Delta Gold vs Platinum

whale-watcher

Not strictly a cruise air related question, but my current travel plans will leave me about 6000 miles short of Platinum status this year (I have been silver most of the year, gold the year before). Just received an MQM purchase offer from Delta, and could potentially buy the missing miles for $695 and qualify for platinum status next year.

If I do this, however, I will only have a few rollover miles, and will probably drop back down to silver status for 2013. My other option would be to keep my gold status and 19000 rollover miles, in which case I would probably easily qualify for gold again in 2013.

There is a big jump in benefits between silver and gold, but other than a greater chance of upgrades (nice but not a huge priority for me) it seems like the platinum benefits are only a little bit better than the gold (free premium seats, a few free upgrade coupons), unless there is something I am missing.

So given the choice, would you opt for two years of gold, or one year of platinum and one year of silver?

Thanks in advance!!

What are your flying patterns? What will your flying be like in 2012 and 2013? Will you be able to earn status for 2013 with your flights in 2012?

I find the biggest differences between gold and platinum are (1) more upgrades and (2) the free award changes. The free award changes can be huge as someone refines their booking to get optimal connections, better routings and/or even a lower award level.

Usually fly every 4-6 weeks, between MSP (or duluth) and Florida or DC. No international travel planned for 2012 (so far ;-)

Use my FF miles mostly to fly family here and there, and they are usually fairly flexible; I forgot about the new award ticket redeposit benefit however...that is a big plus for platinum.

I forgot about the new award ticket redeposit benefit however...that is a big plus for platinum.

Actually that is not a new benefit. It was changed about 3 years ago from unlimited to 2/year for platinums, then changed back to unlimited a few months later and has been unlimited for platinums ever since.

I think the big question is....will you be using the platinum benefits in 2013? If you anticipate minimal flying, you really won't be getting much from the elite status. Then, it might be better to wait and get GM for 2014 as well.

Personally, the upgrades are what keep me with DL. Award redemption is harder with Sky Pesos, with the exception of being the best program for awards to Australia and Tahiti (using partners, not DL metal). Look at the RDM bonuses and see if that works for you as well.

Finally, I take the status now. If I would need mileage and/or status runs, then at least I am doing them in the front of the bus. You also have the SkyClub benefit with PM being better than GM or FO.

One last thought on the purchase issue. Can you get the same (or nearly same) MQM with a status run and pick up redeemable miles at the same time? Consider the RDMs as a rebate on your status run, as opposed to the purchase option that is only for the MQM.

Some other DL elites may pipe up, and I can go into this further if you want in additional posts. Of course, there is always DYKWIA Medallion to shoot for.

I think the big question is....will you be using the platinum benefits in 2013? If you anticipate minimal flying, you really won't be getting much from the elite status.
Without knowing much about the DL scheme, this would be my first piece of advice as well.

In other places, one sometimes sees people who treat the earning of status as an achievement in itself. Of course, it isn't. Status is a tool to make flying easier and more pleasant, and you'd only spend money on buying a tool if you were going to use it subsequently - and especially so if the tool has a limited lifespan is guaranteed not to work after a fixed time period.

In terms of using the benefits, a lot of my flying ends up being in smaller jets without first class, or on shorter runs (DTW to washington DC) where the upgrade benefits are less meaningful.

I did enjoy the other benefits of sky priority status during my gold year (priority security lines, luggage handling, and boarding status) and really like the 100%FF mile bonus (same for gold and platinum).

Have thought about taking a status run (or two...) to acquire the miles; of course, we are quickly running out of time for 2011, and the cost would be about double (although actually net me some usable skymiles as well).

At this point, I do not anticipate enough travel in 2012 to acquire sufficient miles to maintain sky priority status in 2013 unless I have a sizable number of rollover miles going into the year. So if I shoot for Platinum in 2012 I will almost certainly be silver again in 2013 (we are not anticipating any long haul flights next year, and my frequent travel back and forth to the DC area will soon be coming to an end). If I save my MQM's as rollover miles, I should have no problem making gold status again for 2013

As usual, thanks to everyone for the great advice...it is nice to have a community of real experts on this forum!

Of course, there is always DYKWIA Medallion to shoot for.
:D

So if I shoot for Platinum in 2012 I will almost certainly be silver again in 2013 (we are not anticipating any long haul flights next year, and my frequent travel back and forth to the DC area will soon be coming to an end). If I save my MQM's as rollover miles, I should have no problem making gold status again for 2013
Again, with the caveat that I don't know much about the DL scheme: Is there not a soft landing policy?

If there is, and it works like other airlines' soft landings, if you are Platinum in 2012 but do no flying that year, you might only be downgraded to Gold anyway for 2013. So not having rollover miles may make no difference.

If that's how it works in DL, that may have an effect on your calculations for what happens in 2013.

In terms of using the benefits, a lot of my flying ends up being in smaller jets without first class, or on shorter runs (DTW to washington DC) where the upgrade benefits are less meaningful.

I did enjoy the other benefits of sky priority status during my gold year (priority security lines, luggage handling, and boarding status) and really like the 100%FF mile bonus (same for gold and platinum).

Since upgrades aren't as meaningful, given your flying habits, I'd say stick with gold and roll the miles over to make gold again the following year. I'm currently gold and that's what I'd do; I'd rather stay consistently gold, than jump to platinum one year, then drop back below sky priority the following year as a "lowly" silver, LOL.

Archived