Silver Cloud's A/c

mrscrab

Does anyone know if the a/c has been fixed? need to know before we book our next cruise.

Thanks.

We watched the significant new parts being loaded at 9am on Saturday - together with a team of around 6 engineers. The turning on 'ceremony' is apparently due today (Monday) so all will be nice and cool for tomorrow's new passengers. (actually the interior temperatures have been quite reasonable for a few days now)

We watched the significant new parts being loaded at 9am on Saturday - together with a team of around 6 engineers. The turning on 'ceremony' is apparently due today (Monday) so all will be nice and cool for tomorrow's new passengers. (actually the interior temperatures have been quite reasonable for a few days now)

Am I correct in understanding that the A/C problem was limited to public areas of the ship and not the cabins? We had an issue with our cabin A/C years ago on the Whisper and they moved us... like the location of our cabin on the January 7 sailing (Verandah 710) so I am hopeful that the A/C is adequate there.

Am I correct in understanding that the A/C problem was limited to public areas of the ship and not the cabins? We had an issue with our cabin A/C years ago on the Whisper and they moved us... like the location of our cabin on the January 7 sailing (Verandah 710) so I am hopeful that the A/C is adequate there.

On the t/a crossing the problem also affected deck 4, i.e. Vista Suites. It wasn't that it stopped working, it just couldn't cope. Some people moved, some were given fans, and some just slept on top of the bed clothes.

Worst public area's were the main restaurant and the Terrace.

We were on from Lisbon to Barbados. We were given $US2000.00 each towards our next cruise, I understand the next cruise the passengers got $US2500.00. Maybe someone could confirm this.

The a/c problems started in our suite 417 then for the rest of that deck. We were looking "hot and bothered" to say the least.

We have booked our next cruise on the Shadow which as far as we now doesn't have the a/c problems that the Cloud and the Wind have had in the past.

Great question .... but somehow I think you already knew the answer.

As you know those on the Barbados to Manaus voyage received a $2500 future cruise credit with an June 2013 expiration date. This credit was only against the published fare before discounts so it was not $2500 in reality. Those guests on the TA crossing when the AC first went out were offered $2000 pp.

But thanks to the posting of a Guest embarking on November 22nd, we now know that Silversea offered the passengers on the following cruise a deal that they couldn't refuse!

Upon disembarking the Cloud on the 22nd it was reported that the Guests embarking that day already had a letter prepared for them by the Company. After only a few hours on the 22nd of November a Guest posted the compensation they received.

I leave it to you to speculate why these Guests would receive a significantly better compensation than you did!

It is truly shameful that Silversea discriminated in this way. It has only created ill-will. Did they really think that it would be kept a secret?

Those on the Cloud from the 8th of November to the 22nd (BGI to MAN) had the anxiety of not knowing if the AC would be repaired, the cruise canceled midway or what.

I cannot understand the logic of management as to why passengers that just two weeks before and had the same unpleasant environment that was destined for the new passengers + missed ports + unlike those on the previous voyage who had the additional anxiety of not knowing if the AC would be repaired --- should be treated so differently by Silversea. What were they thinking?

I do not begrudge those that received a full refund and a free cruise if they wanted it .... but Silversea should have treated everyone the same. To do otherwise is a real slap in the face and destroys loyalty in a significant way.

Do you wonder why you didn't read more than a few complaints from passengers embarking from Manaus to Barbados. Of course not, they got all their money back and a free cruise!

Here is the posting and the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1518441

#10 November 22nd, 2011, 05:55 PM

Noggins

Cool Cruiser

We have just joined Cloud in Manaus for the 22nd return trip to Barbados. The itinerary has been changed with several ports dropped to enable the ship to get to Barbados 3 days earlier than scheduled to allow time for a repair. Everyone has been offered a full refund and help getting home - or a full refund and the altered trip. Most appear to have accepted the high on-board temperatures and reduced dress code and will accept the full refund as compensation. Seems a fair offer - although we have still to have confirmation that the OBC's will be honoured!

Loyalty has to be earned. I leave it to others to judge for themselves. I am thoroughly disappointed.

Sorry but you have the $US2000.00 wrong. It is off any fare WITH DISCOUNTS not the published fare. We have just booked the Shadow, Fremantle to Singapore 12 days in February. The published fare was $12,695 for a Vista less 60% making it $5078 less the $2000.00 so our receipt shows $US6156 for 2 passengers. The slight difference is in the currency exchange.

I feel the difference of the $2000.00 to the $2500.00 was because the a/c started to fail about 10 days out on the Transatlantic. We didn't suffer the whole voyage but the passengers embarking in Barbados did.

Nobody yet has told us if the a/c has been fixed properly or if the crew have received any higher wages because of the conditions they have had to work in.

Indeed you are correct. The wording on the certificate during a first read is a bit awkward. It reads "This cruise certificate is valid solely toward the full published cruise-only brochure fare less port charges...."

Having once received a certificate for $500 the company insisted it was to be applied before discounts..... but ----- reading a bit further on this one it says "....and will be applied to your booking after all our other savings programs....

Your correction is certainly appreciated!

Thankyou, not very often I receive an apology on CC. I feel Silversea have tried their best in an unfortunate situation that couldn't be foreseen before the Cloud left Lisbon.

Once again I ask - does anyone know if the problem has been fixed??

Thanks to everyone for the updates. We have today received our credit confirmation letter. We have also contacted Silversea in the UK asking for an explanation re the difference in credits offered, especially between the 2 Amazon voyages. We wait for our reply.

Perhaps someone who has just disembarked in Barbados will answer your question ref the current state of the A/C

Great question .... but somehow I think you already knew the answer.

As you know those on the Barbados to Manaus voyage received a $2500 future cruise credit with an June 2013 expiration date. This credit was only against the published fare before discounts so it was not $2500 in reality. Those guests on the TA crossing when the AC first went out were offered $2000 pp.

But thanks to the posting of a Guest embarking on November 22nd, we now know that Silversea offered the passengers on the following cruise a deal that they couldn't refuse!

Upon disembarking the Cloud on the 22nd it was reported that the Guests embarking that day already had a letter prepared for them by the Company. After only a few hours on the 22nd of November a Guest posted the compensation they received.

I leave it to you to speculate why these Guests would receive a significantly better compensation than you did!

It is truly shameful that Silversea discriminated in this way. It has only created ill-will. Did they really think that it would be kept a secret?

Those on the Cloud from the 8th of November to the 22nd (BGI to MAN) had the anxiety of not knowing if the AC would be repaired, the cruise canceled midway or what.

I cannot understand the logic of management as to why passengers that just two weeks before and had the same unpleasant environment that was destined for the new passengers + missed ports + unlike those on the previous voyage who had the additional anxiety of not knowing if the AC would be repaired --- should be treated so differently by Silversea. What were they thinking?

I do not begrudge those that received a full refund and a free cruise if they wanted it .... but Silversea should have treated everyone the same. To do otherwise is a real slap in the face and destroys loyalty in a significant way.

Do you wonder why you didn't read more than a few complaints from passengers embarking from Manaus to Barbados. Of course not, they got all their money back and a free cruise!

Here is the posting and the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1518441

#10 November 22nd, 2011, 05:55 PM

Noggins

Cool Cruiser

We have just joined Cloud in Manaus for the 22nd return trip to Barbados. The itinerary has been changed with several ports dropped to enable the ship to get to Barbados 3 days earlier than scheduled to allow time for a repair. Everyone has been offered a full refund and help getting home - or a full refund and the altered trip. Most appear to have accepted the high on-board temperatures and reduced dress code and will accept the full refund as compensation. Seems a fair offer - although we have still to have confirmation that the OBC's will be honoured!

Loyalty has to be earned. I leave it to others to judge for themselves. I am thoroughly disappointed.

I strongly suspect that the majority affected would ignore these beginnings of a howl of 'it's not fair' and recognise that they still had a good cruise experience and have been compensated in a way that, I suspect, the vast majority felt to be fair. We would have felt that a credit of c.$2k was very satisfactory. OK, we got more, for what reason I know not, but to expect management decisions not to be taken in the light of then current circumstances is unwise, in my view. I guess it had something to do with our joining at the hottest part of the trip and not round the other way. In any event it should be remembered that the there was some a/c! (around 65 - 70%)

I would encourage all to judge their situation on what happened to them and not what happened to others, later.

And as for the a/c - it seemed to be working pretty well when we left this morning.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Barbados to Manaus cruise on Nov 9th and I confirm that we have been sent a credit for $2500 each but bear in mind the aircon was not working properly from day one whereas I understand the Lisbon to Barbados cruise was only affected for the last few days. Also while in the carribean the problem was nothing like as bad as when we got to the equatorial watersm and the cruise ended 3 days early with credit offered if we disembarked earlt, which we did but as of Dec 20th I am still waiting for the refund promised

We were on from Lisbon to Barbados. We were given $US2000.00 each towards our next cruise, I understand the next cruise the passengers got $US2500.00. Maybe someone could confirm this.

The a/c problems started in our suite 417 then for the rest of that deck. We were looking "hot and bothered" to say the least.

We have booked our next cruise on the Shadow which as far as we now doesn't have the a/c problems that the Cloud and the Wind have had in the past.

Archived