Medevac from QM2

Cruachan

I have just posted the following news item on my website but thought it was worthy of repetition here.

"At approximately 0930hrs on 21 December 2011, the watchkeepers at the US Coast Guard 5th District Command Center in Portsmouth, Virginia were notified that a female passenger onboard Queen Mary 2 was experiencing severe abdominal pain. An MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from US Coast Guard Air Station, Elizabeth City, North Carolina was tasked to perform the medevac. The helicopter reached QM2 at approximately 1600hrs and the lady, along with the ship's doctor, was airlifted from the deck and flown to the Sentara General Hospital in Norfolk Virginia where the lady is now undergoing treatment."

No more info at the moment.

J

I guess that is 0930 GMT/Universal time? You posted it before 8 AM EST. I don't think it's 1600 GMT even yet...

A crew member was evacuated from the QV just off Cuba during our Panama Canal cruise. We were at dinner and had a good view of the approaching helicopter from our seats at the rear of the ship.

I guess that is 0930 GMT/Universal time? You posted it before 8 AM EST. I don't think it's 1600 GMT even yet...

Underwatr,

very many thanks for pointing that out. The newsfeeds that I use to gather these little news items often seem to have a somewhat cavalier attitude to dates and times. In fact, having checked the local US media, it seems that all times are local but that, in reality, the incident occurred on 19 December. I have made appropriate amendments to the news item on my site.

Thanks again, I totally failed to spot the inconsistencies in that one.

J

I do hope the lady in question is on the mend and being well looked after.

Many people think that abdominal pain is nothing to worry about, but can be a sign of something very serious, especially in ladies upwards of a particular age group.

Sail safe everyone! :)

Greetings from onboard QM2 (currently sailing to Curacao).

The scheduled arrival for the US Coast Guard chopper was 4pm ship's time*, according to an announcement by the Commodore. We heard the chopper circulating over head at 3:56pm. Winds were Force 7 and the seas were moderate. The operation was completed by 4:35pm (sunset was at 4:34). From what I was able to observe, all performed their duties expertly. Kudos to the pilot and crew of the US Coast Guard chopper and the Commodore and crew of QM2. Best wishes to the evacuated passenger.

And may I add a very Merry Christmast and Happy Hanukkah to all! -Salacia

*Tues, December 29, 2011

Greetings from onboard QM2 (currently sailing to Curacao).

The scheduled arrival for the US Coast Guard chopper was 4pm ship's time*, according to an announcement by the Commodore. We heard the chopper circulating over head at 3:56pm. Winds were Force 7 and the seas were moderate. The operation was completed by 4:35pm (sunset was at 4:34). From what I was able to observe, all performed their duties expertly. Kudos to the pilot and crew of the US Coast Guard chopper and the Commodore and crew of QM2. Best wishes to the evacuated passenger.

And may I add a very Merry Christmast and Happy Hanukkah to all! -Salacia

*Tues, December 29, 2011

Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukka, Quality Kwanza & for the rest of us there's Festivus! Oh, yeah, stop Posting & have a blast!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived