Third Passenger in a Cabin

donaldsc

We are planning to take our 10 year old granddaughter on an Alaska cruise on the Diamond Princess. I want to book an outside cabin and have her sleep in the pull down bed but my wife says that there will not be enough room, the bed will be uncomfortable and she will have to climb down on top of us when she needs to get down at night.

The wife wants to book a minisuite which costs about $1500 more. We can do a lot of excursions for $1500.

I am looking for feedback who have done 3 in a cabin. Did it work? Was it crowded? If anyone has any pictures of the cabin arrangement, it would be great.

I can send my e-mail to anyone if it helps.

Thanks

DON

Well, it would be crowded, but people do it all the time. And 10y/o is the perfect age for the upper bunk. With the twins together as one bed, the ladder will come off the foot of the bunk. It will be a bit awkward for the person sleeping beneath the bunk, getting up to the bathroom...If you separate the queen into twins, and ladder comes down between the beds (or still off the foot) and the person under the bunk does not have an obstacle course to other parts of the cabin.

Mini-suites are nice, too...If you get one that is a quad, she could still sleep in the upper and leave the couch as is. EM

We have done 3 in a inside room 4 times with our then 12-16 year old son with the upper bunk coming out of the top of the room (ceiling?). The ladder is postioned at the end of the bed so he was never climbing over us. Mr.QT and I have slept in the Queen bed t3 times and twin beds once and preferred the queen bed arrangement.

I usually use the restroom at least once a night and I never once thought "UGH, I want a mini suite"

It was a little cramped at times but hardy a hardship. :eek:

For us that $1500 is often the price of the next cruise so we would be putting 3 in a room and making it work well :)

I have to agree with your wife. A mini suite will be much more comfortable for three people. The standard cabin is doable but very small for three people. The mini suite has a sitting area with a couch so that you do not have the upper bunks over the lower beds. The third/fourth person sleeps in the separate sitting area. You also have a larger bathroom with a tub/shower combo and a larger balcony. The large balcony will be really wonderful for three people. It is like a whole other room.

Are you sure it is $1500 more for a mini suite? That seems really high to me. I looked at a few dates on the Diamond in June and July and it looks like the mini suites are about $200 more person than the outside cabins. That would be about $600 more for three people. Also, if you want a mini suite you should act fast. All the dates in July and one in June are already showing mini suites are sold out. They are very popular.

If you do choose a mini suite, some of them sleep three and some sleep four. I would book one that sleeps four because you will have the choice of your granddaughter sleeping either on the sofabed or on the upper bunk that is above the sofabed (a mini suite that sleeps three only has a sofabed and no upper berth). If you use the upper bunk above the sofabed then you can get by easily to get out to your balcony. It is a tight squeeze to get out to the balcony when the sofabed is in use. Also, the upper bunk has a thicker mattress and is more comfortable than the sofabed.

Been there and done that with 4 people. 2 girls traveled with us from first cruise at 9 yo through her first year of her PhD program. It really works well and those were inside with occasional balcony. We usually put the beds in twin configuration -- personal choice. In the beginning the closet and drawers were too small but we learned to manage on 2 tiny drawers each and clothes in closet double and triple hanger (late 80's). Also can use the bathrooms that are public but in out of the way places to put on makeup and often showered in the locker room so lone male could get ready in peace. Both girls are now mothers and travel with 3 to a room (DGS had first cruise to Alaska at age 6 months 3 days:D). I would always take more cruises over the fancier room. That's why you find me on Emerald deck peeking around the lifeboat.:rolleyes:

We either cruise in a triple or a quad inside room, either with one or both kids. The upper bunks drop down from the wall and the ladder is at the end of their bunks. I have only cruised with the lower beds in the queen set up, but it works great for us. The kids really like it as they don't have the option of bunks at home. We use the room for sleeping and changing, not for hanging out. We mostly pick itineraries with lots of ports, and spend our sea days out on deck somewhere.

I would much rather have $1500 for other things. I have seen mini suites, and while larger, they aren't exactly a spacious luxury hotel room either.

We always travel with our DD, now 13 YO. Depending on length of cruise, we will choose either a mini suite, or standard balcony. As one other poster said I always be sure I get one that sleeps 4 so we don't have to use the sofa bed. When it's open, it takes up every inch of floor space.

If there is a bunk, the sleeping arrangements don't make the difference, but allowing everyone to sit down at the same time does. Having the extra space, larger bathroom, two TVs, storage space, etc. is worth it. We just booked a 16 day Asia yesterday and I booked the mini.

I would recheck price, as a mini shouldn't cost $1500 more.

Liz

We are planning to take our 10 year old granddaughter on an Alaska cruise on the Diamond Princess. I want to book an outside cabin and have her sleep in the pull down bed but my wife says that there will not be enough room, the bed will be uncomfortable and she will have to climb down on top of us when she needs to get down at night.

The wife wants to book a minisuite which costs about $1500 more. We can do a lot of excursions for $1500.

I am looking for feedback who have done 3 in a cabin. Did it work? Was it crowded? If anyone has any pictures of the cabin arrangement, it would be great.

I can send my e-mail to anyone if it helps.

Thanks

DON

Send your e-mail to lizholtzclaw at msn (dot) com

We always travel with our DD, now 13 YO. Depending on length of cruise, we will choose either a mini suite, or standard balcony. As one other poster said I always be sure I get one that sleeps 4 so we don't have to use the sofa bed. When it's open, it takes up every inch of floor space.

If there is a bunk, the sleeping arrangements don't make the difference, but allowing everyone to sit down at the same time does. Having the extra space, larger bathroom, two TVs, storage space, etc. is worth it. We just booked a 16 day Asia yesterday and I booked the mini.

I would recheck price, as a mini shouldn't cost $1500 more.

Hey Best Mom! What Asian cruise did you book. We are on the Diamond Princess Oct. 25, 2012 and we sure would welcome you on our RollCall.

Come hang even if on a different Asia -- we will talk to anybody with great happiness:)

A 10 year old will LOVE having the bunk bed -- our 10 yr old grandkids did when we took them a couple yr ago (but not on Princess)!!! All kids that age crave bunks & sleeping up top!!!

You will love having her along!!! We took a 12 yr old grandson with us on a 20 day driving trip to Alaska in an RV!!! Now his girl cousin, presently 12, wants to go to Alaska when we do that trip over next year!!!

Thanks for all the encouragement. I recently booked a cruise for myself and my two granddaughters, age 10 and 8, in an inside room with upper berths.(not Princess). They are really looking forward to the bunks since they don't have them at home. I did not want the responsibility of two kids on a balcony. On my first Princess cruise I was in an inside cabin that had two upper berths. My roommate used one of them to hang her wet laundry and storage and when down, did not really interfere with cabin movement.

I agree that $1,500 is more than I'd want to spend for a little bit of extra room for a week. The only time I've shared a cabin with two other people was with my ex and a friend. She slept on the top berth. The quarters were tight, but we were on a budget.

We booked 3 in a year with an older aunt who couldn't afford her own room. We got a cabin close to a public washroom. I found the bathroom to be more of a problem than crowding! We did it once but decided never again. It helped out my aunt so it was worth it.

Archived