Villefranche 0700-1400 April 2012

Podie

How far is Eze from Villefranche and is it on the Bus 100 route to Monaco? Thanks Ontario Cruiser

In general or theory, "anything is possible", but much depends on how much NET, port time you have in Villefranche. Tell us more!! If you really want to see anything in both of these unique area with any decent "depth" and detail, plus deal with ALL of the "logistics", plus the tendering time for getting to and from Villefranche, the odds are not good to doing it "all", especially by public transit. By private car or tour would be much more likely or possible, maybe.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,430 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

In general or theory, "anything is possible", but much depends on how much NET, port time you have in Villefranche. Tell us more!! If you really want to see anything in both of these unique area with any decent "depth" and detail, plus deal with ALL of the "logistics", plus the tendering time for getting to and from Villefranche, the odds are not good to doing it "all", especially by public transit. By private car or tour would be much more likely or possible, maybe.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,430 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We're interested in going to Eze. Is there a bus or train that we can take to get there on our own? How long a trip is it? Can you give us directions? Thanks

We're interested in going to Eze. Is there a bus or train that we can take to get there on our own? How long a trip is it? Can you give us directions? Thanks

We have often given bus instructions on this forum but here goes again. There is no direct bus from Villefranche to Eze Village. There is a bus line (#112 bus) that runs between Nice and Monte Carlo (along the Middle Corniche) that stops right at the entrance to Eze Village. But this bus has a very irregular schedule which you can read by clicking on the PDF file here : http://www.lignesdazur.com/horaires_ligne/?rub_code=6&lign_id=1093. If you use this bus you certainly need to plan around the schedule. It leaves from the small bus station in Nice that is located just north of the old town.

There is another way using public transit. The regional TER train (that runs along the coast) stops at Villefranche and also makes a stop at a tiny station called Eze/Bord sur Mer (this is in the direction of Monte Carlo). Eze/Bord sur Mer lies below the hilltop Eze Village but you still need to get up to the village (several miles on the road). There is a local bus that does run between the station and Eze Village, but it does not coordinate with the trains and runs very infrequently (usually stops for several hours at lunch time). It is also possible to call for a taxi to take you from Eze/Bord sur Mer up to the village. In addition, the #100 bus line, which is the local bus that runs between Nice and Monte Carlo along the lower road (this bus also stops at Villefranche) does make a stop at Eze/Bord sur Mer.

Of course there is my personal favorite method of transportation in this region which is to simply rent a car. We can then drive to places like St Paul de Vence and Eze Village with no hassles. There is at least one rental car company (Locauto) which delivers cars to the tender pier in Villefranche.

Hank

We have often given bus instructions on this forum but here goes again. There is no direct bus from Villefranche to Eze Village. There is a bus line (#112 bus) that runs between Nice and Monte Carlo (along the Middle Corniche) that stops right at the entrance to Eze Village. But this bus has a very irregular schedule which you can read by clicking on the PDF file here : http://www.lignesdazur.com/horaires_ligne/?rub_code=6&lign_id=1093. If you use this bus you certainly need to plan around the schedule. It leaves from the small bus station in Nice that is located just north of the old town.

There is another way using public transit. The regional TER train (that runs along the coast) stops at Villefranche and also makes a stop at a tiny station called Eze/Bord sur Mer (this is in the direction of Monte Carlo). Eze/Bord sur Mer lies below the hilltop Eze Village but you still need to get up to the village (several miles on the road). There is a local bus that does run between the station and Eze Village, but it does not coordinate with the trains and runs very infrequently (usually stops for several hours at lunch time). It is also possible to call for a taxi to take you from Eze/Bord sur Mer up to the village. In addition, the #100 bus line, which is the local bus that runs between Nice and Monte Carlo along the lower road (this bus also stops at Villefranche) does make a stop at Eze/Bord sur Mer.

Of course there is my personal favorite method of transportation in this region which is to simply rent a car. We can then drive to places like St Paul de Vence and Eze Village with no hassles. There is at least one rental car company (Locauto) which delivers cars to the tender pier in Villefranche.

Hank

Thanks so much for all your info. Renting a car for us personally is out since we don't like to drive in unfamiliar places. Would you know if they have taxi/vans at the port that would take us to Eze and perhaps St. Paul de Vence? Does anyone have experience in doing this. We may be able to get some fellow passengers to share and thus not have to worry about bus/train schedules. Any ideas on this?

Thanks so much for all your info. Renting a car for us personally is out since we don't like to drive in unfamiliar places. Would you know if they have taxi/vans at the port that would take us to Eze and perhaps St. Paul de Vence? Does anyone have experience in doing this. We may be able to get some fellow passengers to share and thus not have to worry about bus/train schedules. Any ideas on this?

There will probably be a small number of taxis at the pier (first come first serve) but then again, the taxi drivers might all be enjoying their morning cafe au lait and not even bother with the port. If you can get a taxi to Eze, the cost will not break the bank. But a taxi to St Paul de Vence will be very expensive (probably over 75 Euros each way). Taxis in the south of France are very expensive for anything other then short local runs. Most of the time you need a taxi you have to telephone...although there are a few real taxi stands scattered throughout the region (mostly in the major cities like Nice and Monte Carlo).

Hank

We have made a preliminary decision to take the boat excursion that does Old Nice and Eze. I am happy to let someone else do the driving when I am on vacation in a foreign country.

That is always an option and a good one if money is no issue. The #100 bus from Villefrance to Nice is 1 Euro. The #112 bus from Nice to Eze Village is 1 Euro. The #112 bus from Eze Village to Monte Carlo is 1 Euro! The #100 bus from Monte Carlo back to Villefrance is 1 Euro. Total cost for seeing Nice, Eze Village and Monte Carlo is 4 Euros per person (plus whatever you choose to spend on food and shopping and perhaps local buses). We do not necessarily recommend this type of day, but its not a bad idea :) As to excursions, we think they are fine for those that enjoy being on a 50+ person bus....but personally we call that a "cattle call." We do practice what we preach. We have an upcoming cruise with 31 ports and have booked one excursion (it was a weak moment). The other 30 ports (in North Africa and Europe) will all be done DIY.

Hank

We also wanted to see both Eze and St Paul de Vence and made plans to rent a car for the day.DH decided he did not want to drive so we ended up hiring a driver for a four hour private tour through Exclusive Riviera. Upon arrival, seeing the twisty, winding roads, we were so glad we made that choice. We were able to visit both villages and stop at a few other amazing viewpoints along the way. It was one of the best days of the entire trip. If I had to choose, I'd say St Paul

is definitely worth making the effort. This tour option was more costly, but worth it. We heard others onboard complain about lines for the train and difficulty coordinating the schedules.

That is always an option and a good one if money is no issue. The #100 bus from Villefrance to Nice is 1 Euro. The #112 bus from Nice to Eze Village is 1 Euro. The #112 bus from Eze Village to Monte Carlo is 1 Euro! The #100 bus from Monte Carlo back to Villefrance is 1 Euro. Total cost for seeing Nice, Eze Village and Monte Carlo is 4 Euros per person (plus whatever you choose to spend on food and shopping and perhaps local buses). We do not necessarily recommend this type of day, but its not a bad idea :) As to excursions, we think they are fine for those that enjoy being on a 50+ person bus....but personally we call that a "cattle call." We do practice what we preach. We have an upcoming cruise with 31 ports and have booked one excursion (it was a weak moment). The other 30 ports (in North Africa and Europe) will all be done DIY.

Hank

We are often DIY'ers. In this case I am thinking about (for us) what is the highest probability and least stress method for us to see what we want. I understand the adventure in DIY and the ability to save some $$ but that is not what I need in this port. Each of the approaches has its advantages and disadvantages. Here I am willing to put up with the disadvantage (the big bus) for the advantage (making sure that I get where I want to (and get back) safely and with little hassle).

We also wanted to see both Eze and St Paul de Vence and made plans to rent a car for the day.DH decided he did not want to drive so we ended up hiring a driver for a four hour private tour through Exclusive Riviera. Upon arrival, seeing the twisty, winding roads, we were so glad we made that choice. We were able to visit both villages and stop at a few other amazing viewpoints along the way. It was one of the best days of the entire trip. If I had to choose, I'd say St Paul

is definitely worth making the effort. This tour option was more costly, but worth it. We heard others onboard complain about lines for the train and difficulty coordinating the schedules.

Did you book the driver precruise or hire him at the port? How much did the tour cost and how many passengers?

Did you book the driver precruise or hire him at the port? How much did the tour cost and how many passengers?

We paid 230 euros for 4 hours, just the two of us. We went over a bit on time, no extra charge. We booked at the last moment from home so never made an attempt to find others to join us. It was truly one of the best days. Michel, our driver, was so personable, we made a new friend.

http://frenchrivierasightseeing-tourguide.com/private_tour_nice.html

I hate to bust in on the Villefrance thread.. but some of this info may cross over, since Villefrance is wedged in the middle of Monaco and Nice :)

I'm a little confused about how exactly to find the right bus stops... We would like to go from Monaco>Eze>Nice>Monaco.. Great, bus 112 out and 100 back.

But it looks like there are more than 1 stop in each city.. so which ones do we want in Nice (say for the open air marlet) and Monaco? If we dock in Monaco, how do we find the right stop for the 100&112 buses ?

I have been trying to find a map of bus stops in each city but keep coming up empty :(

I hate to bust in on the Villefrance thread.. but some of this info may cross over, since Villefrance is wedged in the middle of Monaco and Nice :)

I'm a little confused about how exactly to find the right bus stops... We would like to go from Monaco>Eze>Nice>Monaco.. Great, bus 112 out and 100 back.

But it looks like there are more than 1 stop in each city.. so which ones do we want in Nice (say for the open air marlet) and Monaco? If we dock in Monaco, how do we find the right stop for the 100&112 buses ?

I have been trying to find a map of bus stops in each city but keep coming up empty :(

There are several stops for the 100 bus in Villefranche and its the main road through the town (can't remember the name at this moment but you can just ask at the port) which is a few blocks inland from the tender pier (some of it uphill). As to Nice, your best bet is to go to the last stop which is the small bus station called "JC Bermond." This station is just a couple of blocks from the northern end of the old town and if you want to go to the open air market (Flower Market) you need to thread yourself through the old town (download a map or you will get lost and be asking for directions) to near the water to the Cours Selaya. As to Monte Carlo, again there are several stops right in the heart of the city. You could simply get off at any stop and walk, or perhaps you might prefer the stop that is adjacent to the Tourist Office (just ask the driver of another passenger).

The key to DIY in anyplace is having a decent street map. You can often find maps in some guide books (the red Michelin Guides have decent maps of the larger cities) which you can copy at a library. Maps are also available on line which you can print out. Many of the cruise lines will give you some lousy maps...but its best to make your own. Once you get to a local tourist office or anyplace that has the big "I" sign you should be able to get free maps and guides.

If you do get lost do not hesitate to just stop a stranger (or go into a shop) and ask for help. In France, always start any conversation with a friendly "Bon Jour" accompanied with a smile. This goes a long way in that country. Our French is lousy and we have often frustrated folks that only spoke French....who will often end walking us part of the way to where we need to go. Most folks in the south of France are quite friendly (as long as you give them a nice Bon Jour). And by the way, even when you walk into a shop, store, cafe, whatever, it is correct to say Bon Jour. Some consider it impolite not to at least say hello as a courtesy. In Nice if you are trying to get to the Flower Market it is sometimes better to simply ask for the "Cours Selaya Marche."

Hank

We paid 230 euros for 4 hours, just the two of us. We went over a bit on time, no extra charge. We booked at the last moment from home so never made an attempt to find others to join us. It was truly one of the best days. Michel, our driver, was so personable, we made a new friend.

http://frenchrivierasightseeing-tourguide.com/private_tour_nice.html

Thanks so much for this link. I have contacted Michel and trying to get a group together from my roll call.

Anyone else have any experience with this tour guide or company?

Thanks so much for this link. I have contacted Michel and trying to get a group together from my roll call.

Anyone else have any experience with this tour guide or company?

We were unable to find any reviews prior to our trip. Now there are two on Tripadvisor - ours and one other.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187234-d2314443-Reviews-Exclusive_Riviera_Private_Tours-Nice_French_Riviera_Cote_d_Azur_Provence.html

Hopefully you'll hear from others, and have a wonderful report upon your return. We encouraged Michel to ask his customers to post reviews, as do some of the other big tour companies like Romeinlimo and Barcelona Day Tours. Please report back after your trip.

We were unable to find any reviews prior to our trip. Now there are two on Tripadvisor - ours and one other.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187234-d2314443-Reviews-Exclusive_Riviera_Private_Tours-Nice_French_Riviera_Cote_d_Azur_Provence.html

Hopefully you'll hear from others, and have a wonderful report upon your return. We encouraged Michel to ask his customers to post reviews, as do some of the other big tour companies like Romeinlimo and Barcelona Day Tours. Please report back after your trip.

Thanks so much for this additional link. We almost have the van filled already. Do you feel Michel's van would be comfortable for 8 adults?

We always recommend any tour guides that we were happy with on Cruise Critic. I also tell the guide that I plan to do this and they are always happy to hear this. I have found many wonderful tour suggestions on CC and like to play it forward.

Thanks so much for this additional link. We almost have the van filled already. Do you feel Michel's van would be comfortable for 8 adults?

We always recommend any tour guides that we were happy with on Cruise Critic. I also tell the guide that I plan to do this and they are always happy to hear this. I have found many wonderful tour suggestions on CC and like to play it forward.

Sorry, I can't speak to the van. It was only the two of us and he took us in his shiny new sedan. Tell him his "Boston friends" say hello. As an aside, if you go to St. Paul you will see ome places to grab a bite to eat or drinks fairly close to the entrance (and very crowded). If you want to eat, go further into the town and choose one of the lovely small places off to your right. Some are down tiny alleys or steps and have small terraces overlooking the walls. Be sure to see the tiny chapel - Church of the White Penitents, it is like nothing you'll see on your trip. The inside glows.

Archived