Newbuild Nbr 29 "little" Voyager of the seas

Picture340.jpg

Here you can see the rear cabins. Lots of details to follow like railings, painting, etc. Here can also see the deck smoothly blends in, which is difficult to do and make sure the deck is straight. the 2 white things sticking up are anchored below to later be able to lift the cabin section of to access the electrical compartment, batteries,... The front also had this meanwhile. You will not see those later. I will be attaching that in the viking crown and the rear mast so nothing damages when I want to loft all of that off.

John

Just a small detail here, I stayed in a aft balcony cabin on the corner in 2009 (cabin 7388) and it actually had a porthole on the balcony facing the side of the ship. I'm pretty sure that was the case for the aft corner balconies on deck 6 as well.

Can't see any on your model and from reading your thread you seem to be very dedicated to getting the details correct so just wanted to bring it up in case you have somehow overlooked it :)

Edited by ds99jove

Oh my John, I do enjoy looking at these models! Such detail!

One day I hope RCL will do a little exhibition of your work either on board or in the home offices!

I have to agree with DS99jove; we recently booked a cabin on Adventure ( sister ship) and some of the aft balconies on the end do have a port hole. We've not sailed yet, but checked many photos of " our " cabin and they all show a port hole for 7688 and 7388.

Edited by Familygoboston

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all. Glad you like it.

I have been moving along, because I'm axious to get started with the pooldeck.

Meanwhile the bridge is nearly finished, and the ship has got his name on the bow and stern. Also some colored lines have appeared just like the real thing.

Picture553.jpg

A lot of details have to come but I will add those at the end. I've learned with preious models they tend to get damaged while building the ship. The bridge for example needs some trimming and sanding, and final coat of paint, + the mast, lights, antennae, the frame under the windows for the cleaners... They will truely be the finishing touch.

Picture551.jpg

Wonder what my workplace looks like? It is next to my garage. When I built my house this room was built just for making my models. I keep it very clean making it very comfortable to work in.. Picture550.jpg

On November 4th, I will be participating a special modellers occasion. On a sunday there will be a modellers event on a canal where there is no traffic on a sunday and lots of trees to block the wind. The challenge is to make a 2 mile trip with the same battery. Most models are small, so my unfinished model can take this with ease. But before I participate to this chanllenge I will need to do a good trial on the water. So I will have to focus on the electronics now.

Time to test.

I put her in the hot tub (she just fits) and there were 2 leaks :mad: One will be fixed easily, the other will be more difficult. This one is under the electronics board and is probably the rear side thruster. .

It took hours to position the batteries correctly. She's a bit heavy on her stern becasue of the heavy electric motors, but the electric motors and the electronics in the bow are still missing, so this will counter-act. Still some weight to come on top of what you can see now. But she's fairly unstable despite my efforts to keep everything light weight. I added weight to simulate the weight of what's to come and when I give her a push, I do not like how she whobbles. I decided not to change anything yet, and to a trial on the water first. I need to build firm compatiments to secure the batteries, in about 2 weeks, I'll do a test.

A ship becomes more stable when it is in forward motion and an engineer from Marin in Holand (involved in the real model testing) told me that a ship is more unstable in shallow water than in deep water. We'll see.

Picture559.jpg

The duck tail is still nicely above the waterline, I hoped this would be so.

John

• 1 month later...

About one week to go before the "ralley" on a canal between Antwerp and Brussels. My brother will join me with the Splendour of the Seas.

To make sure all will go as planned the little Voyager made its first test on the water to make sure everything works as it should be before next week. I can launch the boat on one side, but becasue of her size I can not take her out on the other side, so I will have to turn back for another 2 miles to take the model out of the water. Most other boats are much smaller than this one. Battery capacity will be no problem for sure!

So hooked up to her own power I let her go very gently. First test was reverse to make sure I can stop if necessary. I have rather small rudders resembling azipods. It became obvious the turning circle is rather big, but still smaller in proportion than the real voyager. But I have bow and stern thrusters to manouver, so no problem.

No smoke so I connected the electronics the right way. :)

Stability seems to be ok, and what pleases me most is the ducktail. when I speed up a bit more you can actually see the water does what is is supposed to do with the ducktail. Superb.

the stabilizors do catch quote some leafs unfortunately, that that problem will only arise in the fall.

Next test, emergency reverse, and she gently comes to a stop. No more movement at all. We had another model with us towing a floating rope and a boey. Going around the model, the rope will "grab" the propellors, and tow her back to shore. There is was obvious the mail battery the fuse blew. I got quite some fuses in there to protect the not that cheap electronics. But the fuses were too light, not coping with the power needed for a full thrust. and no spares.... So that was the end of this test.

One more small water leak to resolve also.

So I got another speed controller, becasue one for both motors is not good enough, the motors are quite powerfull. So this evening I will hook up 2 identical speed controllers, and new fused, rewire and add some more fuses and I should be good for next week.

Picture743.jpg

Picture740.jpg

I agree. Very Awesome! It's great to see it in the water :)

I'm not sure what the data service is like in Belgium. On my iPhone, I can upload directly to You Tube from a video taken on the phone, so I don't need to transfer it to my PC if I don't want to. Maybe that is an option for you? You do have to set up a You Tube account and log in to it from your phone first before uploading the video.

Again...Fantastic Work! This is obviously a labor of love.

I am not that good in computer stuff. I have no U-tube account either. But as an example, when I put the model in my jacuzzi I filmed its stability. I will see, maybe I know someone who can put this on utube for me.

Weather forecast is not that good for sunday. Because the model is so high above the water (like the real thing) it is very sensitive to wind, and when it rains I will not go. But all batteries are charged and I want to give it a try so iof sunday weather is not good I will go on my own soon and make that recording.

John

I did not participate to the rally to cover the 2x3KM on the canal due to weather. There was quite some rain in the forcast and it was windy. During the first test, a lot of leafs were in the water getting stuck on the propellers and the stabilizers.

Besides, I am at this time installing 2 brand new electronic speed controllers, that will be able to cope with the high performance electric motors a little better. I hope to take it to the lake again for a good long testing very soon. I will make some video, I will try to figure out later how to get it on this site.

Regards,

John

• 3 weeks later...

A new trial will follow very soon. So I had to fix quite some electronics. Each motor now has its own digital speed controller and I have added more fuses. It was ready hard to adjust them so both motors would have the same RPM. But I fixed it!!!!

The rear bow thruster is now also hooked up.

I have also secured the battery compatiments so in case of a colision the batteries cannot shift and cause the model from tipping over as these batteries are each 1/2 in size and weight of a car battery so very heavy.

Last weekend something bad happened. I wanted to do another electric test, and I removed the rear cabins part (everything above the promenade deck) and I carrying it away ... it fell out of my hands, and fell hard on the stone floor!! :mad::mad:

I was shocked and left the room immediately leaving it as it was. It took me 30 mins before I could go back and see how bad the damage is. But I seemed to be lucky. The wole thing is made in a construction, very strong. It landed on the rear part absorbing the impact. The damage was far less then I feared. It took me about 3 hours to repair the most, it only needs some minor touch-up and repaint of the rear lower deck at rear, so I'm lucky it is not worse than that.

But I did continue to work on the model a bit further. the fitness room above the bridge and the "peek-a-boo-bridge" is now in full construction and will be ready in a week. Pictures follow soon.

It is a bit story the last days, but in the weekend of December 1st, I'm hoping to do another test and make some video.

John

Superb work.The amount of time and dedication to built the model ships are unreal. You must have a very understanding partner :p

My dads old friend use to make models of the old tugs and pilot cutters on The River Clyde in Scotland. My dad works on the pilot cutters to this day and I loved those models.

A new trial will follow very soon. So I had to fix quite some electronics. Each motor now has its own digital speed controller and I have added more fuses. It was ready hard to adjust them so both motors would have the same RPM. But I fixed it!!!!

The rear bow thruster is now also hooked up.

I have also secured the battery compatiments so in case of a colision the batteries cannot shift and cause the model from tipping over as these batteries are each 1/2 in size and weight of a car battery so very heavy.

Last weekend something bad happened. I wanted to do another electric test, and I removed the rear cabins part (everything above the promenade deck) and I carrying it away ... it fell out of my hands, and fell hard on the stone floor!! :mad::mad:

I was shocked and left the room immediately leaving it as it was. It took me 30 mins before I could go back and see how bad the damage is. But I seemed to be lucky. The wole thing is made in a construction, very strong. It landed on the rear part absorbing the impact. The damage was far less then I feared. It took me about 3 hours to repair the most, it only needs some minor touch-up and repaint of the rear lower deck at rear, so I'm lucky it is not worse than that.

But I did continue to work on the model a bit further. the fitness room above the bridge and the "peek-a-boo-bridge" is now in full construction and will be ready in a week. Pictures follow soon.

It is a bit story the last days, but in the weekend of December 1st, I'm hoping to do another test and make some video.

John

I am glad to hear that the drop was not a disaster.

I love seeing your progress with your ship and look forward to seeing more updates.

Andrew