Chair hog question- Explorer January

GolfSki

Hi-

Yet another chair hog thread, sorry, but I have a specific question. I'll be on the Jan 6th 10 night sailing of the Explorer and was wondering how bad the chair hog situation usually is on a cruise like this? I guess my question really is, given the anticipated, shall I say "mature" demographic of this sailing, are chair hogs an issue on this type of cruise?

Thanks for your input. This is our first cruise in over 20 years and we're really looking forward to it. I've been reading CC daily for a few months and have learned so much. Thank You!!!

Hi-

Yet another chair hog thread, sorry, but I have a specific question. I'll be on the Jan 6th 10 night sailing of the Explorer and was wondering how bad the chair hog situation usually is on a cruise like this? I guess my question really is, given the anticipated, shall I say "mature" demographic of this sailing, are chair hogs an issue on this type of cruise?

Thanks for your input. This is our first cruise in over 20 years and we're really looking forward to it. I've been reading CC daily for a few months and have learned so much. Thank You!!!

I think your guess is as good as mine. Chair hogging has little to do with maturity and much more to do with kindness, consideration of others, and doing the "right" thing. I wish you good luck !;):)

One real help in that past few years is towel accountability - now people can't just leave towels and walk. Beware chairs with yellow spa towels on them, thoughtless people don't bother removing them.

And, don't hesitate to get after pool crew to remove items left for hours.

It can vary from sailing to sailing, as to how many folks want to be by the pool! We prefer being up one deck (still easy enough to take a dip when needed!), where there are plenty of loungers and more space to 'spread out", instead of being crammed together like sardines!!!

i just got of the explorer today and i could tell you that chair hogs was bad every morning there was like 20 chairs with books and towels for hours even on the palace theater people saving a whole road of seats

Remember you need to view this as an opportunity. The Chair Hogs are just putting out towels for you to borrow during the cruise. That way you won't have any charged against your sea pass account. Just take one of the towels off the chairs, use it all week and exchange it when it is dirty. Just remeber to return it to the same chair on the last night of the cruise. As a manner of courtesy, please get a clean towel before you return it to the chair where you found it ! :D:D:D

We have gone on the Explorer each January for the last few years and are going again this January. To be honest, I have never noticed an overwhelmingly annoying chair hog situation. Ther are some, but O have always been able to get a chair when I needed one. Maybe it was just luck. I have encountered general rudeness around the ship in other areas, regardless of the "mature" demographic. In fact, sad to say, but I seem to run into a lot of "mature" folks who have a feeling of entitlement. Sometimes they are ruder than us young folks.

OK, I don't know if I am still considered one of the young folks, but whatever.:D

Hi-

Hi! I am on this same sailing. You may be surprised with the number of young people on board. Check out our roll call for this sailing. You will see a great number of people who have posted that their group includes young adults. However, I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this as we selected this week because our son was on winter break from college and therefor ...we could cruise as a family. I expect limited numbers of young children, but perhaps lots of 18-25 year olds. I guess we will find out in JUST 35 DAYS!!!

Kim

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this as we selected this week because our son was on winter break from college

Once enough family members with kids backed out of the family Christmas cruise, we purposely moved it to the 15th of january. we saved 50% on the cruise (compared to the Christmas prices) and there should be a lot fewer kids.

Hi-

We are going on Explorer the week before you--I will waive (albeit with great disdain and reluctance) as we disembark!

I doubt that the pool deck will be any more crowded than normal. Since you are sailing the second week of January, there will likely be less families and thus more older people (not families). Some of those people might be more interested in shopping on the promenade or doing activities than sunbathing, but that is probably also true of younger people. The one benefit, however, is that less families means that there will hopefully be fewer parents saving chairs for themselves and their five kids who are running about.

If the main pool deck gets too crowded, I would definitely recommend going one deck up. You are further from the pool--incase you want to jump in--but I'm sure the water won't be too warm in January, so that shouldn't be an issue!

Remember you need to view this as an opportunity. The Chair Hogs are just putting out towels for you to borrow during the cruise. That way you won't have any charged against your sea pass account. Just take one of the towels off the chairs, use it all week and exchange it when it is dirty. Just remeber to return it to the same chair on the last night of the cruise. As a manner of courtesy, please get a clean towel before you return it to the chair where you found it ! :D:D:D

To funny! Would be even funnier if a monogrammed towel had been left out in the 1st place...

even on the palace theater people saving a whole road of seats

This is the thing I just don't get! How can anyone bully people out of an entire ROW of theater seats? No confrontation if you just go get a manager and have the policy (that they are announcing repeatedly over the PA system) explained. And, then you sit down! :D

This is the thing I just don't get! How can anyone bully people out of an entire ROW of theater seats? No confrontation if you just go get a manager and have the policy (that they are announcing repeatedly over the PA system) explained. And, then you sit down! :D

I don't fully understand it myself, but people tend to back away from any and all confrontation. I do not. I will sit in your "reserved" seats. If you have a problem with that, go find an RCCL employee to defend your position. I'm not going to waste my vacation time alerting them to your violation(s) of ship policy. I paid for the cruise too...and I actually managed to show up on time.

Hi! I am on this same sailing. You may be surprised with the number of young people on board. Check out our roll call for this sailing. You will see a great number of people who have posted that their group includes young adults. However, I guess I shouldn't be surprised by this as we selected this week because our son was on winter break from college and therefor ...we could cruise as a family. I expect limited numbers of young children, but perhaps lots of 18-25 year olds. I guess we will find out in JUST 35 DAYS!!!

Kim

Thanks for all the replies!

Kim-We are also going this week because my 2 girls (18 and 21) are home from college as well. We're taking my 13 year old son out of school as well. I have noticed on the roll call that there are a few in their age group. They are hoping that there are others their age out in the clubs at night. For me, I know I'm getting old because now I get up when I used to get in!:rolleyes:

As for my original question, I'm not big for being around the pool all day, I just don't want a hassle whenever we do want to be there. I don't mind going a deck up, we don't have to be next to the pool. I do like to have all of us together hanging out as with the girls being away at school we don't see them much. And no, I won't save chairs for everyone:).

Five weeks from today!!

Hi-

I have found on the ExOS that when the "mature demographic" ;) is the majority that the Solarium loungers are harder to come by. In other areas of the deck I haven't noticed any more or less chair hogging than usual. Now that the crew is more responsive to chair hog issues it seems to be less of a problem in general.

Bon voyage!

Chair Hogging is a MUCH larger issue on this message board than it is on ANY cruise of ANY length!! :D :D

Don't worry about it! If you have a sea day, with beautiful weather and want to spend the majority of the day by the pool ...... then get there early and get a chair!

Thanks for all the replies!

Kim-We are also going this week because my 2 girls (18 and 21) are home from college as well. We're taking my 13 year old son out of school as well. I have noticed on the roll call that there are a few in their age group. They are hoping that there are others their age out in the clubs at night. For me, I know I'm getting old because now I get up when I used to get in!:rolleyes:

As for my original question, I'm not big for being around the pool all day, I just don't want a hassle whenever we do want to be there. I don't mind going a deck up, we don't have to be next to the pool. I do like to have all of us together hanging out as with the girls being away at school we don't see them much. And no, I won't save chairs for everyone:).

Five weeks from today!!

As the kids get older and older it is harder to come up with as much "family" time.

I know what you mean about getting old. During school breaks, I often will glance down the hall when I am getting up in the morning and see my son's light flicking off. It drives me CRAZY that they can sleep ALL DAY! I can't wait for this CRUISE!

Kim

Archived