Does Size Really Matter

To some extent yes, but take a look at the original Grand class Vs the enlarged Grand class - many people prefer the original as they have less passengers on a ship with the same amount of public space.

Anything around 70,000tons and over is good enough for me. Dimensions wise 240m long to 32m wide and bigger. On a ship frame that size is enough to satisfy my needs with all that can fit in.

I do not think size matters at all. I like the small ships and the large ones too. But I must say I am excited about booking the Oasis of the Seas on my next cruise.

I think the style of cruising on the ship is the important thing and it can be different every time too if you want.

I am one of the "if it floats its fine" mob too...dont really have a preference regarding size however I do take it into account depending on my itinerary but I thought some of the newer cruisers might find comments helpful regarding the differences..so for what its worth this is what I think.

Small ships (less than 1000 passengers) obviously easier to get around, you get to know your fellow passengers the service is very personal and the staff are quick to learn your name as well as what you like to drink LOL. The only drawbacks..and they are only drawbacks to some are there are less entertainment venues, no anytime dining, less restaurants, no movies on deck. The big pluses are the ships are able to navigate much smaller waterways so you can find yourself right in the middle of the action rather than being shuttled (at your cost) from miles away from the port. Often there is less tendering as the ship can dock.

Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok and Shanghai are great destinations on smaller ships.

Medium size ships...more dining choices but still may not have anytime dining...more entertainment and bars. Still easy to find your way around...usually bigger cabins and small covered balconies that shade you from the sun and wind. More balconies so they are often cheaper than on a small ship. Still able to navigate some river ports.

Large ships 2000+, lots of everything, space, modern design, large balconies, often cheaper fares. Wide range of entertainment venues and types of entertainment. Very stable in rough seas. Downside is they are often unable to dock anywhere but container ports...not very scenic...tendering and queues are common.

These are just really dot points I am sure others can fill in more information. Next year I am on a 360 passenger which is the smallest cruise ship I have been on (not counting Fiji local cruises) and in 2013 I am looking forward to the Ocean Princess which is also one of the smaller ships...and despite that I love the Diamond Princess which is huge and also liked the Volendam and Radiance of the seas which I call medium sized.

Lets hear what you think the pluses etc are.

Sue

Size only matters when you are getting on a bit ...

and its a long walk to the dining room.:D

Love this comment! I might add, also when you've just got your seat in the show lounge, and realise you've forgotten something in your cabin at the other end of the ship, or when you try to open your cabin door and remember you put your cruise card in DH's pocket at dinner time, and it should be on a lanyard round your neck. (That's how I get most of my exercise!) :eek:

Somebody said that they could never find their cabin on QM2 - because it was always over the horizon :)

Could we have BIG ships for when we are cruising across the BIG BIG ocean with the BIG BIG waves - and then changeover to smaller ships for visiting the ports?? Just brainstorming!!

Barry

With so many new ships sailing in our waters I thought it might be interesting to have a discussion about size. Does size really matter what are the differences, benefits, deficencies between the different passenger capacity of ships?

Of course it does, my therapist said I needed to go on the Diamond.

Soooo I've probably done a fair bit of local cruising the last 1-2 years and I have to size, YES! size does matter cos I'm getting bored with what's on offer :p
Sorry to go off topic but why have you cancelled your Australia Day cruise on Pacific Sun Deb? :confused:

Sorry to go off topic but why have you cancelled your Australia Day cruise on Pacific Sun Deb? :confused:

If I tell you I'll have to kill you :p

Actually, for the sake of 9 hours on the harbour on Australia Day versus the rest of the time on Pac Sun, more than likely anchored in Jervis Bay :rolleyes:, with a shipload of overly intoxicated people :eek: (I'm being polite :p) just doesn't appeal :D

Actually, for the sake of 9 hours on the harbour on Australia Day versus the rest of the time on Pac Sun, more than likely anchored in Jervis Bay :rolleyes:, with a shipload of overly intoxicated people :eek: (I'm being polite :p) just doesn't appeal :D

Yep Deb, it was a little hard to believe that you booked this one voluntarily. Still It will be fun, front row seats for those who go and they don't have to drive or catch a crowded train home after either, and ya gotta love that.:cool:

Oh Liz, I LOVE the motion of the ocean. I was sooooo disappointed when our last NZ cruise was so darn smooth you could only tell we were moving by staring at the railing for ages, and then you could see it was going up and down eeeevvver so slightly.

Having just come back from the biggest of the big- Oasis I must say that it was wonderful. I have beenn on 10 cruise ships in the last 5 years and nothing even went near the Oasis experience. I DO wish it did not just go to the Caribbean as it is not my favourite cruise venue and so in that respect the smaller ships have the edge. But the Oasis IS a destination in itself. We will be going back for sure.

Jennie

Grand Princess 2007- US East Coast

Superstar Virgo- 2008- China and Vietnam

Dawn Princess- 2008- New Zealand

Carnival Dream- 2009- Mediterranean

Costa Pacific- 2009-Mediterranean

Independence of the Seas- 2010-Mediteranean

Carnival Spirit- 2011- Alaska

Oasis of the Seas- 2011- Caribbean

Disney Magic- 2011- Caribbean

Disney Dream-2011- Caribbean

Oh Liz, I LOVE the motion of the ocean. I was sooooo disappointed when our last NZ cruise was so darn smooth you could only tell we were moving by staring at the railing for ages, and then you could see it was going up and down eeeevvver so slightly.

Sandy I also love the sway that you get on any ship but I don't enjoy the big swells. The worst cruise we have been for the big seas was on our way to NZ.

I am so hoping our next cruise in Jan will be smooth sailing!!

Sounds like most of your "chew and spew" cruises Deb:D

I'm not exactly a veteran of cruising but having been on a smaller ship (Volendam) and larger (Ruby Princess) both in past couple months, I have to say I'm now sold on the smaller ships. The service is better; the food was much better on the Volendam (also free real brewed coffee and free cappuccinos compared to terrible syrup coffee on Princess); and I liked that so many of the public spaces on the Volendam had big windows to the ocean; On the larger ships the only way to see outside is to go up to the pool/buffet restaurant deck or the sports deck. And many of the larger ships no longer have a Promenade desk with outside walking space, thanks to the ever-growing number of balconies. Cabins were larger on Volendam; lots and lots of storage plus a sofa even in inside stateroom. Awesome library - very large with huge windows and comfy chairs with foot rests. Great book selection including travel books for our itinerary. Yes, the motion of the smaller ship was more noticeable, but not bad. Also liked having less people(1440) yet seemed to be equal size dining rooms (no wait Anytime Dining) and public spaces. Maybe it was the itinerary or the cruise length, but the people on the Volendam (14 day Aus/NZ) seemed a bit more upscale than the cross-section of humanity on the Ruby Princess (7 day Caribbean). I'm not one who needs lots of entertainment (there were evening shows) and HATED the hard-sell atmosphere of the Princess ship. Holland America may be slightly more expensive but definitely worth it for a leisurely, pleasurable time.

And many of the larger ships no longer have a Promenade desk with outside walking space

Now THIS I didn't know. What ships are we talking about that have no Promenade deck - I would like to know so I can add them to my "NEVER GO ON" list.

Barry

The Volendam sounds like my kind of ship! It actually has some good bargains at times - at least for the last couple of years I have noticed a very good price for the Sydney -NZ-Sydney cruises.

I hate the way the large, modern ships have mostly balcony staterooms at the back. They have almost no back decks if any. Lazing on one of the back decks, reading or gazing out over the wake is one of the joys of sea voyages to DH and me. :)

Sandy

Know what you mean - Arcadia has balconies across the rear of the ship. We didn't like that at all. Although she does have a complete walkaround Promenade deck, so you can hang out the back and watch the wake. We did that so often - mesmerised by the wake and the water churning that we started to think that if there was a video camera in the area, they might have thought we were considering suicide!! :p (Not likely!)

I also want a ship to have an outside external access between Promenade deck and the upper outside decks (like the Sun deck) . This is more important to me that fancy Atriums etc. Going on a cruiseship is all about being at sea - I can go to a fancy 5 star hotel anywhere on land - much fancier and larger hotels than any cruiseship.

Barry

Archived