Is drink pkg worth it if Elite? if AQ?

SugarLover

I've spent quite some time searching for the answer, but never found a good answer, so forgive me if this has been asked before...

I am newly Elite, so have not yet experienced the Elite lounge and its perks. I keep waffling as to whether to buy the Premium alcohol package (so as to get martinis and better wines), or just go a la carte.

- I can bring aboard 2 bottles,

- then AQ will give me a cheap bottle of bubbly upon arrival, and

- 2-4 bottles of spring water in the cabin daily, which i drink all up, and also take on shore with me

- Eating in Blu provides the fresh o.j.

- My past cruises in AQ, for my daily rm service breakfast I/we always ordered two mimosas (but they both were for me!) and I never once was charged :confused:.

- Being Elite now includes not one, but two cocktail parties with beverages

So now, I can go to the lounge in the a.m. for mimosas or bloodys and cappucinos, right? And in the pm happy hour, I can also have a glass of wine, sparkling, cosmos, martini etc? (But I do understand you can't walk out with them... they must be consumed there.)

I am not a 'lush' but when on vacay, I do enjoy champagne before dinner, wine with dinner, rum drinks by the pool, a cappucino or espresso sometime during the day, and a martini or nightcap before or after the show. Toss in an occasional vitamin water, smoothie, spa cafe carrot juice blend, and few ginger ales... but certainly not all of these every day.

Price value aside though... I have always been very tempted to do the pkg for the 'freedom' and 'choice' I get, as well as not having to be constantly waiting on and signing the tab.

For those of you who are Elite, and especially also AQ or CC, do you find you now pass on the pkg because you don't get the value out of it?

[* I should add that my traveling companion does not drink, so those 3 bottles in the cabin won't be shared, and he usually always grabs a glass of freebie champagne upon boarding, at the capt's welcome, etc, and then hands it to me (he's well-trained!). It's not that I am trying to max out on the free stuff, but if/when I drink those things, that cuts down on my appetite for something else like a martini down the hall upon exiting.]

This is actually a difficult question to answer.

We enjoy the packages although, as Elites, I doubt that it makes financial sense for us.

In your example, you make the most of everything such as taking wine on board and so on. We tend not to do this but even so, unless you are a seriously heavy drinker, with free happy hour and OJ etc you are unlikely to be better off with the package.

We still enjoy it though. The freedom it gives to have what you like when you like without even considering costs makes us feel like royalty and this has a value in itself beyond the basic costs of the drinks.

think the drinks available in the am and 5-7 hours are plenty. we buy a couple of bottles of wine for dinners and a few drinks, but overall it has save us money. luv the bloody mary mornings. be sure to tip these people and they treat you well.

I've spent quite some time searching for the answer, but never found a good answer, so forgive me if this has been asked before...

I am newly Elite, so have not yet experienced the Elite lounge and its perks. I keep waffling as to whether to buy the Premium alcohol package (so as to get martinis and better wines), or just go a la carte.

- 2-4 bottles of spring water in the cabin daily, which i drink all up, and also take on shore with me

- My past cruises in AQ, for my daily rm service breakfast I/we always ordered two mimosas (but they both were for me!) and I never once was charged :confused:.

So now, I can go to the lounge in the a.m. for mimosas or bloodys and cappucinos, right? And in the pm happy hour, I can also have a glass of wine, sparkling, cosmos, martini etc? (But I do understand you can't walk out with them... they must be consumed there.)

I am not a 'lush' but when on vacay, I do enjoy champagne before dinner, wine with dinner, rum drinks by the pool, a cappucino or espresso sometime during the day, and a martini or nightcap before or after the show. Toss in an occasional vitamin water, smoothie, spa cafe carrot juice blend, and few ginger ales... but certainly not all of these every day.

Price value aside though... I have always been very tempted to do the pkg for the 'freedom' and 'choice' I get, as well as not having to be constantly waiting on and signing the tab.

For those of you who are Elite, and especially also AQ or CC, do you find you now pass on the pkg because you don't get the value out of it?

[* I should add that my traveling companion does not drink, so those 3 bottles in the cabin won't be shared, and he usually always grabs a glass of freebie champagne upon boarding, at the capt's welcome, etc, and then hands it to me (he's well-trained!). It's not that I am trying to max out on the free stuff, but if/when I drink those things, that cuts down on my appetite for something else like a martini down the hall upon exiting.]

For me, YES it would be worth it to get the premium package. Free cocktail parties aside, you still have all the time at the pool, dinner, breakfast (coffee), shows. Think San Pelligrino water along with different wine pairings with dinner, predinner martinis, margaritas at the pool, energy drinks, etc. All that adds up. I don't drink that much, but I want the convenience and I won't worry if I get my money's worth or not. I am going to have a great time and enjoy it. We've had Aqua and CC both and enjoyed the packages tremendously. Flashing your room key, not signing, and no extra drink charges, PRICELESS.

The situation where a package may make sense in your case (i.e. considering the free cocktail parties, bringing wine on, free bottled water and fresh squeezed juices in Aqua Class etc.) would be if you prefer higher end cocktails and wine. The Elite happy hour has a decent selection, but certainly not the more expensive beers, liquors and wines. If you like the martinis at the martini bar and fancy concoctions at the Molecular Bar as well as craft beers and/or nice quality wines then a package could still potentially make sense for you.

Sugar,

Although i am a huge proponent of the liquor packages I would have to say no for you on your upcoming Silhouette cruise. Although I have enjoyed the premium package tremendously inthe past I feel on a 12 day cruise it might be a little overkill. Not many people can go at the pace necessary to justify the package price for 12 day......not saying its impossible just saying not many people can do it.

I have done it on an 8 day Carribean cruise and completely felt it was worth it....but on a ten day Alaskan cruise I was getting sick of drinking......... Maybe it was the fact that it rarely broke 50 degrees on that cruise....but I just didn't feel like drinking in the same manner that I did on shorter Carribean cruises.........

By the way we miss you on the 4/28/12 roll call.....we still doing some sort of wine tasting together? That was such a great idea!!!!

My aunt and uncle are going to be on your cruise on 11/30 and they are doing the 4/28.......I hope you all have a great time!!!!!!

We are Elite and had a Concierge Class cabin this past spring. Let's just say that certain beverages that we brought onboard came home with us because they were not consumed. We brought our own wine and took those to the dining room but between Michael's Club and various cocktail parties, we were not lacking. I would say save the money.

Sugar, you must be doing something right if your boyfriend passes all his booze to you; hence, I doubt you would need more. For example, on the first day you can ingest all of the provided bubbly, and at other times you can drink the wine which you bring on board.

And, of course you can enjoy alcoholic beverages at the elite events, both in the morning and evening.

My wife does not consume alcholic beverages; and, I am happy following the above criteria (except we do not bring wine onboard) without the necessity of puchasing a beverage package.

I gasped when I read your comment, "I'm not a lush." :-)

I'm considering a wine package for each of our upcoming cruises because we like wine with dinner.

I will definitely get a soda card so I can live on Coke Zero. It's a must for me.

I think the Elite party would satisfy my daily, one cocktail, requirement quite well.

Since I have OBC for both cruises, I'll buy my packages on the ship.

Sugar another option could be just waiting until you are on board to buy the drink package. This way you could attend a few elite events, etc. to get a feel for all of it and determine what else you will drink. After a day or two you would then be able to figure out if the package would make sense.

Not elite, but on Equinox right now in a suite, so we get all the Elite Perks. Between the 2 couples, both in suites, we have 3 premium alcohol and one classic na.

Even with Elite perks, we feel it's worth it. First, I dont like feeling like I have to go to Elite cocktail hour if I want a glass of wine, and be trapped there. We want to sit alone in a bar, or our cabins, as we want. Also love that they keep the glasses full (or even just leave a bottle at the dinner table).

The coffee drinks, real hot chocolate, and best of all, real iced tea are a real perk. I would never pay $5 for an iced tea, but if "free" I will have one or two in the afternoon after the port.

Grabbing a large bottle of water as we exit the ship at each port!

Post-dinner martini, or afternoon cocktails by the pool!

Does it all = a financial ROI, probably not, BUT on vacation I don't want to have to keep track of receipts, worry about that extra cocktail or feel I am looking at every nickel and dime each time I look at the drink menu. I just want to sit back and have someone bring me my drink!

But the best perk of the package? No receipts to sign or track! Just order and go!

Not elite, but on Equinox right now in a suite, so we get all the Elite Perks. Between the 2 couples, both in suites, we have 3 premium alcohol and one classic na.

If you are invited to particpate in all the elite perks because you are in a suite, then it's your hotel manager who made that decision for the cruise you are on.

Don't expect that on all ships because it's not celebrities general policy.

If you are invited to particpate in all the elite perks because you are in a suite, then it's your hotel manager who made that decision for the cruise you are on.

Don't expect that on all ships because it's not celebrities general policy.

I understand that, and we are in Penthouse and Royal, which based on past 7 days they treat different than I have read on CC about suites. I think Celebrities ranges of 'suites' is to extreme to compare experiences between a basic and the penthouse as both being 'suites', without significant differences and conflict.

I only reference that while I am not Elite, my experience to answer the question is the same level...I have same elite benefits of free drinks, so my experience is the same. No reference to someone's likeliness to get Elite benefits and didn't intend for this to become a suite benefit thread.

Thank you for the comments... I can understand and really appreciate both points of view... that's why I am having so much difficulty trying to decide!

As I first started to read the responses... I was saying to myself:

"ye-ye-ye-ye-ye-ye-YEAH! that's what I really want, to have that choice, the freedom, the better quality, the TOTAL enjoyment of my long-ago-booked and well-needed vacation!"

--- not lugging bottles on board, not having to rush off to the Elite Lounge, not signing the tab, because I WILL be ordering not just a cocktail before dinner, or a cappucino at breakfast -- but also a mojito by the pool and a martini after dinner.

Flashing your room key, not signing, and no extra drink charges, PRICELESS.
Kathy, I am SO WITH YOU THERE! I AGREE

However, then I kept reading, and the other side of my brain, the practical side... was telling me all those other things...that the Elite perks really were enough, and I could save the money...

BUT, Cheryl made a good point, regardless of being Elite or not, which may be the deciding factor:

Although I have enjoyed the premium package tremendously inthe past I feel on a 12 day cruise it might be a little overkill. Not many people can go at the pace necessary to justify the package price for 12 day......
so now I am vacillating AGAIN! :(

We brought our own wine and took those to the dining room but between Michael's Club and various cocktail parties, we were not lacking. I would say save the money.
jvdmd -- yes, that's what I figured....

We like to order wine by the bottle and our choices are not available by the glass, so even if we were not elite the beverage package would not make sense for us.
mary Lou, I would agree normally, but on this trip my companion doesn't drink, so I would be wasting the wine and money because I couldn't drink a whole bottle by myself (unlike my younger days!)

Even with Elite perks, we feel it's worth it. First, I dont like feeling like I have to go to Elite cocktail hour if I want a glass of wine, and be trapped there. We want to sit alone in a bar, or our cabins, as we want. Also love that they keep the glasses full (or even just leave a bottle at the dinner table).

BUT on vacation I don't want to have to keep track of receipts, worry about that extra cocktail or feel I am looking at every nickel and dime each time I look at the drink menu.

JohnB -- yes yes YES! that's the bottom line I think, why I even want to get the package in the first place, for those very reasons.

You all are great... but I think I am still in a quandry :(

Prime8keeper -- I think that's the middle ground... and what I think I must do... (but, hey, that's subject to change again! :D)

Sugar another option could be just waiting until you are on board to buy the drink package. This way you could attend a few elite events, etc. to get a feel for all of it and determine what else you will drink. After a day or two you would then be able to figure out if the package would make sense.
We are also doing a B2B in April, so what I may do then is get the package for week one, but not for week two, so I catch a breather...but with the unique ability of reinstating it half way through the second cruise only if I miss it. That would be a good test, and also save money, yet keep me happy regardless.

On another thread, I shared an experience we just had on the Millie: Because my BF had the NA pkg, but he always ordered a cocktail for me at the same time he got a coke or coffee -- I think all the bartenders and even our sommelier and waiter in the MDR assumed that I also had a package, but presumably the alcoholic one because that's what I drank... I didn't realize it until I closely looked at the bill at home... and every entry time for drinks, there were two drinks both zero'ed out. A nice windfall for sure, but I doubt that would happen again... especially on the brand new Silhouette, where the crew doesn't have their routines down yet, and there are (from what I have read) lots of new bartenders that don't know what they are doing.

Thanks again, everyone. Any more comments are still very much welcome. I will be sure to come back in two weeks and post about my experience, and what I ended up doing!

~ Sugar

• 3 months later...

Thanks again, everyone. Any more comments are still very much welcome. I will be sure to come back in two weeks and post about my experience, and what I ended up doing!

~ Sugar

Sugar, are you out there, anywhere, Sugar! ?? !!

I'm in the same quandry as you and would REALLY love to hear what decision you made. Please come back, Sugar, and post what you wound up doing!

BEAV-

As all the threads I post on, I subscribe to, so I got your message today!

Well, I ended up NOT getting the package, and i know I saved a LOT of money. The thing with that cruise, it was 12 days, so a package for that long really adds up, even if you sign up half way through.

Here's what I found (in no particular order of importance):

Yes, I LOVE the Molecular bar and the fun Martini/Ice Bar, and did go there several times ($12@) in the late evening, after a show for instance.

Having the Elite happy hour before dinner really makes a big difference in the bill. They provide not just wine, basic beer, and very basic cocktails, but as it turns out (at least on the Silhouette) they offer Cosmopolitans, Apple Martinis, and Kir Royales (sparkling wine with cassis)... so between them I was very happy. It's sooooo wonderful to walk into the lounge and have the bartender have your drink WAITING for you! (That's when I really felt like a celebrity! :D)

I also took 2 bottles of wine aboard, to enjoy in the cabin. Luckily too, we were sent not one, but TWO extra bottles of wine/champagne (on top of the cheapo X sparkling that is there upon arrival)... so that was 5 bottles total I had. When I did order a bottle one night at dinner in a specialty restaurant, the staff saved the rest for me, and asked the next night in Blu if I wanted it.

In the morning, i LOVED going to the Elite lounge in Michael's for Bellinis and cappuccinos too... it became my morning ritual, whether I did breakfast in Blu first, or just went straight. We tend to eat way too much on a cruise, so skipping a full breakfast every once in a while helped my intake! Again, it's so nice to walk in, and the waitstaff knows what you want and gets it before you even have to ask!

I should also add that we ALWAYS ordered breakfast delivered to the room, sometime full, sometimes just coffee and a muffin or fruit. I always put one or two Mimosas on the slip -- so there's another freebie, along with the AQ perk of bottled water, which we definitely went through two bottles each per day (4 total).

Then there are the occasional events where you are given a glass of bubbly (tour, theater, etc) don't forget, not that I felt I had to indulge every time...

During the sea days, yes, I'd indulge in a daiquiri, special mohito or two some afternoons by the pool. I told myself on a regular basis to 'just order whatever I want, when I want it" so I did. My BF also made sure to encourage me, as he knew that was one of my worries not having the pkg. I had wine every night with dinner too, by the glass usually, and I always order the bottled water (to cut down salt intake). We loved going to Cafe al Bacio for a nightcap-puccino too, but over all, my bill was a fraction of what it would have been had we NOT been Elite and I ordered the package.

What made me glad with my decision -- and tipped the whole experience waaaaay over the scale however, was our personal experience on this cruise, but this is not what everyone else experiences though: We became even friendlier with several of the crew that we had befriended on a previous cruise, and spent time with them. We very fortunately were invited to the Capt's table one evening, and to dinner with him in Tuscan Grill another evening. Twice we had dinner (at specialty restaurants) with other upper-level staff/officers, which were of course also complimentary, and a lunch in Bistro too. Many evenings we spent drinking at a bar with staff (off duty), or had spiked coffee at Bacio with the Capt or the Hotel Director too... Every single time even if we tried to pay our share of the bill, we were refused. So needless to say, that all added up to a LOT of free drinks (and food).

Bottom line, if you counted up my complimentary drinks for a typical day, not counting the gratis ones from our hosts, it would be:

2 bottled water ($?)

2 cappuccinos (@$4)

2-3 Bellinis (@$6 or 8)

a fresh o.j at breakfast, if I went (@$2.50)

2 cocktails before dinner (@$8)

at least one or two free drinks from a bar or Bacio -- from the bartender for being either a good customer, or a 'special guest'(@$5-12)

... which amounts to easily about $40-45 per day right there...

and, don't forget our 5 bottles of wine in the cabin, three gifts of which we took to dinner with us.

as for the "Priceless" convenience of not having to sign a chit, or even wave your card -- there were plenty of times we didn't anyway, like in the Elite lounge, or when we were guests of an officer. Having the staff know what you wanted was a given, even without the package.

If I had had the package, even just the classic not the premium, I would not have done it justice by any means. All in all, I had more than enough to drink (hic! :eek:) , and my bill was quite low. I can't put my hands on it right now, I have it filed somewhere, but if I can dig it up this weekend, I will, and post my bar tab for the 12 days.

(I should add, lest someone jumps on me, we didn't forget our servers/ bartenders etc... we are very generous tippers, being in the restaurant business, and 'took care' of people during the cruise, as well as at the end again, even when they would say "you already took care of me during the week" - we still would show our appreciation for the great service.)

Hope this helps! :)

Hi Sugar Lover,

You commented that your companion doesn't drink wine and you can't drink a whole bottle, but a 3 bottle package will last through all your dinners.

If I were the only one drinking, I'd buy a 3 bottle package and have one of red and one of white kept in the MDR and take one back to the cabin.

Just a thought.

Hi Sugar Lover,

You commented that your companion doesn't drink wine and you can't drink a whole bottle, but a 3 bottle package will last through all your dinners.

If I were the only one drinking, I'd buy a 3 bottle package and have one of red and one of white kept in the MDR and take one back to the cabin.

Just a thought.

Janet,

That's a good option for people who don't want to get the whole alcohol package (like BEAV maybe?). For many single wine drinkers, buying a 3- or 5-bottle wine pkg over the course of a longer cruise (ours was 12 nights) might make sense. And then just buy the cocktails a la carte.

In my case though, I usually order a different wine by the glass for each course because I don't like having the same wine for the whole dinner -- so there's another reason FOR some guests to perhaps consider buying the full alcohol package.

Plus, for me of course, I already had 5 bottles in my cabin! :eek: I was just trying to use up those three that I didn't have to pay corkage for basically, and I offered a glass or two to our neighboring table a couple nights as well.

It's all about your own personal preference and consumption level.

We're Elite, but even if we were not the alcohol package still wouldn't be worth it to us. I used to think we had really high bar bills before I discovered all those that thought $110/day for a couple's bar bill was a bargain.

Personally, the Elite bar doesn't enter in the equation for us as we seldom drink much there - we prefer holding off on starting our evening's imbibing until we get to the martini bar.

We also like to enjoy the wide and varied selection of wines available by the bottle from the ship's wine list. Because of that alone the unlimited packages, and even the wine packages, don't make sense for us.

We've tracked our non-alcoholic beverage consumption and found, even if we don't hold back at all, it is at most about a push with the cost of the non-alcoholic packages.

This isn't to say the packages are not great for some, but I definitely don't think they are right for everyone.

Sugar,

Wow - thanks for not only "coming back" to the thread, but posting such valuable information and going into great detail. I really appreciate it.

My better half and I have been pouring (no pun intended!) through the oh-so-many beverage package threads trying to make an intelligent decision for an upcoming 15 day voyage.

As Elites, and sailing in a Sky Suite, I think we'll stick to the a la carte system. Your comments, as well as many others (thank you, too, LSimon ;) ), were very helpful in making our decision. While I fully understand the comments of many who said they weren't so much concerned with "breaking even" but couldn't put a price tag on the freedom and convenience of buying a beverage package, we do tend to gravitate more toward premium liquors and wines, so I think a la carte is the way to go for us. Now having said that, we are sailing the Hawaii round trip on Century where you have several sea days going over, followed by consecutive ports in the middle, then all the sea days back to San Diego. If during the crossing from San Diego to Hawaii we don't find ourselves all that happy with the Elite happy hour, then we have the option of buying a beverage package for the remainder of the voyage. Talk about options! ;) It's all good.

Everyone has to evalutate their own drinking patterns in order to make an intelligent decision and we've gained valuable insight from everyone's comments.

Thanks again, Sugar, for coming back and updating this thread with your experiences. Sounds like you had a wonderful 12 day voyage. :)

Archived