5 Days Alaska tour, is this recommended?

Sheik

Hi all,

We arrive in Anchorage on Sunday evening June 10, the cruise starts in Seward on Friday June 15. I am planning a 5 days tour before we embark the ship. We love to see bears, glaciers, whales. We are no die hard hikers and take an helicopter tour during the cruise. This being said, could you please tell me if my tour is feasible, recommended? Do you have other tips?

Monday June 11: Drive from Anchorage directly to Denali

Tuesday June 12: Tundra Wilderness tour (to see some bears hopefully)

Wednesday June 13: Drive from Denali directly to Seward

Thursday June 14: Seward --> Kenai fjords (6 hours tour)

Friday June 15: Board the ship

I am not happy with the long drive on Wednesday. I think it's a 8 hours drive (including photo stops, lunch). But I need to drive directly to Seward, otherwise I cannot make it on time for the Kenai tour.

Do you have any comments or recommendations on this proposal? Maybe a nice scenic route?

Thank you so much!!!

Hi all,

We arrive in Anchorage on Sunday evening June 10, the cruise starts in Seward on Friday June 15. I am planning a 5 days tour before we embark the ship. We love to see bears, glaciers, whales. We are no die hard hikers and take an helicopter tour during the cruise. This being said, could you please tell me if my tour is feasible, recommended? Do you have other tips?

I am not happy with the long drive on Wednesday. I think it's a 8 hours drive (including photo stops, lunch). But I need to drive directly to Seward, otherwise I cannot make it on time for the Kenai tour.

Do you have any comments or recommendations on this proposal? Maybe a nice scenic route?

Thank you so much!!!

You are short on time, and I would not recommend this itinerary. for June 12, why are you looking at the TWT???? Paying triple? I instead suggest the Eielson Shuttle bus.

Drive to Anchorage or area and overnight 6-13.

I also would never consider "wasting" an entire day for embarkment and never recommend people rush on to the cruiseship. Use this day for your Kenai Fjords boat tour. Consider the 8am tour, if intent of getting on the ship, otherwise, the 11:30am tours work out well.

With this current plan, you need to book this one way car rental early with HERTZ. There will be high drop fees, but it does make excellent use of your short time. So don't let that impact routing. :)

Thank you very much!

You are short on time, and I would not recommend this itinerary. for June 12, why are you looking at the TWT???? Paying triple? I instead suggest the Eielson Shuttle bus.

Good advice, think we will just hop on the shuttle bus!

I also would never consider "wasting" an entire day for embarkment and never recommend people rush on to the cruiseship. Use this day for your Kenai Fjords boat tour. Consider the 8am tour, if intent of getting on the ship, otherwise, the 11:30am tours work out well.

Unfortunately the 8:00 AM tour is not available on Friday 15 June, that is why I picked the day before. I think I go to Exit Glacier and visit the town before boarding the ship.

The drive from Anchorage to Denali back to Seward is pretty much the same way, is this correct?

Is this the only possible itinerary which includes Denali and the Kenai fjords or are there more variations?

It's a 364 miles drive from Denali to Seward...oops, Problem is that we are driving in dark from Anchorage to Seward and that's (I think) the most scenic drive :(

Aargh, what should we do to hopefully see wildlife (bears,eagles)? I think Denali is too far from Seward for a one day drive...and the Kenai fjords is a must do, so I don't want to miss that.

Hi all,

Thank you so much!!!

Maybe you should look at a fly in bear excursion from Anchorage? That would get you to the bears without the drive to Denali (and only a chance to see them). It would be a shame to drive all that way and not have a few days to spend exploring the Park.

Then when you're done in Anchorage you can head to Seward and spend more time there too....

It's a 364 miles drive from Denali to Seward...oops, Problem is that we are driving in dark from Anchorage to Seward and that's (I think) the most scenic drive :(

We will be in Alaska at the same time and I "think" that it will be daylight until something like 11PM that time of year, so you might not be driving in the dark after all!

We are doing a cruisetour just because for once I'm leaving the planning to someone else (the cruise line). Good for you to do it yourself. I hope you have an awesome trip!:D

LEtue, I think I agree with you. Maybe it's wise to drive to Homer, take a tour to Hallo bay and drive back to Seward. I want to see the REAL Alaska, and there is more than Denali...is this a better idea? :)

I am with Budget Queen on this one. Poor use of your time with the TWT and with Seward. What I would do is:

Tuesday June 12: Shuttle bus to Eielson (actually I would book to Wonder Lake. If the Mountain is visible, go to Wonder Lake. If not, get off at Eielson)

Wednesday June 13: Drive from Denali to Eagle River or Girdwood

Thursday June 14: finish drive to Seward with many stops along the way

Friday June 15 Seward --> Kenai fjords (6 hours tour) at 11.30am, back at 5.30pm, Board the ship

>>I am not happy with the long drive on Wednesday. I think it's a 8 hours drive (including photo stops, lunch). But I need to drive directly to Seward, otherwise I cannot make it on time for the Kenai tour.

Actually, it is probably 8 hours without photo stops or lunch. You have to figure up to 12 hours or more for the drive from Denali to Seward. Road construction can stop you for 20-60 minutes, accidents, slow RV's, photo stops, lunch and more. Once there was a mudslide that closed the road for a while. Just not a way to enjoy a trip!

Your ship doesn't leave until 9pm so absolutely no reason to push it getting to Seward.

You can visit Exit Glacier on June 14 on your way into town and visit the Sealife Center before the KF cruise on June 15.

T

Unfortunately the 8:00 AM tour is not available on Friday 15 June, that is why I picked the day before. I think I go to Exit Glacier and visit the town before boarding the ship.

The drive from Anchorage to Denali back to Seward is pretty much the same way, is this correct?

Is this the only possible itinerary which includes Denali and the Kenai fjords or are there more variations?

Then do the 11:30am trip your day of embarkment. As already mentioned, you are wasting time you don't have. This tour works out very well, if you choose to take advantage of it??? Otherwise, add time to your touring.

There is only one road, Denali Park to Seward. I NEVER recommend this be tightly timed, and suggest allowing at least 9 hours.

We are doing a cruisetour just because for once I'm leaving the planning to someone else (the cruise line). Good for you to do it yourself. I hope you have an awesome trip!:D

No matter how you go interior Alaska touring, I only recommend, doing your homework and knowing exactly all the details of any interior Alaska touring. It is very common that people have the wrong assumptions with cruisetours. Never assume that "leaving the planning" to a cruisetour will get you a good tour- there are a LOT of very poor cruisetour itineraries with Princess.

LEtue, I think I agree with you. Maybe it's wise to drive to Homer, take a tour to Hallo bay and drive back to Seward. I want to see the REAL Alaska, and there is more than Denali...is this a better idea? :)

Homer needs at least 2 full days if you are planning any fly in bear tours. BUT, first thing you need to do, is to be certain you are PEAK viewing season, before you go any further.

Bears are just about a given for seeing in Denali park, but my Eielson trip this year had NO bears seen. I did see a few the following week to Wonder Lake. First time that had happened in around 20 Denali trips for me.

Bears are just about a given for seeing in Denali park, but my Eielson trip this year had NO bears seen. I did see a few the following week to Wonder Lake. First time that had happened in around 20 Denali trips for me.

So there is wildlife between Eielson and Wonder Lake after all :D

Maybe but as Budget Queen mentioned check with the local operators and make sure you are going at the right time. Also, plan to spend 2 days there but it looks like you have the time.

Here is a link to Rust's out of Anchorage in case that works better.

http://www.flyrusts.com/

I appreciate your valuable advice very much!!

We will not book a bear watch tour by plane, the cost is too high for some people. Unfortunately the ship departs at 8:00 PM, not 9:00 PM, this is too tricky because we need to be on time for the muster drill etc...

So, now we are not making it to Denali, what else can you recommend? Alyeska? I want to show my parents the beauty of Alaska. Wildlife and scenery that fits into my itinerary of 5 days. I have seen the Canadian Rockies, bears, whales, but my parents haven't...

I appreciate your help very much, because I feel like I am stuck now :(

I appreciate your valuable advice very much!!

We will not book a bear watch tour by plane, the cost is too high for some people. Unfortunately the ship departs at 8:00 PM, not 9:00 PM, this is too tricky because we need to be on time for the muster drill etc...

So, now we are not making it to Denali, what else can you recommend? Alyeska? I want to show my parents the beauty of Alaska. Wildlife and scenery that fits into my itinerary of 5 days. I have seen the Canadian Rockies, bears, whales, but my parents haven't...

I appreciate your help very much, because I feel like I am stuck now :(

Why aren't you considering Denali?? It is doable, if you want to plan going there. Also it is doable a Kenai Fjords boat tour your embarkment day. Drop off your bags in the morning, then go direct from the boat tour.

What time do I need to check in on the ship then (8:00 PM departure)

You can check in for the ship before the 11.30am Kenai Fjords tour. Or you could check in after the tour if you want. Either works fine. But you can get rid of your luggage before the tour.

Also, if you do the Kenai Fjords tour on the day of the ship's departure, you can get rid of the car a day early (on June 14). Just take a $5 taxi from your lodging to the ship, drop off your luggage, then walk to the tour company's office (1/2 mile or so).

That's a good suggestion. Because of the driving distances, I was looking for options in the Anchorage/Seward area. For instance, a Prince William Sound tour from Whittier seems to be very beautiful.

If we don't go to Denali, are there any other interesting places/tours to go to, f.i. Talkeetna or more to the south?

That's a good suggestion. Because of the driving distances, I was looking for options in the Anchorage/Seward area. For instance, a Prince William Sound tour from Whittier seems to be very beautiful.

If we don't go to Denali, are there any other interesting places/tours to go to, f.i. Talkeetna or more to the south?

I really suggest you get more of an idea what is available in interior Alaska. Fodor's Alaska, Frommer's Alaska, online visitor guides etc etc are necessary for you at this point. There is plenty to see and do ALL over Alaska. Just depends what is of interest to you???

Overall, Denali Park is a highlight of Alaska. As I have already mentioned, it is VERY doable for you to include this. I would not replace "Talkeetna" with Denali. For me, it's a tranist stop and enough time for a flight. I don't park myself there, taking up extended time.

The Kenai Peninsula is also a very full touring opportunity, again depends WHAT you want to fill your time with?? For me, Homer is a 2 night stop, nothing shorter. http://www.kenaipeninsula.com also visitor guides for many of the other areas.

Back yourself up, at this point, and get more information about the areas, activities, distances, time. THEN go back to filling up your short time.

I have done a fly in bear tour with Smoky Bay Air to Lake Clark National Park in June. We saw lots of bears up close. They were eating sedges in the meadows as it was too early for salmon. It was a half day trip. Homer is beautiful. I agree with BQ that it deserves 2 days. Remember that any flying excursion is dependent on weather (wind, rain, fog, clouds). It took us three tries over five days to do a Denali summit flight

Originally Posted by VegasCrossfire viewpost.gif

No matter how you go interior Alaska touring, I only recommend, doing your homework and knowing exactly all the details of any interior Alaska touring. It is very common that people have the wrong assumptions with cruisetours. Never assume that "leaving the planning" to a cruisetour will get you a good tour- there are a LOT of very poor cruisetour itineraries with Princess.

ACK!! I looked at several cruisetours and found one that I thought would "cover most of the bases". I hope I was right. It is through Celebrity and it is for 6 days before the cruise. My travel agent told me it would sell out quickly when I booked it last May and it did disappear off Celebrity's website very soon after that so hopefully that is a good sign! ?

Archived