Newbuild Nbr 29 "little" Voyager of the seas

Wauw, thank you so much for your reactions!! Did not expect that.

I hope it will be fun to watch the progress.

My job is hectic and I travel a lot. It s fun and very relaxing to build such a model over time. When my flight is late, sitting in that airport, I can sit and think not about work for once, but how will I make this or that should I paint that part now, where should I install that?

The Oasis is very impressive. When I saw it first I would never build that. Too big, makes details too small, too many cabins to make...

This spring my wife and I made a cruise with the Vision of the Seas in the Norwegian Fjords (beautiful cruise btw) I have been looking at a big picture of the Oasis, and of course I start thinking how I coud make that model. I think I'll have to see it for real to do so. Maybe.

I hope the model Voyager will be ready by x-mas next year so I have some time.

RCI uses professional builders for their models. I know who makes those. I only do this as a hobby, there is no commercial interest. I did clean out my complete model yard this year. Way too many models. The model Enchantment of the seas is no longer mine, it is now under a very beautiful glass cover in the private residence of someone working for the cruise line. I think it is the best place she could go. It was time for it to go, as it took so much space, but to my own surprise I had the tears in my eyes after I delivered the model. These models take so much space, and the Voyager will be my new toy anyway.

Got some days off during the x-mas holidays, and I plan to have the front part below the brige ready soon. Pictures will follow.

Oh, and one more question, if some one has detailed pictures of the rear balconies,... I can use those!!!

Have nice holidays everyone!!

John

Wauw, thank you so much for your reactions!! Did not expect that.

I hope it will be fun to watch the progress.

My job is hectic and I travel a lot. It s fun and very relaxing to build such a model over time. When my flight is late, sitting in that airport, I can sit and think not about work for once, but how will I make this or that should I paint that part now, where should I install that?

The Oasis is very impressive. When I saw it first I would never build that. Too big, makes details too small, too many cabins to make...

This spring my wife and I made a cruise with the Vision of the Seas in the Norwegian Fjords (beautiful cruise btw) I have been looking at a big picture of the Oasis, and of course I start thinking how I coud make that model. I think I'll have to see it for real to do so. Maybe.

I hope the model Voyager will be ready by x-mas next year so I have some time.

RCI uses professional builders for their models. I know who makes those. I only do this as a hobby, there is no commercial interest. I did clean out my complete model yard this year. Way too many models. The model Enchantment of the seas is no longer mine, it is now under a very beautiful glass cover in the private residence of someone working for the cruise line. I think it is the best place she could go. It was time for it to go, as it took so much space, but to my own surprise I had the tears in my eyes after I delivered the model. These models take so much space, and the Voyager will be my new toy anyway.

Got some days off during the x-mas holidays, and I plan to have the front part below the brige ready soon. Pictures will follow.

Oh, and one more question, if some one has detailed pictures of the rear balconies,... I can use those!!!

Have nice holidays everyone!!

John

It's so great that you are so dedicated to your work and that you were able to give it to someone who works for the cruise line. I'm sure they are very happy with your model and will keep great care of it! You'll build many more I'm sure! :)

Great thanks for the pictures. Already some pictures of the stern I can use. I have seen grey decks (probably the Voyager) and some blue decks (Navigator or Mariner?) My ideal picture would be taken from another ship high up directly down to the stern of the Voyager. I found some but not clear enough for the detailing. On my last cruise on the voyager (summer 2010) I was finally able to take that picture down from the Windjammer café.... what a letdown, you cannot see anything. But the internet sure did give some solutions.

It has been a very long time since I did this. I have spend nearly the whole weekend working on the Voyager. I made those front cabins under the bridge. It is like the nose of the ship. It looks easy but difficut to build. All in different angles. but it is nearly ready. I need to do the finishing tough and add some filler here and there, and I have to trim the lower edge of his 'nose' . The Voyager also has this protected crew area up fron below those front cabins. I still have to make that. those are details for later.

DSCN6313.jpg

DSCN6324.jpg

As you can see far from ready. But the typical Voyager looks come more and more recognizeable.

This is the stern. Kinda makes me think of the Oasis :D When the rear balconies are added, it will look totally different.

Here is a close up of the bowthrusters. Nr. 3 is the only one working. The bolt shows it. I'll show pictures of the interior of the hull later, but is quite a mechanical set up to transfer the electical motor to the bow thruster. I will later have to add the electronic speed controller for the bow thruster

DSCN6315.jpg

Lots of dust from the sanding in there. It will remain covered in dust until she's ready. Then I will need probably 2 days to clean the dust off.

Also thanks for offerering pictures during the x-mas cruise. I have been thinking what I am missing.. I got quite a few already.

John

Great job on the models. They look fantastic. Happy Holliday and New Year as well.

I really like your Disney model. That would look perfect if Disney would go with a smaller ship.

I do have pics of the Voyager if you need them that I took in April. If you would like them e-mail me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello y'all.

First of all a very happy newyear. I guess a formum like this I ought to say many happy cruising miles. We did 2 cruises last year, nothing planned ahead so far for us. Busy year, I hope next year.

As I had some time between x-mas and new year, I spent some time in my model shipyard. It is such a great way to unwind. A big cup of coffee and some nice background music and I can work for 2 hours making a small detail.

But I have been working on the stern in the past week. The reason is that I need to work on the bidge. The brige on the real ship is actually 2 feet lower than the deck you're standing on. There are numerous ducs and pipes between those decks. So I need to raise the deck by 5 metric mm. And I can not do this until the rear is done. you can see the large space between the decks, could even be more that 2 feet in the real thing.

DSCN6326.jpg

Picture191.jpg

It needs a lot of finetuning, and its "cheaks" are still to be added. The vertical profiles are not glued in yet. I use lasers to make sure they are 100% upright and in exact distance of one another. I now used some tape to temporarily put them in place.

DSCN6335.jpg

Here is a peek below the water line. You can see both shafts with the propellors. (dust covered, from contiuous sanding)They are in final position, but I hope to replace them someday by azipods. the fixed stabilizer at the end. The slim black line in front of the port shaft is the intake of the stern thruster. This model is quite large, and to maouver it in the water I need some sideward thrust. As I have no functioning aziods, I had to add this. The model can actually move sideways or make a "pirouette" in the water. They work great.

Here in Belgium, the temperatures are very mild, and lots of rain. We should have frost during the night. Normally by March - April the ice is gone and I can take models up to the lake.

I plan to do a first trial by mid March. I do not know if the model is watertight just yet. So I will take the model to the lake soon to see if there is any water comming is, and to position the batteries. I make their position in the hull and then I need to fabricate something to hold thebatteries in place, even in case of a collosion. I have seen model boats go under after a battery has shifted. I do not want to see this happening to "my voyager of the Seas"

John

Edited by modelbuilder