any info about Almaplena Beach Resort?

chilimixx

We looked closely at all of the resorts. This one seems to need time to work out relationships with agents. I get concerned when too many "Martinas" come into the discussion.

I like the idea of clear water, but after looking at every picture we could find, there is very little shade; I contacted them and I was told I could go into the restaurant for shade:confused: There is also a steep drop off on the beach from erosion. We chose another resort but will keep our eye on this one for a future visit.

What resort did you choose?

We looked closely at all of the resorts. This one seems to need time to work out relationships with agents. I get concerned when too many "Martinas" come into the discussion.

I like the idea of clear water, but after looking at every picture we could find, there is very little shade; I contacted them and I was told I could go into the restaurant for shade:confused: There is also a steep drop off on the beach from erosion. We chose another resort but will keep our eye on this one for a future visit.

The shade has been my concern as well based on the photos. But when I emailed Monica, she assured me there would be plenty for our group. So, we are going to give it a whirl. I like all the reviews so far.

What did you choose?

I was at Almaplena on January and I can tell they have enough shaded areas on the beach for about 25 people. Almaplena has a limit of 20 people, so I think there is no problem of shade. The restaurant has a shaded area too.

The beach is beautiful. I can't wait to come back!

Okay, can you tell us about the shade on the beach. I can see some straw umbrellas on the beach. Can you get enough beach chairs under them? It would help to get more info so that we can understand why there is a discrepancy.

I was at Almaplena on January and I can tell they have enough shaded areas on the beach for about 25 people. Almaplena has a limit of 20 people, so I think there is no problem of shade. The restaurant has a shaded area too.

The beach is beautiful. I can't wait to come back!

Thank you for this reassurance! We are very excited. I told Monica that we are not all sun worshipers in our group, and she was sure we wouldn't have a problem.

Okay, can you tell us about the shade on the beach. I can see some straw umbrellas on the beach. Can you get enough beach chairs under them? It would help to get more info so that we can understand why there is a discrepancy.

Don't worry. Under each straw umbrella you get 2 beach chairs. They also have few shaded lounge areas on the beach with pillows or beach chairs. The total shade available is about for 25 people and as I already told you they have a limit of 20 guests.

Can anyone tell me how good the wifi is at Almaplena? I'm thinking about purchasing a Kindle Fire to take with me on our cruise.

People have stated that the wifi is good up by the restaurant. Not so sure about the beach area though.

Well, we have decided to cancel our Dawn cruise and book the Star instead. So, this puts us at Costa Maya on a different day than we have booked.

I contacted (in chat) excursioneer...of COURSE I got "Martina" and it took her forever to answer me. When she finally did, she said they were having computer connection problems because they were moving their office. I ask her how I go about cancelling my reservation (since I will be in Costa Maya on a DIFFERENT day now and will need to book that day for Almaplena instead) and then....nothing! :( So...I tried once again and restarted the chat only to have no one answer me at all.

I will have to try again. But my thoughts...I'm cancelling my reservation with excursioneer and I will just book straight with the resort. "Martina" is making me a little nervous at the moment. :o

Well, we have decided to cancel our Dawn cruise and book the Star instead. So, this puts us at Costa Maya on a different day than we have booked.

I contacted (in chat) excursioneer...of COURSE I got "Martina" and it took her forever to answer me. When she finally did, she said they were having computer connection problems because they were moving their office. I ask her how I go about cancelling my reservation (since I will be in Costa Maya on a DIFFERENT day now and will need to book that day for Almaplena instead) and then....nothing! :( So...I tried once again and restarted the chat only to have no one answer me at all.

I will have to try again. But my thoughts...I'm cancelling my reservation with excursioneer and I will just book straight with the resort. "Martina" is making me a little nervous at the moment. :o

We are sailing on the Star in November...when are you sailing?

Just out of curiosity;) why did you switch?

They are having the kids sail free promo with NCL. The Dawn was not on there and the Star is one of the ships we wanted to cruise with.

We had planned on cruising the Star to Bermuda next year, but they are pulling her out and replacing her with the Breakaway. The Dawn will still be cruising next year to Bermuda and we really didn't want to cruise the same ship twice. So, when they started the kids sail free promo, we did a lot of checking and by switching, we will be saving about $400. We just couldn't pass that up. Plus, now we will be able to sail on the Dawn next year to Bermuda and it will still be a different ship for us. :D

I'm off to go attempt to cancel my reservation once again with excursioneer. Wonder what "Martina" will have to say or not say today. :p

Ok guys...this excursioneer is not looking good (or professional IMO).

I am looking at my confirmation and paperwork that was printed off with my payment for using them for this AI.

The number given on the paperwork with my tickets is 800-254-6685. When I call them to cancel (since Martina is not answering the live chat today) I get an advertisement saying they have switched numbers and if you'd like to order projean (a "sexual" enhancement) then to stay on the line. It gives another number to call for the number that was changed.:cool:

I call the number given (800-712-3000) and it has an answering machine saying "Internet Speeds" and talking about enhancing your internet service and it is a "free 411" message. :(

So, I look on excursioneers site and find another number to call (866-317-2999) and get a message that says "toll free forwarding.com. This number is not recognized" :mad:

Um, so what exactly is going on with this place??? It looks like there is no way to reach them or get money returned for bookings.

How frustrating!!! Good luck!

Yea, nothing yet and still can't get anyone to answer the chat live today. :(

This was the reason I booked with them to begin with (the LOW deposit)...just in case anything happened and I had to cancel, I would only be out $18 instead of hundreds. :eek:

Please note the question and the response from Monica

There is some dispute on Cruise Critic as to the amount of shade that is available. We would require shade for the 4 of us. We certainly can be under 2 different umbrella’s but we would not want to spend all day in the restaurant to get shade. Would we be guaranteed of shade if we decided to book with you?

Of course we ensure you a shade spot on the beach for all of you 4. All the reservation we get have the right to have their own shade on the beach. We provide one umbrella for every 2 people or a shaded area for 4 people. Everybody gets his own beach chair or beach pillow. Yes, our restaurant terrace is shaded but you don't have to stay there if you prefer to stay on the beach.

We guaranteed the shade for everybody has a reservation.

I ended up having to email excursioneer with my concerns about no live chat response, all 3 phone numbers listed are wrong and that I had cancelled my cruise and needed a refund. I did receive an email a day or two later stating they have refunded my paypal account. After checking for a few days, nothing had showed up. :(

I emailed them again and they have sent me another email stating they have issued the refund again. I'm still waiting for it to show up...nothing yet.

Archived