ORIANA Refit

intel

Any one news and photos of Oriana since its refit. It was programmed to leave on a cruise 19 December prior to its world cruise.

Brian

Haven't seen any of inside the ship, but there are pictures of the new ducktail which has been fitted here: http://lmcshipsandthesea.blogspot.com/2011/12/oriana-in-hamburg.html

I've been blogging about Oriana's refit: just pulling together information wherever I could find it and posting the relevant links. Someone I know (on-line) got some pictures of Oriana in Southampton on the 19th, and has said I could use them, so here's a link to the entry, and an onward link to her gallery of pictures.

Here's another link, this time to all of my 'Oriana Refit' posts.

The re work of the stern does not look too bad at all. Quite a good job.

Apparantly Alfresco's Pizzeria and the gym were to be extended to the far wall removing the starboard side walkway to the forward sports courts. If that is true only someone onboard can confirm and post photos.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Oriana X122 December 19th voyage the first after the re-fit. We had previously seen the Oriana described as having 'faded glory'. That was certainly not the case. It was in fine condition. Much of the interior paintwork and carpets looked new. Nothing looked 'well-worn'. In fact everything looked pretty much pristine. As far as alterations made to the ship are concerned we cannot comment, since we were not on it previously.

The re work of the stern does not look too bad at all. Quite a good job.

Apparantly Alfresco's Pizzeria and the gym were to be extended to the far wall removing the starboard side walkway to the forward sports courts. If that is true only someone onboard can confirm and post photos.

The new deck plans still show the port and starboard walkways.

I kind of had mixed feelings when I heard it was going adults only. It is a good ship and I didnt think it was a good idea to do that to Oriana. On the other hand a ship like Arcadia was great to sail on and very relaxing.

The new video on youtube that P&O announced on their facebook page leaves more questions than answers. Alfrescos appears to have been renamed Sorrento and it looks like it has extended to the extreme side of the ship and taken over that walkway that led to the forward sports decks.

Also the two indoor spas and sauna at the front now appear to be seperated by a barricade that you can no longer see out the forward windows. The question is what is in that space now? is it still a yoga/gym aerobics area?

The gym appears to be bare and empty which is not a good sign for me.

The aft looks great and the work done blends in. Someday I will be back on Oriana again but not sure when.

Well, I guess it is just a normal rite of passage in any storied ship when she receives extensive redesign/refurbishment. It happened to the QE2, it happened to the Canberra and now its happened to Oriana.

I'm just glad that the duck-tail they have built has added to the overall look/profile of the ship rather than deduct from it- I always personally felt she looked slightly fragile, while Aurora her half sister to me is the best looking cruise ship afloat.

Yes Les - she has joined Adonia and Arcadia as ships exclusively for adults.

Thanks Sharon, now what about if the Captain, or Senior Officers wanted to take their children on their ship for a cruise, would they be prohibited as well? Adults only, means adults only in my eyes.

On the many Princess cruise ships I have been on you often see senior officers with wife and children around the ship's pools, around the decks and dining or on shorex.

I kind of had mixed feelings when I heard it was going adults only. It is a good ship and I didnt think it was a good idea to do that to Oriana. On the other hand a ship like Arcadia was great to sail on and very relaxing.

The new video on youtube that P&O announced on their facebook page leaves more questions than answers. Alfrescos appears to have been renamed Sorrento and it looks like it has extended to the extreme side of the ship and taken over that walkway that led to the forward sports decks.

Also the two indoor spas and sauna at the front now appear to be seperated by a barricade that you can no longer see out the forward windows. The question is what is in that space now? is it still a yoga/gym aerobics area?

The gym appears to be bare and empty which is not a good sign for me.

The aft looks great and the work done blends in. Someday I will be back on Oriana again but not sure when.

Hi Sutho

Al Fresco is the same as before serving breakfast, lunch etc. throughout the day. It closes for a short period in the evening then re-opens for late night snacks. It has been nicely refurbished with the removal of the partition between the seating area and kitchen. It is still a lovely place to eat, the only downside for us being the ignorant passengers who insist on just walking through as a shortcut.

I think the confusion with Sorrento (which is a separate venue within the Conservatory) is that this is now the "Italian" style restaurant in the evening (which Al Fresco used to provide previously). We tried Sorrento on the recent Christmas cruise and it was lovely, well worth the £5.00 per person supplement. The food was lovely (cooked to order of course) and the service friendly and attentive but not interruptive.

The gym was a revelation. It has been extended into what used to be the studio with the latter moved to what used to be the gym itself. In other words previously the studio was bigger than the gym, now it is the other way around. This means that there are more treadmills and bikes and some new resistance machines, but unfortunately there was still only one rower.

The aft is even better now with new sofas and longers. Definitely our favourite place to sit out on any of the P&O ships.

Anything else you want to know just ask and I'll do my best.

Cheers

Damian

Hi Sutho

Al Fresco is the same as before serving breakfast, lunch etc. throughout the day. It closes for a short period in the evening then re-opens for late night snacks. It has been nicely refurbished with the removal of the partition between the seating area and kitchen. It is still a lovely place to eat, the only downside for us being the ignorant passengers who insist on just walking through as a shortcut.

I think the confusion with Sorrento (which is a separate venue within the Conservatory) is that this is now the "Italian" style restaurant in the evening (which Al Fresco used to provide previously). We tried Sorrento on the recent Christmas cruise and it was lovely, well worth the £5.00 per person supplement. The food was lovely (cooked to order of course) and the service friendly and attentive but not interruptive.

The gym was a revelation. It has been extended into what used to be the studio with the latter moved to what used to be the gym itself. In other words previously the studio was bigger than the gym, now it is the other way around. This means that there are more treadmills and bikes and some new resistance machines, but unfortunately there was still only one rower.

The aft is even better now with new sofas and longers. Definitely our favourite place to sit out on any of the P&O ships.

Anything else you want to know just ask and I'll do my best.

Cheers

Damian

Thanks for that it has explained everything perfectly for everyone. I am sure I will still be able to enjoy Oriana in the years to come. It is one ship that I intend to book the final ever cruise on when the time eventually comes. Also Aurora is another favourite that I will defenitely be on when it has its last voyage.

Thanks for that it has explained everything perfectly for everyone. I am sure I will still be able to enjoy Oriana in the years to come. It is one ship that I intend to book the final ever cruise on when the time eventually comes. Also Aurora is another favourite that I will defenitely be on when it has its last voyage.

I hope you do get back onboard sometime, it is just about our favourite P&O ship too. Al Fresco or MDR for breakfast, Al Fresco or Tiffanys for lunch, Lords Tavern, Harlequins or Tiffanys for a pre-dinner drink and any of those 3 plus the Pacific Lounge (or even take in a show at the Theatre) after dinner. For me you can't beat it, not forgetting that the cinema is pretty good as well. Just a shame for us that Rhodes was replaced by MPW though others may prefer the latter.

All the best

Damian

. Al Fresco or MDR for breakfast, Al Fresco or Tiffanys for lunch, Lords Tavern, Harlequins or Tiffanys for a pre-dinner drink and any of those 3 plus the Pacific Lounge (or even take in a show at the Theatre) after dinner. For me you can't beat it, not forgetting that the cinema is pretty good as well. Just a shame for us that Rhodes was replaced by MPW though others may prefer the latter.

All the best

Damian

#

Damian - agree with all you say above (thought I wrote it for a minute!LOL)

I am onboard Oriana in 4 months and can't wait , will be trying out MPW and Sorrento after reading your info. Although I also think Rhodes on Oriana was superb and will be a hard act to follow.

#

Damian - agree with all you say above (thought I wrote it for a minute!LOL)

I am onboard Oriana in 4 months and can't wait , will be trying out MPW and Sorrento after reading your info. Although I also think Rhodes on Oriana was superb and will be a hard act to follow.

Depending on where you are and the weather you may even be able to enjoy a meal at Sorrento outdoors under the stars!

Enjoy!

Damian

Can someone tell me what has been done to the cabins during Oriana's recent refit.

During October 2011 various friends of ours described some of the cabins as tatty. Rusty toilet doors and window surrounds, stained wash basins and toilets, Worn Mattresses, and worn and stained carpets.

Was on the Western Med Cruise after re-fit. Can't tell you exactly what was done to cabins during refit, but our cabin (F217) was near pristine.

Still had the extra bunk beds. Can't imagine they'll be needed now the ship will not be taking children. It would be nicer if these beds were removed as they make getting out of bed more difficult.

The Cabin was very clean and did not seem worn or aged, the carpet fine, and the bathroom was spotless. The only very small thing I noticed was a small cigarette burn on the plastic edge of the basin. The cabin was not at all "tatty". There are the 18 new cabins too following the refit. A passenger in them told me they could be very noisy from the entertainment going on below. -Mike

Hi really pleased to read your positive views about Oriana as we are due to join the world cruise at the end of january and we have read some very disturbing reviews of the Xmas cruise on other websites,ie cruise.co.uk mainly about engine vibration ,lack of staff in dining rooms,quality of entertainment and making the 2 dance floors smaller by the addition of more table and chairs on them. I would really appreciate any comments as we have never been on the ship before .

Hi really pleased to read your positive views about Oriana as we are due to join the world cruise at the end of january and we have read some very disturbing reviews of the Xmas cruise on other websites,ie cruise.co.uk mainly about engine vibration ,lack of staff in dining rooms,quality of entertainment and making the 2 dance floors smaller by the addition of more table and chairs on them. I would really appreciate any comments as we have never been on the ship before .

We were on Oriana last April and on the recent Christmas cruise and Harlequins looked the same to me. It still has the largest dance floor in the fleet as far as I am aware and if the space has been reduced then it wasn't noticeable as far as we were concerned. This was our first Christmas cruise and the only negative for us would be that Christmas day itself just seemed a little bit like any other day until the evening at least. However we enjoyed the extra Christmas activities (carol concerts etc.) throughout the cruise and the crew were as friendly as ever. Luckily we avoided most whingers but I'm not surprised to here that there were plenty sailing with us. We did a blog on the P&O website whilst onboard and another poster in particular seemed to be looking for faults at every opportunity. One possibily valid point made by someone on our blog was this this was very much a "shakedown" cruise, i.e. the first after the refit which could explain any shortfalls in performance here and there (not that we really experienced anything too bad). We went to the Headliners shows a few times and they were excellent. We were on second sitting and there was never any problem getting a seat. We did specifically request dining in the Peninsular restaurant to avoid the possibilty of feeling any vibrations and it worked out fine so my tip would be to ask your Travel Agent (or P&O directly) to request that for you.

Don't be put off by a few negative reviews!

Damian

Archived