How long does it take to get off the ship back in home port

Angiet75

I am curious how long it takes to get off the ship once back in Tampa?

Also our dang flight does not leave until 3:30 pm.

Im sure we will be sitting at the airport a long time? Or will we?

Is it a long process to get off the hsip? Do we go through customs?

should we have booked a later or earlier flight?

When you return to port, everyone has to clear customs before people are allowed to leave the ship. I don't know what time your ship docks, but I am guessing yes, you'll be sitting at the airport for a while. If you've already booked your flight, you'd have to pay to change them.

Don't think you needed to book a later flight. I'd rather wait, as boring as it is, then miss my flight.

Most ships arrive at the debarkation port by 7am or 8am. The debarkation process starts as soon as the local authorities clear the ship. This usually takes 30 minutes or so. It is then about 2 or 3 hours until the last passengers are off. If you are in the last group. You will probably be off about 10 or 10:30am. Some cruise lines offer excursions for passengers with late flights. These excursions end at the airport.

We always do self-disembarkation which means we have to handle our own luggage, get to be off in the first group and get to avoid searching the aircraft hanger for our luggage. We are usually off and gone within 30 minutes of the ship getting cleared. Some of our times have been very short, I remember docking in Civitavecchia at 7:00 and getting to our hotel in Rome at 8:15.

Kirk

Keep in mind that if you self-disembark you need to handle all your luggage and should be able to do so without blocking hallways, etc. In my opinion it's really rude to have more than a roller bag and maybe a day bag/tote (basically the equivalent of airline carry on). If you can't easily manage it and keep walking at a regular pace, do everyone including yourself a favor and don't try doing this.

Self disembarkation is a giant p.i.t.a., IMHO. Who wants to lug all that stuff when you don't have to? Rushing to be among the 1st off is chaotic.

Even if you are in the last group off the ship, you will disembark around 10 - 10:30 a.m. Then you go into a big warehouse where you hunt around for your luggage. The luggage is grouped together by luggage tag color. You will get a color a few days before the cruise ends. When you are in one of the last groups there isn't much luggage to hunt through b/c everyone else already has there's. It's actually quite easy. You find your luggage, go through customs & go to whatever you are doing next.

For a 3:30 flight you should plan to arrive at the AP by 1:30 ish. So you have 3 hours to kill. You can take a ship's tour or just go somewhere & have a lesiurely lunch.

Archived