Sweetners

RCI carries the "no name" brand of the pink, blue, and yellow sweetener. The ingredients are the same, but if your family prefers the name brand, they should bring their own. I am diabetic and the yellow version suited me perfectly well.

I have been carrying my own Splenda tablets since RCL stopped providing real Splenda.

Sometimes I have seen Splenda. Sometimes it is a substitute. When they substitute, in the past, all of the packets have been from Nutrasweet. Yellow was still sucralose (or Splenda). Blue was still aspartame (Equal). Pink was still saccharin (Sweet N'Low).

On our Voyager cruise in Jan., I seem to remember the pink, blue and yellow packets all had the same ingredient; Nutrasweet. They were just packaged it in 3 different colors. I think lots of folks didn't read the ingredients and assumed they were all Sweet n Low, Equal and Splenda. My DH is diabetic and had no problems with either color packet since they were all alike, but go with what you feel is best for you.

On our Voyager cruise in Jan., I seem to remember the pink, blue and yellow packets all had the same ingredient; Nutrasweet. They were just packaged it in 3 different colors. I think lots of folks didn't read the ingredients and assumed they were all Sweet n Low, Equal and Splenda. My DH is diabetic and had no problems with either color packet since they were all alike, but go with what you feel is best for you.

I specifically checked and while all made by Nutrasweet (the brand), they were different ingredients.

Some of Tate & Lyle's patents on Sucralose (branded at Splenda) expired in 2006 and Nutrasweet Corp. (maker of Nutrasweet brand of apspartame) started to move into to making sucralose due to production capacity issues up to that point limiting supply. Since then Nutrasweet Corp. has become an OEM supplier of all the major non-caloric sweetners including under its own label. Which is really confusing since one of their brands (for aspartame) is the same as the labeling for the other products.

I don't tolerate aspartame (blue packst) well because it is enough like sugar to trigger insulin release and subsequent sugar crash and hunger. Heck of a thing for a diet substance to be an appetite stimulant. Sucralose does not do that to me.

I've found that in the Windjammer (on Brilliance and Serenade anyway) that if sucralose (yellow packet) was not on tables it was available for the asking at the drink stations. Later I found it could be obtained self-serve from a bowl at one end of the counter raching in from the side. Nobody minded my taking a couple packets for ice tea.

I dont see a problem using their generic...but my cosmetic bag has been packed with a baggie of Splenda packets for years. I have to look into the Nutrasweet though to see if its any cheaper...Splenda is so expensive. Thanks for the info.

Starting a couple years ago I began seeing store brand sucralose. First was Albertsons stores and later Cub (both Super Valu owned chains). probably also Jewel-Osco, Shoppers, Lucky, Save a Lot, Hornbacher, Shop'n Save and Super Value stores. Outer packaging at both Cub and Albertsons is purple but packets inside are yellow. About 2/3 the price of brand name Splenda and even bigger difference for the bulk bags. Other major distributors (like Kroger) are probably doing the same thing.

No doubt lower cost for generic is a huge reason RCI switched.

I was on the Explorer recently. The yellow packets were very scarce.

Ditto - I sailed 10/28/11 - if that is your sweetener of choice be prepared to ask for it. Several times in the MDR our sugar bowls had none...but again it's the generic, not true Splenda.

Archived