What's the penalty for tagging a cruise ship?

It looks like the sprayon soap that kids can use in the bathtub. If it is it rinses off and leaves the surface cleaner than it was before it went on. As far as risking their necks- kids have been doing that forever- anyone cruised to Alaska and seen the cliff with names and schools painted all over it dating back many many years? Hardly a new thing for kids to be doing. I've seen painted names and dates on cliffs dating back a hundred years and more. In places that look a lot more dangerous to get to then hanging onto a balcony. I'm not condoning it, but let's get some perspective here. Unless it is real paint in which case walking the plank does seem like a fitting punishment.

You are excusing it. Real paint or not, which we don't know, it was wrong, and it was dangerous. Hopefully as reported the perps were taught a lesson and put off the ship.

Probably the same lady who asked if it was OK for her grandkids to write on the deck with sidewalk chalk.:rolleyes:

"I'm not condoning it, but let's get some perspective here." OK, the perspective is graffiti is graffiti no matter where it is, it's not art. Go paint names on your own house.

Probably the same lady who asked if it was OK for her grandkids to write on the deck with sidewalk chalk.:rolleyes:

"I'm not condoning it, but let's get some perspective here." OK, the perspective is graffiti is graffiti no matter where it is, it's not art. Go paint names on your own house.

High five!

I spent the first 30 years of my life trying to get out of a place where graffiti was a common neighborhood occurance: on walls, in hallways, on subways. It is really a degrading way of life. So it really tees me off when anybody defaces such a beautiful thing as an RCI ship in any way, whether permanent or not. It seems people that do things like this don't really appreciate what they have in life. Let people who would love to take a cruise but can't afford it trade places with them You will not see this same type of loutish behavior out of them I can guarantee it.

Can't see how anybody can defend such behavior in any way. I go on vacation to get away from crap like this.

There is no defense for this kind of behavior and any one who tries to justify it is part of the problem, not the solution.

Whatever. I just hope RCI never goes in NCL's "decorating" direction.

Same here ..... Peter Maxx? Thats the same guy who created that hideous crack-head design on the Continental B777 a few yrs back.

Thank god thats been painted back over again. I cant even imagine a ship painted up by that man ... how ugly that would be.

Than again, this is the same line that sails the EPIC (ugliest ship afloat).

I think it was tape and I saw a person applying it, but I cannot recall if it was as we were heading for St Maarten or upon our return.

Wait .... you actually saw some fool standing on a railing defacing the ship with whatever it was. Did you report them ?

We have come a long way down the slippery slope simply by renaming "Vandalism" to "Tagging" as if it is now somehow "OK" and really nothing more that artistic personal expression!

If I were the head guy at RCI, everyone in that cabin would pay for the cleanup and then be banned from all RCI ships for life!

Guest maddycat
Judging by the bright colors it's looks like finger paint or that foam stuff you spray on and peel off. Highly doubt it's spray paint or anything permanent.

Wrong. You can get flourescent colors in acrylic paint. When dry it is permanent.

I would love to have been able to hear the conversation where this group of Einstein's decided that this would be a good thing to do. Hopefully none of them decide to have children.

Too late, I think they already did. No license or IQ test required to produce kiddos.

What is funny is that you have no idea if it was the occupants of the cabin who did it or someone who saw an open door during cleaning and took advantage.

Do all of you who are in shock over this feel the same way about members of this very same cruise line and ship having tagged rocks or the walls at every single port of call visited? Been to "pristine" Alaska lately? Every line and most ships have at one time or another made their mark on the rocks or walls of the various ports of call.

I have seen it done by the mass market lines as well as the luxury lines.

It was a prank but not worthy of some of the punishment that some are calling for!

What is funny is that you have no idea if it was the occupants of the cabin who did it or someone who saw an open door during cleaning and took advantage.

Do all of you who are in shock over this feel the same way about members of this very same cruise line and ship having tagged rocks or the walls at every single port of call visited? Been to "pristine" Alaska lately? Every line and most ships have at one time or another made their mark on the rocks or walls of the various ports of call.

It was a prank but not worthy of some of the punishment that some are calling for!

What is funny is that you go after posters for assuming who actually was responsible for the act, then you go on to assume it was "members of this cruise line who defaced rocks or walls at every single port of call visited".

Something comes back to me that my mother used to say about the pot calling the kettle black.........................................................

I would agree that a lot of assumptions are being made, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to think a member of the crew would have done this.

As far as defacing property in port, IMHO, it's equally as disturbing. Vandalism is vandalism. I've lived around some level of graffiti all my life. Some "taggers" are very talented, but they need to find an appropriate outlet for that talent, not deface property of others, or mother nature. This particular incident is just plain orneriness. Not worthy of walking the plank, but definitely worthy of financial penalty.

I would agree that a lot of assumptions are being made, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to think a member of the crew would have done this.

Where did I say a member of the crew did the marking on the back of the ship? On the piers and the rocks you can see names of the crew who did it in many cases. While I am not condoning what was done, I just do not think it is a "crime" worthy of the punishment that others have been suggesting. Nor do I think it was all that risky.

I haven't read all the posts but I'm sure there is one stating "Just kids being kids".

No, this is total disrespect for private property. Obviously, they planned this in advance or how else would they have the paint or tape at hand? Wonder where else they "tagged" during their trip. Sure....someone saw an open cabin door and decided that since they just happened to have the paint/tape with them they would slip in, go out on the balcony and deface the ship.....:rolleyes:

"Tagged" is a PC term for "defaced". Hope they we thrown off the ship.

Skagway! I was there this summer. A crew member from the ship I was on (Princess) as well as the tour guide that picked us up at the dock told us that the crew members are the ones that do this to the rock wall. Apparently the higher you get your ship's logo the better your captain is!

While I do not condone graffiti, I do think the Alaska case is somewhat different as they have accepted it.

IMG_7486.jpg

IMG_7487.jpg

I'm not sure why people are shocked at the disregard for private property.

Happens all of the time. Think about it...people bump someone elses car with their own car or a shopping cart and just leave....people steal all of the time...destroy other peoples property...walk their dogs and let them make a deposit on someone elses lawn...etc..etc...

I think I recall reading that soon after her maiden voyage glass from artwork on the Oasis was stolen...I've been in ships elevators that were obvioulsy "keyed" with a sharp object...on and on.

We live in a society that sees this kind of vandalism every day.

We all know about chair hogs..smugglers...smokers who don't follow the guidelines..pax who party into the wee hours in the cabin areas and keep their fellow pax awake all night..etc. etc.

All of this is part of the "entitlement" generation.

It looks like the sprayon soap that kids can use in the bathtub. If it is it rinses off and leaves the surface cleaner than it was before it went on. As far as risking their necks- kids have been doing that forever- anyone cruised to Alaska and seen the cliff with names and schools painted all over it dating back many many years? Hardly a new thing for kids to be doing. I've seen painted names and dates on cliffs dating back a hundred years and more. In places that look a lot more dangerous to get to then hanging onto a balcony. I'm not condoning it, but let's get some perspective here. Unless it is real paint in which case walking the plank does seem like a fitting punishment.

Just because people did it a hundred years ago does not mean it's not incredibly stupid now or back then. Paint issue aside, a prank is not worth risking your life over.

I think the kids responsible should be made to clean up their mess and I think the parents of the offenders should be made to walk the plank for not teaching their kids to respect others property. Kids only know what they have been taught.

Just my opinion....:rolleyes:

Archived