Bringing wine onboard

jerseygirl3

I know Celebrity allows two bottles per cabin. Just wondered how they would know if you brought two in your carry-on and packed two in your checked luggage? Of course, this is strictly a hypthetical question....

Hypothetically – I wondered the same thing.

M

I plan on doing the very same thing for our upcoming Infinity cruise next week. I plan on putting 2 bottles in my carry on bags and an additional 2 in my checked bags(I am driving not flying to the port so weight is not an issue). I am not trying to be cheap as I have already purchased 8 bottles of wine from Celebrity's gift department to be delivered to our stateroom (close to $400), but there are simply certain wines that we really enjoy that are not available on the ship. When on longer sailings like ours which is 15 nights, I really wish they would consider increasing their carry on wine allowance to say 4 bottles per stateroom for cruises 14 nights or longer, 3 bottles for cruises 7-13 nights, while keeping the current 2 bottles per stateroom rule for cruises of up 7 nights.

The potential issue you face is that they might divert your checked baggage to the naughty room to have you open it in front of an inspector so that they could verify it was wine and not liquor - a major hassle if this happens unless you like getting your luggage late and spending time on embarkation evening retrieving it.

Other than that I won't comment as I make it a policy not to make postings that might be viewed as being in support of breaking the rules.:rolleyes:

However, just out of curiosity do you bring only one carry-on on board or do both you and your wife, or traveling companion, carry on one each?

The potential issue you face is that they might divert your checked baggage to the naughty room to have you open it in front of an inspector so that they could verify it was wine and not liquor - a major hassle if this happens unless you like getting your luggage late and spending time on embarkation evening retrieving it.

Other than that I won't comment as I make it a policy not to make postings that might be viewed as being in support of breaking the rules.:rolleyes:

However, just out of curiosity do you bring only one carry-on on board or do both you and your wife, or traveling companion, carry on one each?

If I am permitted to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard (per cabin) – I will have no problem going to security, opening my suitcase and letting security inspect my two sealed bottles of wine.

I have late dinner seating so getting one bag a little late will likely not be an issue. I’ll pack the wine in the case with items that I don’t need right away.

Regarding the luggage - For a 7 night cruise we generally have one checked medium suitcase each and one shared small carry on ( like a gym bag or beach bag size)

M

We have never had any problem bringing wine on board in our carry on. Generally bring 2-4 bottles, depending on how long the cruise is and buy more along the way. Always simply put in our carryon or shopping bag. We shop every port.

If I am permitted to bring 2 bottles of wine onboard (per cabin) – I will have no problem going to security, opening my suitcase and letting security inspect my two sealed bottles of wine.

I have late dinner seating so getting one bag a little late will likely not be an issue. I’ll pack the wine in the case with items that I don’t need right away.

Regarding the luggage - For a 7 night cruise we generally have one checked medium suitcase each and one shared small carry on ( like a gym bag or beach bag size)

M

Of course if you and your wife had a carry on or bag and boarded a few minutes apart.........

I never said I intended to bring wine in the carry-on in addition to a checked suitcase – let alone go through security separately from my spouse to get additional bottles on board. ( hey, but thanks for the suggestion)

To the poster who so graciously “suggested” we buy wine on board, we have every intention of doing so. Celebrity permits passengers to bring a bottle of wine (each) on board and will even allow us to pay a corkage and bring it to the dining room to enjoy with dinner. What rule is being broken?

M

On our 11/4 Med cruise, everyone in our cabin got their bags but me. Finally got a phone call that my bag had been set aside and I got a free trip to The Naughty Room! I told them I had the approved 2 bottles of wine and they handed me my suitcase! No opening it. But my daughter had a bottle of whiskey in her case and my DH had a bottle of wine in his, no problem. On top of that, they let us bring wine and liqueurs aboard with no problem. Who can figure them out?????

Just booked our first Celebrity cruise and didn't even think to ask if we're allowed to bring wine on board. Is it one bottle per person in carry on bags?

Celebrity's official policy is two bottles per cabin to be brought on during embarkation only. If taken to the dining room, you will be charged a $25 per bottle corkage fee.

For the two bottles of wine Celebrity allows you to bring aboard, can it be any size? The website does not specify.

The policy does not address bottle size. We've never taken anything other than a standard 750ML bottle but I've read a lot of comments here on Cruise Critic and here is my observation: There is inconsistent practice on the ships as to whether large bottles or boxes of wine are on board. Most posts I've read indicate no problems with large bottles and boxes but there have definitely been reports of both large bottles and boxes of wine being disallowed and confiscated.

The bottom line is that while the odds seem to be in your favor you also need to be prepared for the fact that a box, or large bottle, might be confiscated. If you want to play it safe and be sure you'll get your wine on board then don't push the rules and stick with two standard size bottles.

How about a Tawny Port or Sherry? Are they considered wine or liquor by Celebrity???

I am going to say liquor because both are fortified wines whose alcohol content is significantly higher than a regular bottle of wine.

Most likely they will consider them to be wine, but do remember that the person who will be taking the forbidden items will not be trained in the details of such things -- they will have been told to allow wine, and not allow liquor and probably not much more than that. And some of the staff are more diligent than others in enforcing the regulations, so there really isn't any way of saying for sure what will be allowed and what won't.

Our Cruise Critic friends report that, especially in ports where a visit to a winery is one of the offered excursions, and in Europe, passengers have been allowed to bring wine, limoncello, ouzo and other things that aren't supposed to be brought aboard. And, on the other hand, during spring break, the carry-on luggage has been screened much more thoroughly and no spirits or wines are allowed at any port. YMMV

Most likely they will consider them to be wine, but do remember that the person who will be taking the forbidden items will not be trained in the details of such things...

This is true. I recall a thread a couple of years ago about some people that had their Champagne confiscated as the screener said it was Champagne and not wine - clearly a ridiculous statement since Champagne is just a type of wine. So you never know what will happen. I've never read any posts on these boards about bringing fortified wines on board, but if I had to guess I'd say it 'should' be OK since they are wines.

Is anyone familiar with FLL cruise port and a nearby store where we can purchase a couple of bottles of wine before we board?

Total Wine and More is located at: The Harbor Shops Plaza

1906 Cordova Road

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

Phone: 954-828-9463

A lot of people call Total and have them get their order ready. Jump out of the cab, run in and pay, get back in cab and head to the port.

You can also order online. Remember that if you are sailing on a Sunday, you cannot pick the wine up until noon so you if you want to get to the ship early, get it Saturday.

Alternatively, there is a Publix in the same Harbor Shops complex.

Most likely they will consider them to be wine, but do remember that the person who will be taking the forbidden items will not be trained in the details of such things -- they will have been told to allow wine, and not allow liquor and probably not much more than that. And some of the staff are more diligent than others in enforcing the regulations, so there really isn't any way of saying for sure what will be allowed and what won't.

Our Cruise Critic friends report that, especially in ports where a visit to a winery is one of the offered excursions, and in Europe, passengers have been allowed to bring wine, limoncello, ouzo and other things that aren't supposed to be brought aboard. And, on the other hand, during spring break, the carry-on luggage has been screened much more thoroughly and no spirits or wines are allowed at any port. YMMV

Really – Are you saying that although Celebrity will allow me to bring a bottle of wine – they will disallow it if I happen to sail during some random school district or college spring break week? How can this possibly be the case with the variety of school district and college spring breaks across the country? Further, I didn’t see anything on their web site regarding Spring Break exceptions to the wine policy.

M

Really – Are you saying that although Celebrity will allow me to bring a bottle of wine – they will disallow it if I happen to sail during some random school district or college spring break week? How can this possibly be the case with the variety of school district and college spring breaks across the country? Further, I didn’t see anything on their web site regarding Spring Break exceptions to the wine policy.

M

You can bring two bottles of wine onboard. Wine is always allowed. The statement was referring that is seems during spring breaks, security is looking closer trying to nab unallowed items. The shape of a tawny port/sherry bottle doesn't look like a wine bottle hence it could taken by security because it looks like (and is) alcohol.

Security definitely screens harder during spring breaks.

Thank you JDVM

I have sailed many times on spring breaks, most recently not even realizing at time of booking that it was a spring break week(end) and yes – security ( this was RCCL) was very strict.

Laughing to myself picturing a group of college spring breakers, sipping port or sherry. :)

M

Archived