Bringing wine onboard

jerseygirl3

We are sailing on Summit 4/14. We sailed out of San Juan 6 years ago on Carnival out of San Juan. We bought liquor (scotch, Baileys and wine) in the liquor store in the terminal. We put it in our carry ons like they said and all went through. Has this process changed?

We also had two bottles of wine in our checked luggage.

I have not been able to find any detail on Celebrity wine packages. Do they have something similar to RCCL - different tiers and number of bottles? I have info on beverage packages but we drink wine only.

I have not been able to find any detail on Celebrity wine packages. Do they have something similar to RCCL - different tiers and number of bottles? I have info on beverage packages but we drink wine only.

When you go on line and do your check in process (of if you have an internet account with Celebrity) you will see the tab that is beverage packages. click on that tab and it will have a lot of options. The second option is Taste of the Vineyards wine package. Click on more details.

The Captain's Package

The Sommelier's Package

Build Your Own Wine Package

These are your choices. There is an additional Charge that they will bill your account that is not listed. I think its for the Wine staff. I remember that I tipped the Sommelier each time and then at the end of the cruise they had already added a tip...to my wine package.

I bought the Sommeliers package while on board. They sell these the day of departure or anytime aboard the ship, so you dont have to book the wine in advance.

I also brought on board 2 bottles of wine and 2 large bottles of tonic water. I had no issues. When I was at one of the ports I purchased a bottle of Patron' and when I boarded the ship I put it thru the scanner. No one took it away from me so I had it in my cabin for the rest of the cruise.

We are sailing on Summit 4/14. We sailed out of San Juan 6 years ago on Carnival out of San Juan. We bought liquor (scotch, Baileys and wine) in the liquor store in the terminal. We put it in our carry ons like they said and all went through. Has this process changed?

We also had two bottles of wine in our checked luggage.

And as for Carnival, here is their current directive:

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation Day:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the steakhouse. (A corkage fee is a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of liquor served that was not bought on the premises)

On embarkation day, each guest may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages on board and only in their carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 bottles and/or cans, 20 ounces each or less.

All alcohol/hard liquor/beer (sealed, unopened bottles/cans), wine/champagne over the allowable 1-bottle per guest (sealed, unopened bottles) or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages (over 12 per person, sealed, unopened bottles/cans) will be confiscated and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be available for collection onboard in a designated location on the morning of debarkation. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case.

Den

They must have the options on the purchase down on the web site.

Here are the prices for the Millennium.

The Sommelier's Package

3 bottles $113.85

5 bottles $189.75

7 bottles $263.35

The Captain's Package

3 bottles $148.35

5 bottles $247.25

7 bottles $343.85

Create your own must be done on board and will be priced according to the wines you choose.

The prices I have posted are current 1-7-2012 and for the Milli only. I think there maybe other prices for other ships.

You canalso call 1-800-722-5941 to book wines, tours and dinner reservations

Just out of interest what would the cost of an average bottle of Chardonnay on a Celebrity ship? On a recent Cruise with HAL a reasonably good Chilean cost around $23.

By my calculations the cost per bottle in the cheapest Sommeliers' package works out at just under $38 a bottle so am assuming these must be fairly good wines.

Just out of interest what would the cost of an average bottle of Chardonnay on a Celebrity ship? On a recent Cruise with HAL a reasonably good Chilean cost around $23.

By my calculations the cost per bottle in the cheapest Sommeliers' package works out at just under $38 a bottle so am assuming these must be fairly good wines.

FOR THOSE CONSIDERING A WINE PACKAGE,

Do your homework... there is lots of info here on various past topics in regards to the pricing of alcohol (and wine) on Celebrity's Ships (including copies of Wine Lists from the ships and various venues on them)

Mr Sloop and I are both BIG wine lovers... it is a true hobby for us. Consequently, we've done a LOT of research prior to our cruise on what Celebrity has to offer.

Generally speaking wine prices on Celebrity are fair (at least by Canadian standards where we pay a lot more for alcohol than our US neighbours)... BUT if one is from the US, I can guarantee you... YOU WILL FIND THE PRICES of Beer, Wine and Alcohol HIGH on Celebrity Ships.

So judging a wine strictly based on pricing is not a good idea (such as TEIGENES is assuming above). Mark up is probably going to be 1-1/2 to 3 times the base price depending on the product.

After much reserach, we have decided to

(a) Bring 2 Bottles of decent wine aboard for enjoyment in our cabin (in our case it will be real champagne and not sparkling wine... we figure this to be the best bang for our buck, as champagne is very expensive on the ship). These 2 Bottles will be for strictly sipping in the cabin before dinner, or perhaps enjoying as a nightcap on the balcony.

(b) As we are Concierge Class we will be using the Sparkling Wine in our cabin to make Mimosas = OR = see if we can't trade it in for something else (past topics here on CC say some Cruisers have been successful doing this)

© We will be buying a Premium Alchol Package ($ 54 US per person per day PLUS 15% Gratuity).

After using the STICKY here at the top of the CELEBRITY BOARD and adding up all the various items that incur a charge... Premium Coffees - Fresh Squeezed Juices - Bottled Water - Smoothies - Cocktails - Martinis - Wine - After Dinner Drinks and figuring out what we might order in a day we have discovered that our break even point with the Premium Package will happen at aprox 3 alcoholic drinks per day (IMO, not that difficult to do on vacation)

Break even with the Classic Alcohol Package is similar ($ 44 US per person per day PLUS 15% Gratuity)... and covers items up to $ 8 per glass.

The other advantage to having the Premium Package is we get to drink some pretty decent wines by the Glass (up to $ 12)... and we can mix and match to our preferences... so perhaps a light crisp White like Sauvignon Blanc with the Salad / Appy Course, and a nice full bodied Red with the Main Course.

Celebrity does seem to have a very extensive wine list available by the glass.

(d) And because this is a vacation, and we tend to be pretty flexible types... we have considered the possibility, that despite all our planning & research, that we may just see a wine by the bottle that we have to taste... (afterall Celebrity is known to have one of the best Cruise Ship Wine Cellars at sea)... in which case we have agreed to splurge if need be on that one evening (guessing this will probably happen at Murano's)

Hope this is helpful,

I know Celebrity allows two bottles per cabin. Just wondered how they would know if you brought two in your carry-on and packed two in your checked luggage? Of course, this is strictly a hypthetical question....

I just got the Silhuette and when my wife did not get her lugggae we were directed to dec 2 where they were xraying luggage. I have heard where several passenger were called down to open and have their luggage checked.

I don't know if they xray all luggage or random but..........

Appreciate your input Sloop. We are going on a 14 day cruise so the premium pkg wld be a fair chunk a change. I figure even if we buy 2bottles of wine per day we wld be ahead of the pkg -- not to mention we wld avoid the temptation to have special coffees and liqueurs every day vs once in awhile. But we are still thinking about it all. I'd love to see a complete wine list with prices to help us decide. And the water is a huge benefit also in the pkg. decisions decisions!!

Appreciate your input Sloop. We are going on a 14 day cruise so the premium pkg wld be a fair chunk a change. I figure even if we buy 2bottles of wine per day we wld be ahead of the pkg -- not to mention we wld avoid the temptation to have special coffees and liqueurs every day vs once in awhile. But we are still thinking about it all. I'd love to see a complete wine list with prices to help us decide. And the water is a huge benefit also in the pkg. decisions decisions!!

TO JOSIE2,

You haven't said WHEN and on WHICH Ship you are sailing...

If you can wait a bit* ...

I will be on The Solstice (an S-Class Ship) before the end of the month... I plan to do further research on this topic for others (with the overall aim to try and update the 2010 Price List as much as I can that appears in the STICKY on this CC CELEBRITY CRUISES BOARD with 2012 Prices, Selections and Info)

*NOTE - Most of the Beverage Packages (including some wine ones) can be either bought in advance or even onboard without any significant differences in regards to pricing etc.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Appreciate the research. We aren't going till November 14 day on the Eclipse. I am just obsessing in advance!!

We drink only wine except maybe a beer with lunch by the pool and wld have a cognac or grand marnier a few times a week. It is not uncommon we wld have a bottle of wite on our balcony and a bottle of red at dinner. So two bottles a day standard.

FOR THOSE CONSIDERING A WINE PACKAGE,

Do your homework... there is lots of info here on various past topics in regards to the pricing of alcohol (and wine) on Celebrity's Ships (including copies of Wine Lists from the ships and various venues on them)

Mr Sloop and I are both BIG wine lovers... it is a true hobby for us. Consequently, we've done a LOT of research prior to our cruise on what Celebrity has to offer.

Generally speaking wine prices on Celebrity are fair (at least by Canadian standards where we pay a lot more for alcohol than our US neighbours)... BUT if one is from the US, I can guarantee you... YOU WILL FIND THE PRICES of Beer, Wine and Alcohol HIGH on Celebrity Ships.

So judging a wine strictly based on pricing is not a good idea (such as TEIGENES is assuming above). Mark up is probably going to be 1-1/2 to 3 times the base price depending on the product.

After much reserach, we have decided to

(a) Bring 2 Bottles of decent wine aboard for enjoyment in our cabin (in our case it will be real champagne and not sparkling wine... we figure this to be the best bang for our buck, as champagne is very expensive on the ship). These 2 Bottles will be for strictly sipping in the cabin before dinner, or perhaps enjoying as a nightcap on the balcony.

(b) As we are Concierge Class we will be using the Sparkling Wine in our cabin to make Mimosas = OR = see if we can't trade it in for something else (past topics here on CC say some Cruisers have been successful doing this)

© We will be buying a Premium Alchol Package ($ 54 US per person per day PLUS 15% Gratuity).

After using the STICKY here at the top of the CELEBRITY BOARD and adding up all the various items that incur a charge... Premium Coffees - Fresh Squeezed Juices - Bottled Water - Smoothies - Cocktails - Martinis - Wine - After Dinner Drinks and figuring out what we might order in a day we have discovered that our break even point with the Premium Package will happen at aprox 3 alcoholic drinks per day (IMO, not that difficult to do on vacation)

Break even with the Classic Alcohol Package is similar ($ 44 US per person per day PLUS 15% Gratuity)... and covers items up to $ 8 per glass.

The other advantage to having the Premium Package is we get to drink some pretty decent wines by the Glass (up to $ 12)... and we can mix and match to our preferences... so perhaps a light crisp White like Sauvignon Blanc with the Salad / Appy Course, and a nice full bodied Red with the Main Course.

Celebrity does seem to have a very extensive wine list available by the glass.

(d) And because this is a vacation, and we tend to be pretty flexible types... we have considered the possibility, that despite all our planning & research, that we may just see a wine by the bottle that we have to taste... (afterall Celebrity is known to have one of the best Cruise Ship Wine Cellars at sea)... in which case we have agreed to splurge if need be on that one evening (guessing this will probably happen at Murano's)

Hope this is helpful,

This is exactly how I evaluate it and would recommend that everyone go through the same process.

Over in the right corner of our posts, are these boxes:

quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif

The 'Quote' one adds that post to your post, the second one is called the 'Multi-Quote This Messsage', and you select this and the same box in any other post (they then are highlighted), and when you open a Post a Reply, you get the two quotes with a little room in between for you to reply to one, then the other.

Den

Sometimes I see those quote plus buttons and sometimes I don't. It's strange really and I haven't figured out yet, why. Might be browser related or computer related...??

Sometimes I see those quote plus buttons and sometimes I don't. It's strange really and I haven't figured out yet, why. Might be browser related or computer related...??

TO CHERYL 20772,

It took me awhile too to figure out how it works... so lets see if I can go thru it for you step by step (at least what worked for me)

Want to just post a reply, with no quote... Click on the QUICK REPLY icon (the 3rd one... pen & paper)

Want to post a reply and show one Quote... Click on the QUOTE icon / button within the framework of the quote you wish to use (the 1st icon)

Want to reply with multiple Quotes... Click on the Icon for QUOTE PLUS within the framework of the quote you wish to use (you can actually do this a multitude of times to create a series of various quotes)... and for the last Quote you want to reference, click on the QUOTE Button to add it.

In all cases, when you have amassed your Quotes, you'll be directed to the MESSAGE BOX... and if you've requested Quotes, they'll be stacked in the order that you clicked them.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Does anyone know if you are you allowed to being two 1.5l bottles of wine per cabin? Or just 750 ml bottles?

Celebrity's published policy is ambiguous on that subject. It just refers to "two bottles," not mentioning the size.

You can read the policy here:

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/faq/Cel_Alcohol_Policy_07-30-07.pdf

Celebrity's published policy is ambiguous on that subject. It just refers to "two bottles," not mentioning the size.

You can read the policy here:

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/faq/Cel_Alcohol_Policy_07-30-07.pdf

This is true. I've read a lot of posts on this subject. While I don't have direct experiance, based on the posts I've read, I'd say that while your chances of getting two large bottles or boxes of wine on board are good they are not certain. Most have reported no issues but a few have reported having large bottles or boxes confiscated. The bottom line is that while the odds appear in your favor you should be prepared for the bottles to be denied and confiscated. If you want to avoid any such hassle I'd recommend sticking to bottles no larger than a standard 750ml size.

I wasn't just assuming on price alone for a good wine. But was interested in what one could expect to pay for a nice wine but not the top of the line if one didn't buy a wine package. Coming from the Marlborough Area of New Zealand which is regarded as one of the worlds best producers of Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay I do know a good wine. Unfortunately very few NZ wines are offered on cruise ships. Only one on our recent HAL cruise and that was very much over priced even though I understand there has to a reasonable markup.

I wasn't just assuming on price alone for a good wine. But was interested in what one could expect to pay for a nice wine but not the top of the line if one didn't buy a wine package. Coming from the Marlborough Area of New Zealand which is regarded as one of the worlds best producers of Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay I do know a good wine. Unfortunately very few NZ wines are offered on cruise ships. Only one on our recent HAL cruise and that was very much over priced even though I understand there has to a reasonable markup.

Here are some links to copies of some wine lists I made and put online last winter:

They have very few New Zealand wines - only one Sauvignon Blanc - a Brancott Reserve which is OK but not our favorite. My wife is a big fan of Sauvignon Blanc as she can not drink red wine, but not so much of a Chardonnay fan. Her favorite Sauvignon Blanc on board is the Cakebread but also enjoys some of the nicer french wines once or twice a cruise. I also like the La Scolca Gavi Italian wine which isn't too expensive. At the lower end of the price spectrum the wines from Chile on board are very good wines for the price as well.

Personally we avoid all the wine packages because we prefer to enjoy the nice wide variety of bottled wines available by the bottle. Even the bottled wine packages, when available, limit you to a small selection of wines in a similar price point in exchange for a small discount and we prefer to select from a wider range.

Archived