The New Crew

JimandStan

1-oceania-riviera.jpg

Oceania is in the preliminary stages of assembling the crew for the now building Riviera. Exciting stuff.

When the Marina came out, she got the cream of the cream of the crop, from new-ish but upcoming Concierge Keith Hill, to Cruise Director extraordinaire Leslie Jon.

6a0120a92e343a970b0148c86cf529970c-800wi

They also put best ever Head Bartender Antonio Fernandes in charge of Martini's where mega-talented Jerry Blaine sparkled at the piano each evening.

103526.jpg

Antonio, in particular, elevates each venue that he operates. He has the style and polish that Oceania wants the Riviera to have. He is also the most loyal Oceania employee that I, personally, have ever met.

Although the Nautica is lucky enough to have him right now, I know of many Oceania regulars who would love to see him on the new ship. Having Antonio behind the bar was THE highlight of our last Marina cruise. :D

As Oceania grows, these small stamps of familiarity (such as an old-friend at the piano or behind the bar) help to keep the feeling of intimacy.

Several of the regular crew we know & love to see have mentioned they do not like the larger ship & will go back to the R-ships

One went so far as to say if they did not get their next contract on the R-ships they will not return to Oceania

I wonder how many others will leave Oceania for that reason :confused:

I know they choose to work on a cruise ship but many of them looked tired & worn out on our Marina cruise in March

Lyn

Several of the regular crew we know & love to see have mentioned they do not like the larger ship & will go back to the R-ships

One went so far as to say if they did not get their next contract on the R-ships they will not return to Oceania

I know they choose to work on a cruise ship but many of them looked tired & worn out on our Marina cruise in March

Lyn

Our wonderful butler on Regatta last spring said that if they forced him to

work on one of the new ships he would leave at the end of his contract.

He was so good he could get a job with any of the 6* lines easily. Oceania

may want to consider this before moving the crew members that "love" the R ships as many of us do.

Lyn

Lyn,

That was our impression as well. I suspect Leslie will do it as he has done so for just about every new ship for Oceania - I suspect he considers it an honor (which it is, for him).

As for the others, it depends on how much choice they are given or how many other choices they have for employment elsewhere.

This is not a good sign - even though many passengers prefer the new ships, it would appear that most of the crew prefer the R ships. Thus, they would work on the Riviera "against their wishes", if you will; not good for morale.

Oceania I am sure will have no problem getting crew for the newer ships but will they be the same caliber we have come to expect or will they come from some of the mass market lines with different ways of doing things

we had a waiter on one cruise he was outgoing fun he was from one of the other cruises lines that were not into quality service I noticed by the end of our B2B he was more subdued in his behavior ;)

He was so good he could get a job with any of the 6* lines easily. Oceania

may want to consider this before moving the crew members that "love" the R ships as many of us do.

While I don't doubt that the Butler in question made that statement, it can't have been an informed decision.

For one thing. the amenities and accommodations offered to the crew on the Marina Class are much improved over the "designed 18 years ago" R Ships.

Crew Members on the larger ships will also find that they have more time off (particularly at Sea), because they are part of a larger pool of workers. Simply put, they can cover for each other more efficiently.

While I don't doubt that the Butler in question made that statement, it can't have been an informed decision.

For one thing. the amenities and accommodations offered to the crew on the Marina Class are much improved over the "designed 18 years ago" R Ships.

Crew Members on the larger ships will also find that they have more time off (particularly at Sea), because they are part of a larger pool of workers. Simply put, they can cover for each other more efficiently.

J&S,

All that may be true, but all I can say is that I have heard (from the staff members I remembered and who remembered us from prior cruises) that they couldn't wait to get back to the R ships.

They must have their own reasons.

J&S,

All that may be true, but all I can say is that I have heard (from the staff members I remembered and who remembered us from prior cruises) that they couldn't wait to get back to the R ships.

They must have their own reasons.

The crew we spoke to on the Marina also preferred the R ships. There must be something to it.

I wonder how many others will leave Oceania for that reason

He was so good he could get a job with any of the 6* lines easily.

It is so surprising to hear such loyal passengers with such negative sentiments towards the large newbuilds!

We were told by our butler that the butlers on Marina and I would imagine Riveria were going to be from India, as they will work for less money. Sure enough butlers on Marina were indeed Indian. Still wonderful service, but point made.

We were told by our butler that the butlers on Marina and I would imagine Riveria were going to be from India, as they will work for less money. Sure enough butlers on Marina were indeed Indian. Still wonderful service, but point made.

FWIW

In fact, the VERY BEST of all time on any line we have ever encountered was a wonderful fellow from India on Silversea in the dining room - nobody has come even close to his level of service - a perfect blend intelligence, humor and respect; always smiling and happy.

He knew all of our food preferences by the second day and remembered them some 9 months later.

The butler we had on board the Silver Spirit last December was from India, and he was still being trained on the job.

I find it strange to think that a 1 200 passenger ship is too large. I thought that the 1 200 passenger ship on which I was (HAL) had the right size. My own experience is between 12 and 2 400 passengers, but the enjoyment had more to do with the itinerary and the people at dinner than with the overall number of passengers.

Comfort is more about the passenger-crew ratio and whether the size of the public areas is appropriate for the number of passengers.

• 2 weeks later...

Lyn

Happy Holidays Lyn -- maybe we'll see you in 2012??

Just got the unfortunate news that Antonio is not going to be with the Riviera for her Inaugural Sailings.....

This would have been our sixth consecutive sailing with him behind the bar, and his suave attention to detail will be missed. Martini's, both the cocktail and the venue, certainly won't be as polished.

I hate to say it, but this makes me think that the Riviera just isn't being introduced with the same eclat as the Marina.

3-oceania-riviera.jpg

Archived