Booking fancy hotel?

BadKitteh

DH and I are taking our honeymoon next month and cruising out of Miami. We decided on a bay view room in a hotel a bit more upscale than we normally would select. I am such a bargain hunter though that I get to the part of the booking page where I would submit it and then I stop and try telling myself we won't even be in the room for 24 hours and with it being a honeymoon, how much will we really look out the balcony? We will have a balcony room on our B2B cruises. Then I tell myself if the weather is crappy I will be mad I spent that money on a bay view room and if it is nice I will regret it.

Has anyone else dealt with this decision and what ultimately lead to your final choice?

Which hotel have you chosen? What is the difference $$ between the two rooms?

Personally since you already say you watch your spending and have chosen a hotel costing more than normal, I wouldn't spend the money for the balcony view in the hotel. Go with a city view if you are saving money. Unless you really want to get up really early to watch the ships come into port, you won't use the balcony and view much if you are out and about. Use that money saved while on the cruise for something special..a specialty dinner, wine,spa treatment, tour etc. That you will remember.

I know you will love the balcony on the cruise. Good choice!! Early morning coffee in your robes, pre and/or post dinner cocktail, resting after a long day at port..... Just enjoy the time on the ship and ports and don't worry about looking at water when you wake up in your hotel room on the boarding day. You'll have enough of that while cruising.

Congratulations!!!

DH and I didn't do a honeymoon, but we did take a cruise for our 5th anniversary that was in place of a honeymoon (what can I say, we were broke, LOL).

On that cruise, and for all subsequent cruises, we go for cheap and clean the night before. If I can save a couple of hundred bucks on the room that as you pointed out you'll only be in for a few hours, that can be a nice dent in our onboard account, or a great tour at one of the ports, or a couple of nights in the specialty restaurant. The cruise is the trip for us, that night before is just part of getting there. YMMV, of course, but that's my $.02.

Even though it's been twelve years, I remember every hotel I stayed in on my honeymoon and it would have left a bad taste in my mouth to stay in a cheap hotel (not inexpensive).

That said, you can usually hotwire or priceline or LMT a nice hotel.

Downtown The Epic and The Viceroy usually always run specials and they are easily five star hotels.

I've also found deals for The Mondrian in South Beach which is located on the back side of the island and has incredible views of Biscayne Bay.

You can always book a less expensive hotel in South Beach and then head down to Smith and Wollensky for the best views of the ships coming in and out of the government cut.

Downtown The Epic and The Viceroy usually always run specials and they are easily five star hotels.

The Epic is AAA Four Diamonds, Forbes (Mobil) doesn't even rate them.

The Viceroy isn't rated by either.

I'm not saying they aren't nice hotels, but neither is worthy of five stars or diamonds.

I'm not saying they aren't nice hotels, but neither is worthy of five stars or diamonds.

You are correct! Priceline and other sites rate them as only four stars. Nevertheless, they are all very nice hotels. Visiting family and friends have greatly enjoyed them.

Has anyone else dealt with this decision and what ultimately lead to your final choice?

DH and I recently spent more money in Vegas for a fountain view over a pool facing room at the Bellagio and it was worth every penny. The view at night was amazing.

We also used to live in downtown Chicago right on the lake. When we chose our apartment, we had the choice of a view of Lake Michigan or a view of the city. We chose the city. Why? Because we were never home during the day. A view of Lake Michigan at night is pitch black darkness. But the city lights are beautiful and I loved having our floor to ceiling windows look out over the lights every night. Ahhhh, I miss it (but I don't miss the nasty commute that I had!)

It seems like from your post saying that you will be there less than 24 hours, you will be arriving in the evening. It still gets dark very early in January. By the time you get to your room, you won't see much of anything with a bay view.

It seems like from your post saying that you will be there less than 24 hours, you will be arriving in the evening. It still gets dark very early in January. By the time you get to your room, you won't see much of anything with a bay view.

But the wake-up and breakfast view could be worth it! ;)

I would also suggest signing up with sites like Vacationist, Sniqueaway, Jetsetter and others like it. They offer different deals on various hotels in various cities, but Miami does tend to come up quite a bit. Most of the hotels are at least 4* or greater, and usually the savings are significant. Even livingsocial has their "escpaes" deals and I've seen the Mandarin Oriental offered, so you might be able to get the room you want at the price you want this way ;)

We reserved a room at the Tempo Hotel in Miami for our pre cruise. You may want to look on the internet and see what you think. They have several nice suites with balcony's. I am not sure how much you want to spend, but take a look.

keep in mind, star ratings are VERY subjective...I've been in AAA/Mobil 5* hotels and have been terribly disappointed...I've been in 3.5* hotels that could be 4 or 5 if they had the correct amenities...

(in many cases, the amenity selection moves hotels up the star chain. when i worked in a hotel, we were 3.5 AAA stars/diamonds/whatever..we would have been 4 but we did not offer 24 hour room service, which is what the reviewer told us was missing..(after the inspection stays were completed...)

sometimes, you can book a room without a view, and call the hotel, tell them it's your honeymoon..and maybe they will upgrade you, or send you something....you never know...doesn't hurt to ask.

The Biscayne Bay Marriott is pretty nice, and has many bayview rooms as well....

I stand corrected from my literal statement.

While The Viceroy or The Epic do not have the amenities that rate them five stars, they are very nice hotels in Miami and definitely in the top ten along with The Biltmore, Four Seasons, The Setai, Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne, The Aqualina and a few others.

Is that better?

Archived