Dining Question

josie724

We have reservations for the first night out to sea at Pinnacle. I want to make another reservation for The Tamarind, but I also don't want to miss a good dining night in the regular dining room. Does anyone know the menus ahead of time? I don't know if they do lobster night on HAL, but if they do, I'd hate to miss that.

If you provide more information such as where you are cruising and the timing, I'm sure someone can help you with when the formal nights are, and possibly the menus. There usually is lobster served once or twice on formal nights.

I would wait for your Tamarind reservations until you get on board, but that's just me.

The Tamarind is very popular, and I suggest you take your best guess and make reservations before you board, then try to change them if necessary once you board and see which nights are formal. Surf & turf (filet mignon and lobster tail) is pretty much standard on the last formal night.

If you provide more information such as where you are cruising and the timing, I'm sure someone can help you with when the formal nights are, and possibly the menus. There usually is lobster served once or twice on formal nights.

I would wait for your Tamarind reservations until you get on board, but that's just me.

We are on the Jan 2 sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam, there are no formal nights on this cruise.

We are on the Jan 2 sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam, there are no formal nights on this cruise.

That's really odd. We're on the Nieuw Amsterdam starting on the 8th for 14 days and our documents show 4 formal nights.

There are usually two formal nights per week. I looked it up and the Jan 2 sailing is only a six day cruise but there are two sea days. I would have thought at least one, if not both, sea days would have the formal nights.

However, if you're sure that there are no formal nights on your cruise, then go ahead and book Tamarind now. You can always cancel, and rebook, your reservation if you find something on the MDR menu that you have to have, like the lobster.

That's really odd.

There are usually two formal nights per week.
There was a thread a couple of weeks back that talked about several cruises just after New Year's with no formal nights. It could be a test of passenger reactions to eliminating formal nights, or something else entirely.

edit: found it -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1517328

;)

Thanks, jtl, for the link to the other thread. I missed that one!

Josie, you may not want to get too excited about the prime rib - read this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1511224

On my last cruise, in Feb/11, a few of us, in my party, had the prime rib and it was good. However, according to that thread, it sounds like it may have changed since then.

Surf and Turf (steak and a lobster tail) is usually on the HAL dining menu the next to last night of the cruise, which is generally also a formal night.

Rack of lamb is usually the star of the first formal night menu, which is often either the second night of the cruise, or the first full day at sea.

Archived