HDMI input on tv?

gokinks9

If you bring a universal remote you will be able to access the inputs. We just did it on Allure and it worked like a charm.

We didn't need to do anything but program the universal remote with a Samsung code, but if you have any problems use this link and scroll to the last post.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1213647

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Babyberger

• 2 years later...
Was anyone able to confirm if you can or can't use the ports on the tv? Or if in fact the universal remote idea works or not?

I tried to use the HDMI port on the TV on Freedom a couple weeks ago. No Go.... The ability to switch input ports on the TV is disabled on both the remote and the button on the side of the TV. When I asked about it, the told me that the function was disabled due to repeated maintenance calls saying the TV did not work when the TV was set to an empty input port.

I did not bring a Universal Remote, so I can not speak to that. But, we are going on the Liberty this coming Monday and I will bring a Universal Remote and try it out.

You would think in the era of digital cameras and such, that more people would want to connect their device to their TV to review the pictures or videos of the day. Hotels certainly allow it, why not cruise ships? Make more people happy with the tradeoff of a few support calls.

We brought our Samsung remote (that's the brand of the new TVs) on Allure, having had no luck with a universal remote in the past. It worked just fine. I was scolded on another thread by a poster who had been in a cabin where the prior occupant had not set the TV back to the proper input before disembarking, so please remember to do so.:)

Edited to add: Oops. I was using a red/white/yellow connection, not HDMI:o, but if you can scroll through the input options, I think that's the key to success.

Edited by critterchick

I was scolded on another thread by a poster who had been in a cabin where the prior occupant had not set the TV back to the proper input before disembarking, so please remember to do so.:)

Edited to add: Oops. I was using a red/white/yellow connection, not HDMI:o, but if you can scroll through the input options, I think that's the key to success.

Critterchick I bet you did, as we do, switch it back.

Shame on the person that scolded you, as you weren't in the room before them. The TV is always on to the muster drill safety video on embarkation day. Also, wouldn't the steward notice that he couldn't get the muster drill channel up and running prior to the new cruiser taking over the cabin? The cabin steward would have had it corrected prior to their entering the cabin. It wouldn't be the first nor the last time that a steward would/will have this happen.

It is good to switch the TV back to its orginal settings, but not everyone is as considerate as they should be. The three cord input is the same theory as the HDMI connection. You are right, scrolling through the input options is the key to success.

I was using a red/white/yellow connection, not HDMI:o, but if you can scroll through the input options, I think that's the key to success.

Actually, it's called composite ;) (and the five cord one is called component, that's you video hookup trivia for the day:p)

Anyway, some TVs you can just scroll through the inputs as part of changing the regular channels (e.g. 98,99,Comp,HMDI,2,3,etc.) too bad they didn't choose that style.

Actually, the TV system they use there seems a little strange to me. I once thought I had a bad remote because one of the number buttons didn't work. I called tech services and they "reset" the TV controller and everything worked again.

• 7 months later...
I tried to use the HDMI port on the TV on Freedom a couple weeks ago. No Go.... The ability to switch input ports on the TV is disabled on both the remote and the button on the side of the TV. When I asked about it, the told me that the function was disabled due to repeated maintenance calls saying the TV did not work when the TV was set to an empty input port.

I did not bring a Universal Remote, so I can not speak to that. But, we are going on the Liberty this coming Monday and I will bring a Universal Remote and try it out.

Did this work for you?

• 3 weeks later...

Leaving in 9 days. Wondering if the Universal remote worked.

Also I just upgraded my cell phone to a Samsung Galaxy 5 which has a

Smart Remote App. that I have been able to use with just about any TV, DVD player. I will see if it works on the ship (RCCI Navigator of the seas).

Here are the hook ups on he back of the Samsung TV that we had on Jewel

imagejpg1_zps01c9d863.jpg

Universal remote codes that will work 3127,3128,3136,3137,3148,3156

There are around another 15 more available codes that will also work, dependant on the remote to TV signal.

We have not done recently, but used to when DD was younger to connect up her DVD player. And we always set back to normal.

Reset code for the remote we used was 0000 to get back to RC TV.

We brought our universal remote on the Voyager of the Seas on our trip from Sydney. It did work as we got reception from our laptop but we could not get rid of the info screen that sat atop. It would not go away so unless we wanted to watch through an overlaid screen it was not useful.

I have posted this before, but I know that HDMI worked on one of my cruises and I am fairly sure it would have worked on another. No remote required. Balcony room.

This past March, I was on Navigator. Didn't bring any device to use, but I believe it was set up to use HDMI. This past October, on Brilliance, I took my Playstation and it worked beautifully. Just turn to channel 3, where nothing was on, and it worked.

• 3 years later...

We just returned on Anthem of the Seas .. I brought my Samsung TV Remote from home and it worked!

It gave access to "Source", the same video input options as home tv including hdmi, screen mirroring (wireless picture and video projection from my Samsung Galaxy phone) plus got to use USB jump drive for the tvs built in music player on TV ( speakers were tinny, but nicer background music that we chose) The USB drive had options for Usb video playback too, but I didn't test that option. I think this would be great for parents with small children who like specific programs or if you want to bring a movie or two. If you can do it on your home Samsung.. you can likely do it on Anthem. Peel remote should work as well as long as it gives you a button for input or source. If tv freezes there is a power button on middle of back panel (tv swings away on hinge for in room viewing, just pull firmly onside of TV AWAY from sofa) turn power off and back on and it reboots tv to normal original tv app Hope it helps

We just did this for my sons Switch a few weeks ago on the Anthem. Very simple to do you just plug in the HDMI cable into one of the inputs and then turn the TV on with the Samsung universal remote. Choose the proper input and you should be good to go. The trick to making this work is the Samsung universal remote. They are pre programmed for Samsung TV's so no need to deal with codes.

We just returned on Anthem of the Seas .. I brought my Samsung TV Remote from home and it worked!

It gave access to "Source", the same video input options as home tv including hdmi, screen mirroring (wireless picture and video projection from my Samsung Galaxy phone) plus got to use USB jump drive for the tvs built in music player on TV ( speakers were tinny, but nicer background music that we chose) The USB drive had options for Usb video playback too, but I didn't test that option. I think this would be great for parents with small children who like specific programs or if you want to bring a movie or two. If you can do it on your home Samsung.. you can likely do it on Anthem. Peel remote should work as well as long as it gives you a button for input or source. If tv freezes there is a power button on middle of back panel (tv swings away on hinge for in room viewing, just pull firmly onside of TV AWAY from sofa) turn power off and back on and it reboots tv to normal original tv app Hope it helps

We just did this for my sons Switch a few weeks ago on the Anthem. Very simple to do you just plug in the HDMI cable into one of the inputs and then turn the TV on with the Samsung universal remote. Choose the proper input and you should be good to go. The trick to making this work is the Samsung universal remote. They are pre programmed for Samsung TV's so no need to deal with codes.

Thank you for this information.

Was thinking about bringing my tablet/pc with a few movies and shows on it for evenings when we are in the cabin. DW and I usually lay in bed at night and have these shows to partly entertain and partly put us to sleep.

Anyone have any success using a Samsung Smart Remote app rather than a physical remote? I see a number of them available in the app store, would rather download and use one of those as a one-off rather than drop money on a remote that I'll never use again.

Anyone have any success using a Samsung Smart Remote app rather than a physical remote? I see a number of them available in the app store, would rather download and use one of those as a one-off rather than drop money on a remote that I'll never use again.

I'd check at home first, we've found that several of those remote control apps need internet access to work.