Bringing wine onboard

jerseygirl3

If you want to play by the rules, then the two staterooms with minors are not allowed to have any wine allowance whatsoever.

I guess it's end of conversation. :eek: You have a great cruise.

Oh, we will, in either event. Ten bottles in the staterooms, shared by the six of us over a week would be nice, but six will be fine as well. I am just trying to nail down the real limits.

And Gordie, I have NO IDEA why you felt compelled to interject yourself into this conversation with your chiding unpleasant comment.

At NO time did I or anyone else suggest breaking the rules. And your assumption that we are not aware of the rules is foolish, since clearly the conversation was concerning what is WITHIN the rules.

Pay closer attention next time you climb on that high horse. Or better yet ride it somewhere else.

Ok, I am exercising my ability to edit my post because I see you were ostensibly responding to a post made last November. But still why assume the worst of people? And why feel entitled to lecture others for asking for information?

It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

This is a very long thread -- you only entered it recently yourself -- go back through it and see how many people discussed ways of breaking the rules -- see post 5, 9, 28 etc. --

Past the discussion on bringing extra bottles? See post #91.

Oh my, Sara, one wonders what the INITIAL post was.

If you so desire to change the subject, perhaps it would behoove YOU to start a NEW thread, or please just STICK to the original post.

Again people please, if you feel the need to vent your anger, feel free to share such over on the Carnival threads; as anyone contemplating even the thought of smuggling onto a Celebrity ship should be "shown the plank" - IMHO. This is NOT Carnival Cruise Lines!

And btw, who passed away and made you the patrol officer of this thread? I replied to the OP, and why are you so inclined to basically "stick you nose" into someone else's business anyway? Perhaps it's best for you to get yet another "Brazilian Wax" and return with a better attitude, if possible.

No... I don't think so. It's not per person, it's per cabin. The 2 bottle limit is per cabin, no matter if there are 1 or 4 passengers, as I understand it.

It seems as if at this time there is a shift in enforcement occurring and where there may have been some slack in the rule enforcement in the past, many cruisers are reporting back that the enforcement is tightening up.

I bet many who have stretched the rules in the past will be surprised the next time they board!

Carry on does avoid the issue of being called down for baggage inspection and is good advice. It would be, over all, more convenient to pack the bottles in luggage, but I think at this juncture that may be a short view.

I was sorta hoping you would have an answer to the "children booked into cabins and how the allotment might be distributed" issue. Any idea?

I am starting to think it might be something I need to call X about but I am kind of leary of doing that because it seems as if this is the sort of issue where you might get three different answers from three different people!

Oh, we will, in either event. Ten bottles in the staterooms, shared by the six of us over a week would be nice, but six will be fine as well. I am just trying to nail down the real limits.

And Sara, perhaps you may want to actually CALL Celebrity and/or READ their policies on line, instead of concluding your interpretations as truth and possibly misleading so many here as you attempt to indeed commandeer this thread to your own questions and posts.

Just a thought.

;)

Has anyone had the experience of having a number of cabins in a party occupied by minors and the parents using the boarding bottle allowance for their kids room?

We will have five cabins, with two occupied by under 21s. It would be nice to be able to use the alowance for all the cabins!

That is pretty interesting info about how the bookings might have been handled. The reservations on celebrity show the kids in their own cabins... I wonder if the inlaws didn't know and didn't note that they were minors and so X booked them as adults...

This is how it came thru when he emailed it to us;

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Mr. John xxxx Dec/1/1938

Mrs. Mary xxxx Apr/29/1939

50th anniversary

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Mr. Garrett xxxx 10/27/62

Mrs. Sara xxxx 6/15/62

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Ms. Katherine xxxx 5/12/93

Ms. Elizabeth Turner 2/12/95

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Mr. Eric xxxx 7/17/64

Mrs. Ann Marie xxxx 11/19/66

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Mr. Matthew xxxx 7/10/97

Mr. Michael xxxx 8/5/99

Hhmmmm... No that looks like birthdates so X knows their ages...

It's a puzzle!

I guess I don't get it.

All this for a few extra bottles of wine??

Yikes...

Perhaps this DOES need a thread of its own.

Has anyone had the experience of having a number of cabins in a party occupied by minors and the parents using the boarding bottle allowance for their kids room?

We will have five cabins, with two occupied by under 21s. It would be nice to be able to use the alowance for all the cabins!

The bottom line is that the Celebrity policy does not address this. Because of this you will have differing interpretations of the polciy both on these boards and with anyone you talk to at Celebrity, be it on the ship or in the home office.

On the one hand, in matters where the policy doesn't speak to the issue the safest route is to take the most conservative view if you don't want to risk having your wine confiscated. In this case that would also be the view that common sense speaks to as it wouldn't make sense to allow alcoholic beverages for a cabin with no adults.

On the other hand, I've never seen any attempt to enforce the 2 bottle limit per cabin, only to make sure no one is carrying more than 2 bottles. So if the adults are each carrying 2 bottles on so that in total you are bringing on 2 bottles per cabin for the group I think it is highly unlikely you'll have an issue. But if by some chance they do start a procedure to enforce the 2 bottle per cabin rule you likely will run into an issue trying to explain why you think it is Ok for two adults registered in the same cabin to be bringing on more than 2 bottles in the aggregate and also would have an issue if a minor was carrying on wine.

Sara –

If names and birth date are correct and not made up - you may want to consider contacting the board monitor to remove the reference to one of the children noted with a full name and birth date noted on several posts.

M

Thank you for noting that! Doh...

The bottom line is that the Celebrity policy does not address this.

That does about sum up the issue Larry ; -)

Since no one seems to have any previous experience with this the easiest is to just let it go. I figured I fly it by and see if I got lucky, but since no, just not a big deal.

I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to someone trying to justify their kid carrying the Châteauneuf...

Thank you for noting that! Doh...

That does about sum up the issue Larry ; -)

Since no one seems to have any previous experience with this the easiest is to just let it go. I figured I fly it by and see if I got lucky, but since no, just not a big deal.

I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to someone trying to justify their kid carrying the Châteauneuf...

TO SARAFINADH,

As ALWAYS LSIMON (Larry) does bring common sense... and a good explanation to any issue.

BTW, anyone who knows me would know that my comment with the big grin :D was truly tongue-in-cheek as I would be too big a chicken to ever try to push the limits (Bottles per Stateroom vs Bottles per Adult). BUT as stated, one could certainly make a case for either, and therefore be willing to take the risk... fully knowing the consequences (confiscation).

Just wouldn't be me.

Unlike some folks, I totally got WHY you were asking the Question to begin with... just looking for what is the RULE (not wanting to necessarily break one)

Lol, as for the fly-on-the-wall statement, I'd wager a guess that it has been tried.

There are a lot of folks very intent on smuggling booze on board based on the many topics we see on the subject ("How Do I"... "What is the best way"... "Where won't Celebrity Look" etc) and wouldn't surprise me that some of them would even be as low handed as to implicate their kids in their efforts. :rolleyes:

As a fun aside, I will be more than willing to share any tales I hear or things I see when I board on Sunday... as they say there is ONE Born every minute, so with over 2800 folks aboard, I'm bound to run into a couple eh. ;)

Enjoy your trip planning... Alaska is certainly one destination on MY TO VISIT LIST

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm jumping in the discussion as I was looking for any updates on Celebrity booze policies lately. Were on Eclipse a year ago and things seem to be about the same now. As an 8 time Celebrity cruiser, I have found them to be the most flexible on bringing wine on board.

Anecdotally:

In San Juan we took 2 bottles of Champagne on-board each, one of which was purchased in the dock store ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE TSA SECURITY-THING! I brought one bottle in carry-on and when I saw the set up after going through security, I bought the other (total of 4)...go figure:p

After purchasing a bottle of rum at a port stop (it was in a paper carry-bag) I put it in my pack. After going through the scanner, the security guard flagged it and asked me to step to the adjacent table to check it. The line was long (5-6 deep) and I was tired, so I said "of course" and sauntered up the stairs. This has happend more than once, so if intercepted, I'll just check it. They WILL give it back. Sort of fun to try. Havent been ferreted out yet.:rolleyes:

And someone check me on this. If you order a glass of wine (off the wine menu) in the MDR, isnt that order taken by the bar-guy/gal? And if you order a bottle, it's usually the sommelier or wait-staff, right? My recollection of others ordering a glass first had to find a bar-guy/gal, place the order and off they went, maybe bringing the glass after the first course is finished or I'm already tasting my bottle. It seems to me the best buy is to order a bottle and let them cork it for the next night. Even in you're going to a specialty restaurant the next night, ask ahead and it will be there waiting for you.

Pint plastic hip flasks are durable and hold just enough scotch or burbon for sipping in the cabin. They're small and look like lotion or some other personal product through x-ray or whatever they're using these days to determine naughty-room candidates. Oh, they also hold vodka or gin:D

Archived