14 night to Australia/NZ) the online TA offered me a $750 OBC and the local TA offered me a $150 OBC. I don't need my hand to be held so I am thinking about the one that advertises here. They said that they buy a block of rooms and get a group rate for the OBC.

I have seen this happen when an agency holds a block of cabins in a group rate. Sounds good, if you were planning to transfer to an agency anyway, but you must go through them for any changes.

No changes needed, we haven't booked it yet with anyone. ;)

Are the TAs with higher quotes offering you OBC, paid gratuities, or any other perks that are worth more than the $450 price difference?

No, nothing else offered.

Are you sure it includes taxes & port charges?

Yes, the first agent has that in writing. His "write up" seemed very professional.

I don't think I would go with the second company, even if the quote was lower. The following info is from them.

PaymentDeposit Due: 10/18/11

Deposit Amt: $750

Final Payment Due: 8/13/12

Actually, that is a quite a deal. I can cruise and not have to worry about paying the final until next August! :D

It is truly amazing at the vast difference in prices.

There are TAs that do get special prices for arranging group bookings.

Also, some TAs are happy to get a booking and kick back some of their commission. Often they give you perks like OBC, special services, included excursions, etc. When TAs "compete", you can save. It pays to shop.

Has anyone ever booked using one of those services that provides quotes? I just received an email about a new service thru a well know cruise message board, so decided to give it a try.

I am looking at a particular cruise and stateroom category. I received my first quote from an agency out west and I am surprised with the price... in a good way. :) Let me show you the comparisons below.

All rates include the tax and port, and no other additional fees are required by the TA's. Prices are for 2 passengers in an AQ on the Eclipse - same date.

Rate from a TA website that I normally get pricing from: $2,374.52 USD

Note: This is also the Celebrity website rate. One other TA site that I frequent doesn't even show an AQ for the sailing, which is odd because both Celebrity and the above site show numerous staterooms available.

Rate from the TA from quote service: $1920.00

That's a difference of $454.52 (or $227.26 pp) :eek:

My question is how can it be that one TA can discount so much?

Turning in for the night. I'll check back in the morning. ;)

It is possible that " cheaper" TA has first came out rates with group booking and now price is higher. That is why everyone offers higher price. I had similar situation for my April/12 sailing on Connie. X had it at $1899 p.p. and TA had it at $1749p.p - first advertised price when booking was opened. So I got it at $1749 plus OBC. Now price is $2200p.p.

You can ask them why their price is so much lower - see what they say.

You don't want them to book you under " not qualified" promotion and then being asked you to pay the difference at the pier.

I think I will ask, but something about this guy makes me feel uneasy. I cannot find anything out about him. His website link - which is the name of his business, goes to an unnamed travel website. His business address is a residential apartment building, although a very nice building. Says he is a member of BBB, but I cannot find the business listed.

Several more quotes have come in. All but one $2,299.00 are the same price as Celebrity. I have not checked it out to see if they offer anything else, though. They are all asking for my Celebrity passenger #.

I have not heard back from the low end TA. Thought I would have heard something by now. In the meantime, I have received a few more quotes, the latest offering a $250 OBC.

I like the idea of taking money off the front like the low end TA did, versus OBC. We have had a couple of problems receiving promised OBC in the past.

Another thing to check with the low priced TA is whether or not they charge for changes. For example, if there is a sale before final payment that you qualify for - senior, state, military - will there be a charge for obtaining the lower price for you?

We have an online TA who we have used for years - because she gives a reasonable OBC and does not charge for changes. For example, we changed cabins twice (couldn't make up our minds) and then there was a resident sale that saved us almost $600 for our cruise. Our TA happily took care of all of these changes, with no fee. That's why we repeatedly book with her. My suggestion is to find a TA that you're comfortable with who gives a reasonable OBC, and just stick with that TA.

This man seems to do it all with no extra charges, however, he has yet to return my email. :confused:

In the meantime, another has come forward with a $200 OBC and a $50 VISA card after the cruise. I don't understand these "after" incentives.

This has been interesting seeing what other TA's will do. We have not made a decision, and I feel bad for all the work these TA's have been doing (I've had 10 responses, with half having pretty good offers over what other TA's and Celebrity have been offering.) but we will probably wait until after Thanksgiving at this point. I have 11 coming into town for Thanksgiving. Much to do, and I don't want to make a haste decision and mess up this cruise.

Maniac,

He's probably on a cruise himself. If he has a high-rent condo, you can bet on it.

BTW, what's the secret? Put his info on here. The last scam artist I met personally succeeded because no one outed him.

Wally

Naming TA's is against the rules of Cruise Critic. Don't do it. They will jerk the posting.

No reason to name him, when I don't know yet. Let's give him a chance to respond. I forget that the email has to go through this service first. ;)

I guess he could be on a cruise and doing work at the same time, but his quote was only good for 24 hours (that's over) so I think he would have responded had he received the email. He did have a phone number to call, but I still wanted to remain anonymous.

I used one of these services last year for our Infinity cruise. We booked while on board the Summit and had 60 days to find an agent. The one we ended up going with had a group rate and saved us almost $400/person. No one else was close.

I was a little uneasy but was able to check them out, they were part of a larger time-share operation in FL that had marginal BBB ratings. I will say the agent was great and when there was a price reduction she was able to get us upgraded which made a real difference!

I also talked to at least one other from the "Service" and they seemed good as well. Since then for X cruises we've been using one of the cruise critic advertisers and for HAL cruises a friend of a friend (out of town brick and mortar) who always seems to get the best deal and can get us confirmed seating even when it's "Closed."

We have recommended that folks "shop around" for the best cruise prices (including amenities) for many years. There are some folks who are very resistant to the idea of shopping for a cruise because they are loyal to one particular TA or, for some reason, think that its best to book directly with the cruise line. But the fact that you are finding many different prices is the reality of the market. We have saved thousands of dollars by looking around for the best deal.

Hank

Yes, we have used the service and we have booked. There was one agency that was always the lowest. We called them twice, and both times they claimed 'mistake' and tried to upsell us. We do not even bother with them any more.

Having said that, we ended up with a great on line TA from the site. We still check her prices. So far, so good. You can expect to save anywhere from 8-12 percent on the base price of the cruise by doing this. Sometimes more-especially if they are doing a group booking. It soon adds up.

We prefer it to bricks and mortar because the on line agency has longer hours and if our agent is not there (especially when we need to take advantage of a price decrease or 24 hour special), there is always someone else to assist. Last time it was the VP who assisted up...did not know it until he sent the follow up confirming email 30 minutes later. Like most, there are good and not so good agencys.

Archived