First timer- Can you answer some questions- Monarch 3 day

Hey everyone! I would like to say thank you ahead of time because this site has been extremely helpful in our growing addiction to cruising!

I have taken 4 Carnival cruises, and will be taking my first RCI cruise in January. I have read about some differences between the lines, like no wine carry on, the rooms being smaller on the Monarch, etc.

Anyways, what I am really interested in-

-Is there an "elegant" night on a 3 day RCI?

-What kind of activities will they have...are they similar to Carnival's Fun Times?

-What is on the room service menu...or does anyone have a copy of it?

-Shows...someone mentioned booking shows ahead of time, but I am guessing that is only on the larger ships with the better acts? What should I know about shows?

-Comedy clubs...are there any, are they like Carnival's?

-Dress...am I going to feel out of place in my relaxed I'm on vacation wardrobe of tank tops and shorts?

I appreciate any advice, feedback, etc that you might be able to offer! If it helps answer any questions, I booked this for my husband and I for a quick getaway before we leave in February on a 5 day with the kids, in laws...etc. So we are looking for the relaxed, no rushing, no pleasing others kind of vacation!

thanks!

Hey everyone! I would like to say thank you ahead of time because this site has been extremely helpful in our growing addiction to cruising!

I have taken 4 Carnival cruises, and will be taking my first RCI cruise in January. I have read about some differences between the lines, like no wine carry on, the rooms being smaller on the Monarch, etc.

Anyways, what I am really interested in-

-What kind of activities will they have...are they similar to Carnival's Fun Times?

-Shows...someone mentioned booking shows ahead of time, but I am guessing that is only on the larger ships with the better acts? What should I know about shows?

-Dress...am I going to feel out of place in my relaxed I'm on vacation wardrobe of tank tops and shorts?

I appreciate any advice, feedback, etc that you might be able to offer! If it helps answer any questions, I booked this for my husband and I for a quick getaway before we leave in February on a 5 day with the kids, in laws...etc. So we are looking for the relaxed, no rushing, no pleasing others kind of vacation!

thanks!

There is a formal night although in my RCI experience, not as many get decked out for the shorter cruises.

I've found that RCI offers a lot more activities than Carnival.

Don't know room service specifics.

Shows are shows basically everywhere...never been a huge fan on any ship except for the piano bar

You won't feel out of place in tank top and shorts except in the MDR at night I don't believe they are permitted but otherwise the dress is the same as Carnival.

On Monarch, you don't need to "pre-reserve" shows....they revolve around the 2 traditional dinner seatings.

You will have 1 "formal" night, on night 2, of course!

Daytime is ultra casual....shorts and tanks and swimsuits are fine during the daytime. Dinner is long pants and collared shirt if you're doing the dining room...otherwise, the buffet is casual all the time.

We don't do much room service, as the cabins have no table to eat on...only a coffee table..not too much fun! They have about the same type of items as Carnival.

The last 2 times we sailed the Monarch it was listed as Smart Casual not Formal.

You can't book ahead of time but you might want to get to the venue early to ensure a good seat. Since Coco Cay was cancelled the shows on the unexpected sea day were pretty full but not unmanagable.

If I remember correctly the comedy show took place in the main showroom. There was an early "clean" show then a later "dirty" show on one or two of the nights.

This is a very casual ship.

The second night was formal on the Monarch, there was a wide range of dress in the MDR. For women, everything from fancy cocktail dresses to skirts/blouses, to nice blouses/nice pants. For men, some suits, some dress shirts/khakis. I wore a skirt/blouse from Orvis with sandals with a bit of a heel, and felt that that fit in just fine.

Let's see....bingo, classes at the gym/spa, a couple of crafting classes, pool games/contests, karaoke, dance lessons, that sort of thing.

It was pretty basic...a sandwich, a burger, a salad, chicken, some dessert offerings. I don't remember what was on the breakfast menu.

There was a welcome aboard show on the first night, a headliner show (juggler) on the second night, a farewell production show on the last night. No reservations are were taken for any of them.

No dedicated comedy clubs, but there was a comedian who did a short bit in the welcome aboard show, and he also did a full show on Saturday night, after the headliner show.

During the day, everyone was in casual wear, just like you've described. In the evenings, a mix of casual and dressy.

Thanks again! I can't wait to get back to be able to really compare :)

You are likely going to find a lot more similarities than differences. My only Carnival experience was on the Holiday which was even much older than the Fantasy class ships you have been on. Besides the ships, there was alot more similarities in the cruises than differences when comparing. I found that even though the Monarch is 20 years old, she is very well aged and pretty classy compared to my Carnival experience. Not that Carnival was bad by any means......I will always love the now departed Holiday as she stole my cruise virginity :p

I was on the 3 night Monarch cruise back in May of 2010 and there wasnt a formal night. It was smart casual, BUT I have heard they have went back to formal.

Enjoy the Monarch! She has a wonderful crew! And no one is certain how much longer she is going to be around.

Archived