Newbuild Nbr 29 "little" Voyager of the seas

• 1 month later...

Windows are nearly finished. Some paints here and there and I can move up one more deck. All the fine details are to come when all the structural things are done.The upper deck which is now white is not glued in yet.

IMG_3559_zps493e7040.jpg

IMG_3562_zpsab00fbb9.jpg

IMG_3563_zps1b088487.jpg

Those stairs are not final yet, needs some bending and some wood before finally installed. I try to avoid too many details as they might get damaged when further building the model. But I have most of them ready. The lion at the front pool... I have visited over 6 or 7 stores for model trains to finally find this one. The ship has some smaller statues at the front pool, I still cannot find those.. but I will not give it up.

Jan

Edited by modelbuilder

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the lifeboats should be yellow, not orange.

Yes I know they are, and thank you for noticing. I was on a cruise on the Adventure of the seas, where they were (then anyway) more orange / red like the other ships. I assumed they were the same. I've spent hours painting them and marking details when I made that discovery. I did not have the strength to remove them and start over. Immagine my reaction when I find out :mad:

Very likely I will do this again after the model is finished in those long winter evenings.

May 19 I will participate in the Canal run near Brussels. It is piece of Canal of 3Km long where no ships are allowed on Sundays. It is a chalenge to cover that distance, as most model boats can hardly run for an hour after their batteries ran out. I run on a sort of car battery (2 actually) so I can run for 2 days if I want to, only the transmitter can go for 5 hours.

I cannot put the model in the water from one side, so I go early and do the 3KM to meet the rest and then come back. (I walk along side the model on the service road)

In my first trial the fuse kept popping. Now I installed 2 extra electronic speedcontrollers and nog runs veryyyy perfect!!

IMG_3577_zpsb8014108.jpg

Small micro camera on to of the elevator shaft.

IMG_3583_zps931df22b.jpg

Little Splendour on the background

Here are some pictures.

jan

Edited by modelbuilder

Yes I know they are, and thank you for noticing. I was on a cruise on the Adventure of the seas, where they were (then anyway) more orange / red like the other ships. I assumed they were the same. I've spent hours painting them and marking details when I made that discovery. I did not have the strength to remove them and start over. Immagine my reaction when I find out :mad:

Very likely I will do this again after the model is finished in those long winter evenings.

May 19 I will participate in the Canal run near Brussels. It is piece of Canal of 3Km long where no ships are allowed on Sundays. It is a chalenge to cover that distance, as most model boats can hardly run for an hour after their batteries ran out. I run on a sort of car battery (2 actually) so I can run for 2 days if I want to, only the transmitter can go for 5 hours.

I cannot put the model in the water from one side, so I go early and do the 3KM to meet the rest and then come back. (I walk along side the model on the service road)

In my first trial the fuse kept popping. Now I installed 2 extra electronic speedcontrollers and nog runs veryyyy perfect!!

IMG_3577_zpsb8014108.jpg

Small micro camera on to of the elevator shaft.

IMG_3583_zps931df22b.jpg

Little Splendour on the background

Here are some pictures.

jan

Wow! Love seeing it in the water! And Splendour too :)

• 3 weeks later...

I had to make some serious modicications for her stability, and that is all over now. All electrical and mechnical things are done with the exception of some LED's here and there. I can now focus on the building of the model.

Last weekend I participated to a 5.5Km long trip on a canal that allows no traffic on sundays. I walked along with in on the shore and it was a lot of fun. She handles great, but it leans over quite a bit in turns.

Little Splendour was also in thius journey. Along with some tests it has been in the water for nearly 4 hours, and batteries all went perfect. The electric motors got pretty hot, I might have to install a water cooling system later on. Increadible the reactions I got from other modellers and people walking by.

IMG_3751_zps3280a625.jpg

IMG_3755_zps1d4092d7.jpg

there are no details on the model yet, so she looks a little basic, but all that will improve very soon.

John

I had a small camera installed in the windjammer café, looking back. So great to see this. I will try to put this on utube.

The top decks are now glues in, I can nos start building teh upper shipshape center, viking crown...

Absolutely beautiful model.

By the way, I remember watching the "Building the Megaships" DVD, and Royal also had problems with excessive lean during turns. I think they put some sort of vertical stabilizer on the aft end.

Wow, you're very good. Indeed they did this and the immages show a more stable turn. I have this fin too, but likely in proportion my balance is not as good, and than I am not completely finished yet so more weight to come.

I do have contacts with the naval architects of Royal Caribbean, and this fin has been removed a few years ago. The reason was that this fin created vibrations, and the only way to get rid of it was to remove the fin.

But the wind is pretty bad, it almost sails because of the surface. Makes you wonder, my surface below water is larger than the real one, so what should this effect be on the real voyager? My bow and stern thruster were not powerful enough to push her back into the wind.

john

Wow, you're very good. Indeed they did this and the immages show a more stable turn. I have this fin too, but likely in proportion my balance is not as good, and than I am not completely finished yet so more weight to come.

I do have contacts with the naval architects of Royal Caribbean, and this fin has been removed a few years ago. The reason was that this fin created vibrations, and the only way to get rid of it was to remove the fin.

But the wind is pretty bad, it almost sails because of the surface. Makes you wonder, my surface below water is larger than the real one, so what should this effect be on the real voyager? My bow and stern thruster were not powerful enough to push her back into the wind.

john

That's interesting, I didn't realize that Royal had removed the aft fin. I wonder if they use some other method to minimize the lean during a turn? Maybe the active stabilizer fins are enough?

I do know that wind on the full sized ship is a big deal when leaving or arriving at a port. One time we were on Monarch trying to dock in Nassau and the thrusters were not powerful enough to push her against the wind. They called out tugs to come alongside and push Monarch into the pier. I suspect this is much less of a problem with azipod ships like Voyager.

Edited by clarea

• 3 weeks later...

Now it is realy fun to continue working on the model, because she gets into the final- and more recognizeable parts. No details yet, but they will come when I have finished the rough shapes of the Viking crown etc.

I have made the skybar, but the detailing and painting still has to be done, and the shipshape centre in front. Again no details on it yet, but I make the mast with the radars also at the end. When all those details appear it will become very nice.

SAM_0364_zpse4636eb4.jpg

The glass roof over the peek-a-boo bridge is there and the overall lines of the shipshape become recognizeable.

SAM_0365_zpsa1907246.jpg

View from above. The big triangle window comes in after all the sanding is done.

SAM_0366_zpsc7fd2ad6.jpg

This is sort of the view from the Viking crown that is not there yet. But the skybar is better visible. The jogging track was not as easy to make as it seems. But is is all painted no cheap tape that comes off.

The artwork deckchairs, railings, lights,... will come soon bringing the pool are a bit more to life.

I have been working with the cabin part of the ship, so I can sit down while working on the model.

I think the model will be finished somewhere between the fall and x-mas.

And big news... I have booked a cruise on the Oasis of the seas in Europe september 2014. Long time to go but I will have a big good look at this ship and see if I have the courage to build it. :D

Is I know myself, I will take hundreds of detail pictures. Funny ho wother passengers look at me me that I take pictures of a crane and so on.

John

jan

Too bad I only saw this now.

I would definitely have come to see this in action.

Please do post here when you take it to such an event again.

I love model ships, and this is an absolute piece of art.

John, I so appreciate all that you are doing to make this model so life like. I have subscribed to your thread about a year ago, and it's amazing to watch your skills in action.;)

Thanks for keeping us so well informed. Will look fondly at where you are at by the end of the year.

Rick

WOW!

All I can say is WOW!!! Your work is amazing and the fact that it is a working model as well makes it twice as amazing.

Continue the wonderful work sir and please keep all of us updated.