MSC IS WONDERFUL! Thank you!

familyof4cruising

Wonder why so many unsold Balcony cabins?:confused:

Probably because of the global economic crisis. Balcony cabins cost more so many people book the cheapest cabins available so they can still enjoy a cruise. I think MSC is showing a bit of generosity in upgrading their guests to better cabins.

Probably because of the global economic crisis. Balcony cabins cost more so many people book the cheapest cabins available so they can still enjoy a cruise. I think MSC is showing a bit of generosity in upgrading their guests to better cabins.

I think MSC is very generous. I cruise about 3 times a year. I can not always cruise in a suite like I would like to, so I pick and chose. Cruising in any category is better than staying home in my opinion.

I think MSC is sorry they didn't sell those balcony cabins and isn't doing this out of the generosity of their hearts.

Most lines have the upgrade fairy call and sell an upgrade to balcony and then offer great deals on the inside cabins until they are gone.

On most lines, calls from the upgrade fairy are highly coveted.

I think MSC is sorry they didn't sell those balcony cabins and isn't doing this out of the generosity of their hearts.

Most lines have the upgrade fairy call and sell an upgrade to balcony and then offer great deals on the inside cabins until they are gone.

Every cruise line does it "their" way. Doesn't make it right or wrong. When I was upgraded on Carnival I didn't pay. On NCL I have always paid and on RCCL I have NEVER received an upgrade. Oddly enough I have cruised RCCL and NCL the most- over 15 times each. Last year I was up graded on MSC and did have to pay to upgrade. It was minimal and well worth it. This year I was fortunate enough not to have to pay. FREE is great!:)

I don't get why people are so upset or so interested in "why?". Be happy for others and move on.

One more week and I am on vacation...:D

Every cruise line does it "their" way. Doesn't make it right or wrong. When I was upgraded on Carnival I didn't pay. On NCL I have always paid and on RCCL I have NEVER received an upgrade. Oddly enough I have cruised RCCL and NCL the most- over 15 times each. Last year I was up graded on MSC and did have to pay to upgrade. It was minimal and well worth it. This year I was fortunate enough not to have to pay. FREE is great!:)

I don't get why people are so upset or so interested in "why?". Be happy for others and move on.

If I'm not interested in a post I don't respond to it, perhaps the same strategy would eliminate your confusion?

RCCL cabins are in great demand, hence normally free upgrades.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

If I'm not interested in a post I don't respond to it, perhaps the same strategy would eliminate your confusion?

RCCL cabins are in great demand, hence normally free upgrades.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

If RCCL cabins are in high demand, surely there would be nothing to upgrade to :confused:

Well I've never been offered an upgrade, probably because I book many months in advance and always with a superior balcony cabin (if available) or suite. For those who've gotten a call from the upgrade fairy, I'm happy for them. As family of 4 said above, any cruise in any category is better than staying at home.

If RCCL cabins are in high demand, surely there would be nothing to upgrade to :confused:

Aint that the truth.

I've seen people get free upgrades on RCCL. And now I've seen it here. Doesn't seem like there's any difference between the lines based on that analysis (which has at least the same research behind it as deckhand's claim).

Exactly. Princess is another line that does not do upsells. I have been on about 25 Princess cruises (many with upgrades). Never an attempt to upsell.

So true Doug

the real truth here is that MSC's computer system is so outdated and weak that they do NOT have the capacity to have "upgrade" calls

thus they mostly sell the cheapest rates...such as the AARP rate we had...I am the first to admit our cruise was cheap for most of us

MSC then tries to backpedal (they removed aarp bookings from group perks and tc benefits)....

MSC sells cheap rates and upgrades...if you live in south florida you can probably jump on for peanuts most every week

Thus MSC does not bring in the profits that other lines do, at least not on their USA sailings

the result....is the often mentioned poor food quality, such as jello, mayo and more mayo, and mystery meat concoctions and leftover looking food...

for those who say "European dining" I only wish I could watch them eat the gag worthy room service sandwich of wonder bread, mushy pink mayo mush, stale potato chips...that they called a "shrimp salad sandwich">> gag me...LOL

The "upgrades" are nice for those who get them but the fact is that the cruiseline does not turn enough of a profit to have better food

(and backdrops...they have good entertainers but no sets, no special effects)

Oops, sorry, thanks for catching that!

Should have been no free upgrades on rccl

Thanks

I got a free upgrade on msc too, and was happy for it.

It was because the ship wasn't full.

I'm just saying they seem to have to offer a lot of low prices and everybody gets upgrades for a reason, that's all.

Years ago they did do upgrades...before computerization and optimization of upsell dept

Now most lines will do small upgrades but mostly "sell" upgrades...even play 'make a deal"

Most cruises have better food and better computerization than MSC

Maybe if they did "upsells" they would be able to offer better food on board

instead

Years ago? I got upgrades last year form HAL and year befor form CCL (100$ from balcony to suite aha) .My friend for past 3 cruises got free upgrade form Princess .How do you know about MSC computer system?did you chek it? did you see it? More and more I think your are just a troll.

Well I've never been offered an upgrade, probably because I book many months in advance and always with a superior balcony cabin (if available) or suite. For those who've gotten a call from the upgrade fairy, I'm happy for them. As family of 4 said above, any cruise in any category is better than staying at home.

Well, I'm sure they know you well enough by now after all the cruises you have taken with them, perhaps if you book under an Pseudonym you might get one next time?

Hi edjl4, I see that your two previous cruises were across major Holidays. Do you think maybe it was because of the dates that you didn't get an upgrade? Maybe on other, non-Holiday cruises they have more "wiggle room" for upgrades. :)

Congrats for your optimism, considering you are new to cruising !! But then, the fact someone got an upgrade is not all that have to be said about MSC. You may wish to read other threads concerning MSC as well, before you take your first cruise !! Best of luck !!

• 1 month later...
OP, I'm curious as to what aspects of your last cruise with MSC that you liked so much. I'm taking my first cruise with them in January and trying to go with an open mind. Although I think the experience in the Mediterranean (where I'll be cruising) is different I would still appreciate hearing what you found positive (or negative for that matter) on your last MSC cruise.

Congrats on your upgrade!

:o

Will it be worth it to buy a drinks package for my two children on a med cruise or is there plenty of free juice available. any other tips saving money i would be so grateful.

:o

Will it be worth it to buy a drinks package for my two children on a med cruise or is there plenty of free juice available. any other tips saving money i would be so grateful.

There's no free juice available, other than breakfast and it's a bit like coloured sugar water rather than fruit juice! So, yes kid's drink packages would save you some money. There is a soft drinks one and a non alcoholic cocktail one (which includes smoothies, fresh fruit juices, vitamin drinks as well as the non alcoholic cocktails).

Believe there is also a kids all inclusive, but everyone in the cabin has to buy that.

I am soon going on my first cruise ever. We are going on the MSC Lirica, and I am a bit curious about these upgrades. We booked an inside cabin. If I am interested in an upgrade (free or to pay for one), do I just wait and hope? or is there something I can do to check for available upgrades (to pay for)? Is it the MSC or the travel agent I booked through who will contact me if there are upgrades available?

Pull up my recent review on Poesia on Dec 6-16.

Their food was excellent with the lobster OUTSTANDING this time. They finally switched from the half of a caribbean lobster to the lobster tails. They were nice size and cooked wonderfully. My friends who cruised with us are foodie people and were afraid to go, but they knew I have high expectations and I tell it like it is. They loved it. But what we did find out, others that cruised with us who had early seating and the dining on deck 5 all said they got very bad food. Now I am not sure why such inconsistencies or they were mighty picky. But our veal was like butter and the gravies were great. Her veal was hard as a rock she said. There are taste differences and although she is very picky, so are we, and we enjoyed so much. They had the best tenderloin with a wonderful sauce. Their baked alaska is the best we have ever had on any cruise line. So much more than ice cream... The flavor of ice cream they use, the quality of the sponge cake was wonderful and the merenque was done to perfection. They also still have the parade with it, with real fire.

Their panna cotta is delicious. Their eggplant, lasagna and the canneloni (superb as an appetizer do not get as entree).

The food was great. The entertainment was very very good. The ship was clean. The staff was always as friendly as ever.

They added times for food in the buffet, they added 24 hour coffee, tea. They added tea time, they added Tyler who does more american games like the regular trivia and other games.

MSC is still evolving in the USA. We have cruised this ship 4 times now. we never repeat a ship this often, but will continue each time she is back in the Caribbean for one of the few 10 night cruises that Poesia does.

There appear to be more reports of upgrades on US sailings. Unlikely you'll get an upgrade to a cabin with a balcony as only the suits have those and they are in demand.

No harm in contacting MSC or your TA to enquire, depending on who you booked with

• 2 weeks later...

we also received a surprise upgrade to a Yatch Club suite which is surprising given that we were already paying so little for the Med 11 day cruise... this is our first MSC cruise and first European cruiseline. This is my 2nd upgrade in 13 cruises. Got a balcony on Princess but since I am a Platinum member with them I figure I deserved it but this time I am just surprized... and happy!

we also received a surprise upgrade to a Yatch Club suite which is surprising given that we were already paying so little for the Med 11 day cruise... this is our first MSC cruise and first European cruiseline. This is my 2nd upgrade in 13 cruises. Got a balcony on Princess but since I am a Platinum member with them I figure I deserved it but this time I am just surprized... and happy!

Wow! That's a fantastic upgrade. Congratulations!

That is an amazing upgrade. Don't forget to give us a review after.

Well as you can see from my signature i am not complaining just stating a fact ...i booked far too early last October , payed too much as the price has dropped by £100 :( & i'm payed up as well :eek: & iv'e not got an upgrade :rolleyes:....you lucky people :D

Archived