Free Wifi in various Carribean ports?

MisterBill99

Is there a single thread that discusses where to get free Wifi in various ports? I have a smartphone and will also have my laptop with me. We are sailing next week and will be visiting:

Labadee (I'm sure this is a no)

San Juan (apparently public parks have free Wifi, and my Verizon data plan should work)

St. Marteen

St. Thomas

St. Croix

Antigua

Also is there a single thread that discusses phone rates? According to the Verizon site, it appears as though I can get free text messages in St. Thomas and St. Croix (it says "Domestic Text rates apply" and I have a plan that includes texts) but calls are not free.

Thanks for any advice or pointers to where this has already been discussed.

Go to the app store for your phone and look for an app called wi-fi finder it should help you.
Thanks.. I installed that (and just when I was going to say that it would be a problem not having data access, it told me that it has a downloadable directory that can be installed). However, when I search San Juan it doesn't show any free locations and I am pretty sure that I read that the public parks have it. So it may not be that complete.

It will probably work better when I'm there and can just tell it to find something nearby using the GPS, but I'd rather plan in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Many people have a phone plan that is unique to the type of phone they have and when they bought the plan. I suggest you go to a Verizon store and have them look it up for you in person.

The reason I say that is that all of the printed literature with our Verizon plan said Puerto Rico and St. Thomas we included in our plan. However, i double checked in March before we took our cruise. I found out the Texts were included in my data plan. However, phone calls were not included. They were about $0.65/ minute in PR and over $1/minute in St Thomas.

When I asked why the literature included St Thomas and PR? I was told because coverage was AVAILABLE. (not free with plan)

Unless you are still on one of the very old America's Choice plans. everyone's Verizon coverage is the same. I used my Verizon phone in PR in December and did not get charged for calls, text or data (although data claimed to be roaming). And texts are not part of the data plan, they are an optional part of the voice plan. I did NOT try to use it in St. Thomas, because I was told that voice calls were not free, although I was told that texts were free and did not get charged for them.

I called Verizon customer service and got info. I doubt the store employees will do any better. And if they tell you it's included, tell the employee to put something in your account record in case there are problems later on.

Now it is possible that your printed information had changed (I can't remember the last time I got any printed plan info). But if it said that calls were included, they should have been free. I think you got bad information.

And just FYI, the whole topic of phone calls is completely off-topic to this thread.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived