Bringing wine onboard

jerseygirl3

Thank you so much for those very informative wine lists Larry. It is much appreciated.

They certainly have given us some idea of what could be available and the price range on our cruise next month. This is a first for us with Celebrity and we do of course understand that both brands and prices can change.

Like you I like the idea of trying other wines and not be locked into a package. Although I do see that for some folk this is more acceptable.

Thanks again

Teigenes

Just out of interest what would the cost of an average bottle of Chardonnay on a Celebrity ship? On a recent Cruise with HAL a reasonably good Chilean cost around $23.

By my calculations the cost per bottle in the cheapest Sommeliers' package works out at just under $38 a bottle so am assuming these must be fairly good wines.

This price includes the sommeliers tip as well as the price of the wine. I found the price for the quality to be higher than average mark up.

This price includes the sommeliers tip as well as the price of the wine. I found the price for the quality to be higher than average mark up.

TO RKSUE,

???

It was my understanding that all listed prices for alcohol on Celebrity Ships were BEFORE the mandatory 15% tip.

So $ 38 would become $ 43.70 on one's account

Cheers!

They have very few New Zealand wines - only one Sauvignon Blanc - a Brancott Reserve which is OK but not our favorite. My wife is a big fan of Sauvignon Blanc as she can not drink red wine, but not so much of a Chardonnay fan. Her favorite Sauvignon Blanc on board is the Cakebread but also enjoys some of the nicer french wines once or twice a cruise.

Your wife has very good taste;) Who said Sancerre?:) I also give a nod to some of the Chilean wines they have.

Phil

Here are some links to copies of some wine lists I made and put online last winter:

They have very few New Zealand wines - only one Sauvignon Blanc - a Brancott Reserve which is OK but not our favorite. My wife is a big fan of Sauvignon Blanc as she can not drink red wine, but not so much of a Chardonnay fan. Her favorite Sauvignon Blanc on board is the Cakebread but also enjoys some of the nicer french wines once or twice a cruise. I also like the La Scolca Gavi Italian wine which isn't too expensive. At the lower end of the price spectrum the wines from Chile on board are very good wines for the price as well.

Personally we avoid all the wine packages because we prefer to enjoy the nice wide variety of bottled wines available by the bottle. Even the bottled wine packages, when available, limit you to a small selection of wines in a similar price point in exchange for a small discount and we prefer to select from a wider range.

Thanks for the wine list. I imagine the list is the same for most/all other ships. Is that the case? We sail the Solstice shortly.

Thanks,M

Thanks for the wine list. I imagine the list is the same for most/all other ships. Is that the case? We sail the Solstice shortly.

Thanks,M

They vary a little as you may see between the Constellation and Eclipse lists. The Solstice wine list should be the same as the Eclipse lists - although they might have changed some since last winter as well. But these should give you a very good idea of what to expect and in the past they haven't changed a lot from ship to ship or year to year.

Has anyone had the experience of having a number of cabins in a party occupied by minors and the parents using the boarding bottle allowance for their kids room?

We will have five cabins, with two occupied by under 21s. It would be nice to be able to use the alowance for all the cabins!

Has anyone had the experience of having a number of cabins in a party occupied by minors and the parents using the boarding bottle allowance for their kids room?

We will have five cabins, with two occupied by under 21s. It would be nice to be able to use the alowance for all the cabins!

TO SARAFINADH,

I could be wrong on this…

BUT I believe I read recently in another posting that as per Celebrity’s OFFICIAL RULES every Cabin is supposed be registered with an Adult… so a Family of 4 would be one adult and one child in each cabin (believe this is one of those clauses to cover off Celebrity from any liability issues)… of course in practice, most immediate families (especially if they have connecting cabins) dally things up different with the Parents in one cabin, and the Kids in the other.

So “technically” as there is supposed to be one adult in each cabin, and the wine allowance is 2 bottles per cabin (not a bottle per adult if I recall) then ya, one could bring aboard 2 bottles for every cabin.

Inpart from the the Celebrity "Caribbean 2012-13" Brochure...

<< Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) standard size (750 ml or smaller) bottles per stateroom... >>

Lol, as I am the wine nut around these parts and deeply entrenched in any research I can find on the topic when it comes to Celebrity, I’ll be curious to see what others post as a reply to your Question and HOW in fact they’ve found the rules to be applied.

Cheers!

That is pretty interesting info about how the bookings might have been handled. The reservations on celebrity show the kids in their own cabins... I wonder if the inlaws didn't know and didn't note that they were minors and so X booked them as adults...

This is how it came thru when he emailed it to us;

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Mr. John xxxx Dec/1/1938

Mrs. Mary xxxx Apr/29/1939

50th anniversary

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Mr. Garrett xxxx 10/27/62

Mrs. Sara xxxx 6/15/62

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Ms. Katherine xxxx 5/12/93

Ms. Elizabeth xxxx 2/12/95

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Mr. Eric xxxx 7/17/64

Mrs. Ann Marie xxxx 11/19/66

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Mr. Matthew xxxx 7/10/97

Mr. Michael xxxx 8/5/99

Hhmmmm... No that looks like birthdates so X knows their ages...

It's a puzzle!

That is pretty interesting info about how the bookings might have been handled. The reservations on celebrity show the kids in their own cabins... I wonder if the inlaws didn't know and didn't note that they were minors and so X booked them as adults...

This is how it came thru when he emailed it to us;

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Mr. John xxxx Dec/1/1938

Mrs. Mary xxxx Apr/29/1939

50th anniversary

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Mr. Garrett xxxx 10/27/62

Mrs. Sara xxxx 6/15/62

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Ms. Katherine xxxx 5/12/93

Ms. Elizabeth Turner 2/12/95

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Mr. Eric xxxx 7/17/64

Mrs. Ann Marie xxxx 11/19/66

cabin #2xxx

booking #9xxxx

Mr. Matthew xxxx 7/10/97

Mr. Michael xxxx 8/5/99

Hhmmmm... No that looks like birthdates so X knows their ages...

It's a puzzle!

TO SARAFINADH,

Again, I quote from the Celebrity Brochure I have in hand...

<< UNACCOMPANIED MINORS

No guest under the age of 21 will be booked in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult 21 years or older. This age limit will be waived for: minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms... >>

So I guess it all depends on whether the staterooms are determined to be adjacent... which in the strictest sence of the word means adjoining or beside (not across from each other)

Lol, if they are indeed adjacent, and Mom & Dad have bought 2 Staterooms, then I would say that the rule of 2 bottles per stateroom could hold water. I'd certainly be willing to risk it upon boarding. :D

Cheers!

TO SARAFINADH,

Again, I quote from the Celebrity Brochure I have in hand...

<< UNACCOMPANIED MINORS

No guest under the age of 21 will be booked in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult 21 years or older. This age limit will be waived for: minor children sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms... >>

So I guess it all depends on whether the staterooms are determined to be adjacent... which in the strictest sence of the word means adjoining or beside (not across from each other)

Lol, if they are indeed adjacent, and Mom & Dad have bought 2 Staterooms, then I would say that the rule of 2 bottles per stateroom could hold water. I'd certainly be willing to risk it upon boarding. :D

Cheers!

Actually, Celebrity's website says directly next door or directly across the hall.

What is Celebrity's stateroom assignment age policy?

Subject: Age Requirements

No guest younger than age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of the sailing.

This age limit will be waived for: minors (under 21) can be berthed without an adult (21 or older) in the stateroom only when at least one parent is sailing and the staterooms are physically adjacent (directly next door or directly across the hall) to one another; for underage married couples; and for active duty members of the United States or Canadian military. Certain other restrictions and conditions will apply; such as compliance with the age of twenty-one (21) alcohol policy, and proof of marriage for underage couples or proof of active duty military status.

I know Celebrity allows two bottles per cabin. Just wondered how they would know if you brought two in your carry-on and packed two in your checked luggage? Of course, this is strictly a hypthetical question....

People, please, please don't treat this cruise line as a Carnival cruise. Is it too much to respect the rules regarding bringing alcohol on board.

Smuggling and Carnival seem to be one-in-the-same.

The rules are there for a purpose, perhaps it's best just to follow them?

Fyi, from Celebrity:

<< Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom...

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age twentyone (21), demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. >>

As mentioned, it is all here:

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/faq/Cel_Alcohol_Policy_07-30-07.pdf

Ok the state rooms are adjoining, all in a row, so maybe that's the explaination of how the reservation looks.

People, please, please don't treat this cruise line as a Carnival cruise. Is it too much to respect the rules regarding bringing alcohol on board.

Smuggling and Carnival seem to be one-in-the-same.

The rules are there for a purpose, perhaps it's best just to follow them?

Fyi, from Celebrity:

<< Guests are not allowed to bring beer or hard liquor onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine onboard with them at the beginning of the cruise may do so, limited to two (2) bottles per stateroom...

Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age twentyone (21), demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. >>

As mentioned, it is all here:

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/faq/Cel_Alcohol_Policy_07-30-07.pdf

And Gordie, I have NO IDEA why you felt compelled to interject yourself into this conversation with your chiding unpleasant comment.

At NO time did I or anyone else suggest breaking the rules. And your assumption that we are not aware of the rules is foolish, since clearly the conversation was concerning what is WITHIN the rules.

Pay closer attention next time you climb on that high horse. Or better yet ride it somewhere else.

Ok, I am exercising my ability to edit my post because I see you were ostensibly responding to a post made last November. But still why assume the worst of people? And why feel entitled to lecture others for asking for information?

It just leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

I have actually, already done that, but currently the thread is conversing about the rules and what is within them.

It seems reasonable to expect that people would keep current on the thread if they were invested enough into it to post in.

And in between the folks trying to be sly there are just a lot of people, like myself, trying to understand how it is going to be applied in each particular circumstance.

If I do the math, it sounds like you have 6 people in your party who are over 21 years of age. That's 12 bottles of wine - 2 per person. During embarkation just go thru separate x-ray/security screening lines. Frankly, they could care less.

I always carry up to 5 bottles of wine with me -- 2 in my backpack & 3 in my roller carry on. My wife's a big chicken -- she'll only take 2. :D

It's really not a big deal.

This is a very long thread -- you only entered it recently yourself -- go back through it and see how many people discussed ways of breaking the rules -- see post 5, 9, 28 etc. --

I have actually, already done that, but currently the thread is conversing about the rules and what is within them.

It seems reasonable to expect that people would keep current on the thread if they were invested enough into it to post in.

And in between the folks trying to be sly there are just a lot of people, like myself, trying to understand how it is going to be applied in each particular circumstance.

TO CRUISE STITCH,

True enough...

BUT like SARAFINADH it always amazes me how folks jump in and add to a thread without reading thru the whole thing... Because threads can change greatly here on CC from inception to the minute some one joins the converstation "in process"

To avoid embarassment, confrontation, or just being out of the loop etc... (as it appears GORDIE HOWE here might be)...

It is always best to to read thru ALL the replies (can be time consuming for sure)... but if one wants to participate it does make sense to know what is going on... makes perfect sense just like it does in the real world to not butt in to a conversation in process, but rather to walk up and listen for awhile to catch the gist of what is being discussed in what context.

As SARAFINADH has said, we are now way beyond the past posts on how to break the rules... and are trying to understand how they might apply within a particular situation, so that someone could stay within them for all intensive purposes.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Just want to make sure I have this right, 2 bottles of 750ml or less sealed wine are allowed but you carry them on per cabin; don't pack In checked luggage?

Next, up to 12 sealed soft drinks or water allowed. Also carry on or can they go checked?

Can we take snacks aboard? If so can, they be sent in the checked luggage?

Past the discussion on bringing extra bottles? See post #91.

TO CRUISE STITCH,

Well obviously not now... perhaps a run-down of the timing and why my reply says what it does and didn't address the "Rule Breaking" suggested by WINE-O

GORDIE HOWE posted at 8:28 PM

SARAFINADH replied at 8:56 PM

Then yourself at 9:01 PM

Then SARAFINADH to you at 9:05 PM

Then I logged on to the thread and drafted up my reply to you... and while I was doing that,

WINE-O replied at 9:08 PM

And SARAFINADH replied back to them at 9:13 PM

Then I hit the submit reply button and my reply to you came up at 9:19 PM

And then you replied again at 9:25 PM

I have not replied to WINE-O, because I believe that SARAFINADH's reply says it all... we are not condoning rule breaking (and it appears neither are the majority of posters in this topic)

EDIT - and now in the time that I've taken to draft my reply to you... I see that ROXYMAX has posted a NEW Question, so no doubt we'll be moving onto that conversation next.

Cheers!

Just want to make sure I have this right, 2 bottles of 750ml or less sealed wine are allowed but you carry them on per cabin; don't pack In checked luggage?

Next, up to 12 sealed soft drinks or water allowed. Also carry on or can they go checked?

Can we take snacks aboard? If so can, they be sent in the checked luggage?

You can either carry on or check your wine. But Celebrity often wants to inspect the bottles to make sure they are not liquor. This is easy if you carry them on but if they are in checked luggage and detected at baggage x-ray the bags will be diverted to an inspection room (also known as the "naughty room") which will delay your receipt of the luggage and you'll have to go down to open the bags for inspection and then bring them back to your cabin. That's why many recommend carrying them on with you.

There is no limit for soft drinks or water. If the amount you are carrying on is small then just carry them on. If you are bringing a larger amount then check them with your luggage. It is not unusual for passengers to slap a luggage tag on a full case of water or soda and check it with the porters at the cruise terminal, along with their luggage, to be delivered to their cabin.

Likewise you can take snacks on board any way you want to carry them. This is presuming the snacks are in sealed packages. Fresh foods such as fruists or produce would be subject to a country's regulations and and often prohibited but food in sealed packages are generally OK.

You can either carry on or check your wine. But Celebrity often wants to inspect the bottles to make sure they are not liquor.

It seems as if at this time there is a shift in enforcement occurring and where there may have been some slack in the rule enforcement in the past, many cruisers are reporting back that the enforcement is tightening up.

I bet many who have stretched the rules in the past will be surprised the next time they board!

Carry on does avoid the issue of being called down for baggage inspection and is good advice. It would be, over all, more convenient to pack the bottles in luggage, but I think at this juncture that may be a short view.

I was sorta hoping you would have an answer to the "children booked into cabins and how the allotment might be distributed" issue. Any idea?

I am starting to think it might be something I need to call X about but I am kind of leary of doing that because it seems as if this is the sort of issue where you might get three different answers from three different people!

Thanks! I am only thinking nuts and goldfish. Maybe two ginger ales and a few waters and a bottle of wine for the room. I may not take anything as I can't remember taking anything on the other 15 cruises. I remember one time taking two bottles of water and two packs of peanut mm's on that was out of Tampa on Carnival. ....But I know a long time ago you could buy your liquor on the ship and consume it as well as buying stuff in port and carry it back on! Times sure have changed with people using rummer runners and such....LOL!!!!

Archived