Dengue fever bahamas

Bustersmom

Princess has issued a warning regarding dengue fever in bahamas, our first stop in Dec. Just wondering what everyone has used regarding deet products, lotion, spray, wipes. Not overly worried but if no issue to take something I will, appreciate the input as always! So many products out there!

I use the travel packets of insect repellent. Purchased at our local drug store. I usually have one or two packed away in my cosmetics case anyway but we are heading to the Bahamas on a cruise next week and since I received the alert as well for Princess Cay, I will be tucking in a few extra. ;)

We just returned from our cruise (Princess Cays, Curacao, & Aruba) on Sunday. Our first stop was at Princess Cays and we went armed with a Deet based personal pen-sized spray in addition to Deet wipes and even bought a ThermaCell unit to cover the area around the Bungalow we had rented. Needless to say, for all the "insurance" we had in purchasing all these products, we never used any of them. WE SAW NO FLYING INSECTS (mosquitoes, flies, etc.) of any kind on Princess Cay or either of the two Dutch Islands in the Southern Caribbean. I have many allergies and feared skin breakouts if I used too many topical ointments (bug repellents, sun screen, etc.), so I only brought things along on a "need to use" basis.

Warning...if you have one of those "perimeter" repellent units...you aren't able to take the butane cartridges on the planes to your departure port. We had to mail the cartridges to ourselves at our pre-cruise hotel. Since we never used the "unit", we ended up giving the cartridges to an employee at the hotel in Ft. Lauderdale when we returned. We didn't want to incurr another $24.00 to mail them "overnight" back to our home, especially when the cartridges only cost about $6.00.

Still, I don't regret having them...you know...better safe than sorry!

Have a great trip and just plan on being prepared...you don't want Dengue Fever to spoil your cruise and vacation.

Debjo

Just be careful with the wipes - they can rub off your sunscreen if you aren't careful. I prefer the spray product lightly over areas that aren't covered by clothing.

My thoughts too. The wipes can remove your sunscreen and it wouldn't be fun to come back to the ship with a nasty sunburn. I use the spray deet products. However, last time I was on Princess Cays I didn't notice any mosquitos. Perhaps they are more prevalent in the early morning, early evening and around "still" water?

Princess has issued a dengue fever warning for people traveling to the Bahamas. What do you think about it. Someone said it's the end of the season for that. And why only princess, have not seen any other cruise lines issuing warnings, and cruise critic does not have it in the news.

Warning...if you have one of those "perimeter" repellent units...you aren't able to take the butane cartridges on the planes to your departure port. We had to mail the cartridges to ourselves at our pre-cruise hotel.

Actually, you are not permitted to mail these either.

We were on Princess Cays on November 13th I believe. it was so breezy by the beach, that it kept the mosquitoes away. I brought DEET with me, forgot to put it on of course, and didn't get one bite or hear one mosquito.

One of the guys in our group asked someone on the island who said you only needed to worry about them if you were on an excursion that went inland where there wasn't as much of a breeze and you had standing water.

Just bring a spray and I'm sure you'll be fine. As someone above mentioned - DO NOT spray DEET under clothing - only on exposed skin. You want it to be able to evaporate some.

Im just curious that other cruise lines have not issued warnings and therefore thought that cruise critic would address it, seeming that almost ever line goes ton the Bahamas.
I can only guess at this but I think it's two things: one is that Princess is being super cautious; two is that it depends on where dengue fever has been found. It might also depend on the wind currents and areas of standing water. There are a lot of islands in the Bahamas and wind currents can vary.

I was at Princess Cays in November. I brought the insect repellent but decided not to go ashore. Turned out to be the best decision for me since the water was very choppy for the tenders and they were bouncing all over the place. It was the wind remnants from a storm a distance away. I enjoyed the pool that day.

Sali

My boss was on the Ruby Princess a few weeks ago and received an email from Princess saying to bring bug repellant containing DEET for Princess Cays. I suggested buying Off Smooth & Dry - that's what we always use in the summer if we'll be outside when there are mosquitos around. They did buy some but didn't end up using it. Apparently the island was doing some major fogging/spraying for 'skeeters and she said they never even heard the slightest buzz of a mosquito. Still, doesn't hurt to bring something along - at the very least, you'll probably pay less for it at home than you will in a tourist area.

For caribill...

You are completely correct about not being able to "mail" the butane cartridges...my mistake...we were told by the Post Office that we should Fed-Ex or U.P.S. the package. My reference to "mail" should have been "ship" instead...sorry for any confusion.

Debjo

Archived