Estimating costs of private tours

scarlett81

I'm trying to figure out what we'll end up spending on private tours through our cruise for the Athens, Ephesus and Istanbul ports.

Can anyone tell me what to expect on average for a half day tour of Athens in a van (4 adults, and 2 kids) and a full day tour?

With a 1 yo, 5 yo, and my dad with unpredictable knee issues, we've decided private tours are a must.

Your best bet is to locate some reputable guides with recommendations (either by reading here or elsewhere) and contact them for a quote. Prices change, so someone's experience 2 years ago may not be the same as the prices next year.

You're not under any obligation to book with someone just by contacting them for pricing info. Some even have it on their web site.

You don,t need to estimate . Do some Google searches like day trips of xxxxx and you can make bookings on line and know your exact costs . Most Companies will cheerfully meet Cruise Passengers at the Docks .

Some ports lend themselves better to self exploration like taking the ships shuttle or taxi into town and then doing your own thing . Dubrovnik , and Koper for Ljubjana, and Mykonos are excellent examples where taking tours is a waste of time and money .

Tell us your precise ports of call and we can guide you where tours are best and self exploration is best .

[quote name=kuldalai;31725958

Some ports lend themselves better to self exploration like taking the ships shuttle or taxi into town and then doing your own thing . Dubrovnik ' date=' and Koper for Ljubjana, and Mykonos are excellent examples where taking tours is a waste of time and money .

Tell us your precise ports of call and we can guide you where tours are best and self exploration is best .[/quote]

Santorini, Istanbul, Mykonos, Ephesus, Athens and Naples. (Hubby and I have already been to Naples, Capri and Positano. We'll probably take my parents to Capri that day.)

For Istanbul we overnight and have till noon the next day to sightsee.

I did not want to start another thread so hope it's okay I'm tagging on to this one. I, too, am looking for tour guides in Rome, Athens and Kusadasi. However in Rome I do not need a driver. I will be staying in the heart of Rome for three days prior to the cruise. I really just want a knowledgable guide for the Colloseum, and the Forum.

We are taking the Vatican Gardens tour so that will include admission to the museums and we don't need a guide in there.

In Athens I am comfortable taking the train to the Acropolis but would like a good guide for going through it.

All the info on this site is for people who are drivers and guides and their prices are outrageous since they pick you p at the ship. I can easily avoid that, just want guides for those places. Anybody got any info?

I did not want to start another thread so hope it's okay I'm tagging on to this one. I, too, am looking for tour guides in Rome, Athens and Kusadasi. However in Rome I do not need a driver. I will be staying in the heart of Rome for three days prior to the cruise. I really just want a knowledgable guide for the Colloseum, and the Forum.

We are taking the Vatican Gardens tour so that will include admission to the museums and we don't need a guide in there.

In Athens I am comfortable taking the train to the Acropolis but would like a good guide for going through it.

All the info on this site is for people who are drivers and guides and their prices are outrageous since they pick you p at the ship. I can easily avoid that, just want guides for those places. Anybody got any info?

In Rome you can pick up a guide right outside the Colosseum. They will try to get groups together (most are 8-10 people) and charge around 10 euro per person. If you want a private guide just for your group it will be around 100 euro for the total.

If you want to arrange ahead to be part of a small group walking tour in Rome, I can recommend both Through Eternity tours and Context Travel tours. Both feature small groups. Context is a bit more in depth, so I'd recommend them more if you really have a strong interest in ancient Rome. (Same with their Vatican tours.) Googling either name will lead to their websites for more info.

In Athens, I can also highly recommend Athens Walking Tours. They have a half day tour that covers the Acropolis and some of the other ancient monuments, as well as the changing of the guard. They meet right at one of the major metro station entrances that is easy to reach from the ship either by using the metro from Piraeus or taking a taxi and asking them to drop you there. You can add on an afternoon tour that also covers the Acropolis Museum. Again, Google the bolded name to find their website with full info & prices.

Santorini - You can either go on a Full circle island tour with a local Operator or ships excursion, or just go up the Chairlift to Fira and explore around yourself . We took an air-conditioned mini bus tour of the whole island which was wonderful with Ocean Wave Tours. You can book on line with their website . They picked us up at 0930 and we were back at 1500 at Fira which gave us time to explore and shop in the town. Just be sure to allow plenty of time to get back down on the chairlift .

Mykonos - is definitely a port you can do on your own . Take the ships shuttle bus or tender into town . Here you can explore the waterfront with all it shops and rsetaurants. Also from here at the old village you can take the ferry to explore the ruins on the Island of Delos . Just check the ferry schedules to be sure you are back in time to Mykonos .

Ephesus - Kusadasi is the port for the ruins at Ephesus which are not to be missed, especially the recently unearthed Terrace Houses . Ephesus is 30 minutes from the Port so the ships excursion is the way to go here . The ruins at Ephesus are in fact more spectacular than those at Delphi in Greece, and NOT to be missed.

Athens - You can take the ships excursion, or taxi to the Metro station at Piraeus then take the Metro up to Monistiraki station . Come up to ground there and you are in the heart of the Plaka and within walking distance of the Acropolis. Alternatively we used Kostas Kasolis (Mobile 6932 816 171) who met us at the ship with an air-conditioned car and took us around all the sights (Parthenon, Parliament, Plaka, Lykettaboss Hill, Syntygma Square, 1896 Olympic Stadium, etc ) and returned us to the ship late afternoon for a rate pp very much less than a ships excursion .

Santorini, Istanbul, Mykonos, Ephesus, Athens and Naples. (Hubby and I have already been to Naples, Capri and Positano. We'll probably take my parents to Capri that day.)

For Istanbul we overnight and have till noon the next day to sightsee.

We're doing those same ports. Celebrity Equinox April 30.

Santorini - do on own. You can rent a car for $40Euro for the day. Drive to Oia, walk around, drive to red beach, and black beach.

For Istanbul and Ephesus we found a tour company called Ephesus Deluxe that we are booked for. For both cities it was $119 for 6 people.

I'm trying to figure out what we'll end up spending on private tours through our cruise for the Athens, Ephesus and Istanbul ports.

Can anyone tell me what to expect on average for a half day tour of Athens in a van (4 adults, and 2 kids) and a full day tour?

With a 1 yo, 5 yo, and my dad with unpredictable knee issues, we've decided private tours are a must.

we have done private tours with 2 adults and 4 kids in several ports....figure $1000 US dollars for the day...remember the tour is one thing...but you have to pay to enter just about everything...the Colesieum...the Parthenon..etc...

btw...the $1000 is a low estimate...$1200 is more like it...and remember you need to pay in Euro in most places...so about 550 E for the tour and then the extras...and remember you will need to bring most of this Euro from home because the ATM's will only give you about 500E per day...so in order to do private tours you will be constantly looking for an ATM...and they are not as numerous as many claim they are...trust me....also you will have to be dipping into several different accounts and use several different machines in order to get what you need....so just bring enough from home and forget about the exchange rate....you are not an international money trader anyway...so you will pay too much to exchange your dollars anyway...be it here or abroad....:D

we also DO NOT waste time and sit down for lunch while on a private tour...just eat hearty in the AM...and enjoy every minute in port...

Now...there will be posters who say my estimates are too high.....they are wrong....so if you want a private car service and you want to enter the sites and you are a family of 6.....think $1000 to $1200 USD for the big ports and maybe slightly less for the smaller ports...like Monaco and Venice..where you can easily walk around.

We're doing those same ports. Celebrity Equinox April 30.

Santorini - do on own. You can rent a car for $40Euro for the day. Drive to Oia, walk around, drive to red beach, and black beach.

For Istanbul and Ephesus we found a tour company called Ephesus Deluxe that we are booked for. For both cities it was $119 for 6 people.

they are a family of 6...they will have to pre arrange for a van if they want to rent a car.

It is easy for posters to say rent a car for 40E...but that is for a small car that will not fit 6 pax.

For your Turkish ports I can recommend Ekol Tours. In Kusadasi they offer tours to Ephesus for 6-10 people for $58.00 per person. Rounding off that would be $360.00 dollars (they take US $) for the tour. Does not include tips for the driver and guide and any meals/drinks. Tour is 3.5 hrs long. So technically if you get off early - do the tour and return to the ship for a late lunch - no money spent on meals. They have other tours that include other sites and the price goes up. This is a first class company and provide great tours (we have used them twice).

You are wise to book private tours with 2 little ones and another with mobility issues. However, I do think an estimate of $1200. for the day is a bit high. We too usually do not opt for a long sit down lunch which can "eat up" precious port time. Rather we find a little pizza place or a gyro stick and grab a bite so we probably save a chunk there. I am a shopper though and find I spend a nice amount doing that.....but that is purely individual choice.

For your Turkish ports I can recommend Ekol Tours. In Kusadasi they offer tours to Ephesus for 6-10 people for $58.00 per person. Rounding off that would be $360.00 dollars (they take US $) for the tour. Does not include tips for the driver and guide and any meals/drinks. Tour is 3.5 hrs long. So technically if you get off early - do the tour and return to the ship for a late lunch - no money spent on meals. They have other tours that include other sites and the price goes up. This is a first class company and provide great tours (we have used them twice).

You are wise to book private tours with 2 little ones and another with mobility issues. However, I do think an estimate of $1200. for the day is a bit high. We too usually do not opt for a long sit down lunch which can "eat up" precious port time. Rather we find a little pizza place or a gyro stick and grab a bite so we probably save a chunk there. I am a shopper though and find I spend a nice amount doing that.....but that is purely individual choice.

actually I was thinking in terms of Naples/Rome/Florence private tours when I estimated.....and thankfully the Turkish ports are less per person for a private tour.

No reason to guess at tour costs. For Istanbul and Kusadasi (Ephesus) just take a look at the excursion prices on http://www.ekoltravel.com/ They are an excellent Turkish tour company that posts their prices online. Ekol's prices tend to be in the middle to higher end of many tour companies, but this will give you a great idea of the possiblities and costs.

Hank

actually I was thinking in terms of Naples/Rome/Florence private tours when I estimated.....and thankfully the Turkish ports are less per person for a private tour.

For Naples you should look at APTours. From Naples for a full day tour to Pompeii, Ravello, Amalfi and Positano they quote 400 euros for 4-6 people. With current exchange rate that works out to @ 511.76. We had a nice new Mercedes van both times we have taken this tour AND a wonderful driver !

This includes a lunch stop but NOT the cost for lunch. You can customize the day to NOT include a long sit down lunch but rather stop in for a quick pizza (5 euros pp = $ 38.42) somewhere and save $$. Tips (@ $50 for 6 at 10%) are also extra as are the entrance fees for Pompeii (66 euro for 6 ppl = $84.49). Even adding on a PRIVATE guide for Pompeii would add 110 euros (or $140.85) So total @ $ 821.92. That's almost $400 less than $1200.00. We have used this company a few times and they consistently give a quality product ! They also offer tours from Sorrento, Salerno, Amalfi and Civitevecchia. Check em out.

Just some food for thought :)

Just as a side note: RomeinLimo charges 570 euros for 6 ppl for a day on Amalfi coast (Ravello, Amalfi and Positano only). This does not include Pompeii, lunch, tips or any entrance fees. I have to ask why ?

That's 170 euros more for less tour.

For Naples you should look at APTours. From Naples for a full day tour to Pompeii, Ravello, Amalfi and Positano they quote 400 euros for 4-6 people. With current exchange rate that works out to @ 511.76. We had a nice new Mercedes van both times we have taken this tour AND a wonderful driver !

This includes a lunch stop but NOT the cost for lunch. You can customize the day to NOT include a long sit down lunch but rather stop in for a quick pizza (5 euros pp = $ 38.42) somewhere and save $$. Tips (@ $50 for 6 at 10%) are also extra as are the entrance fees for Pompeii (66 euro for 6 ppl = $84.49). Even adding on a PRIVATE guide for Pompeii would add 110 euros (or $140.85) So total @ $ 821.92. That's almost $400 less than $1200.00. We have used this company a few times and they consistently give a quality product ! They also offer tours from Sorrento, Salerno, Amalfi and Civitevecchia. Check em out.

Just some food for thought :)

Just as a side note: RomeinLimo charges 570 euros for 6 ppl for a day on Amalfi coast (Ravello, Amalfi and Positano only). This does not include Pompeii, lunch, tips or any entrance fees. I have to ask why ?

That's 170 euros more for less tour.

When you do your math using RomeinLimo prices you do get a higher estimate...correct? FWIW...many newbie Med cruisers wind up paying more than needed...so feel free to underestimate the costs or to say that a family of 6 can do a private day tour for $850...but if they go with R I L or another higher priced agency and if the sit down to eat and opt to NOT have pizza....then right there the restaurant bill will be enormous. Sit for an espresso and do just a small amount of shopping...get the kids a gelato....or a granita...and again multiply by 6...and $1000 plus for a family of 6..IN CERTAIN PORTS....is not a stretch by any means.

If I am not mistaken you are just 2 when you cruise, right? Are you cruising with kids? Do you still buy souveniers?

I am not questioning your knowledge...all I am saying is that a family of 6..which is what I believe the OP is.....will spend loads of money...and I realize that cruisers that are only responsible for themselves may have a hard time with this..but it is true....for example...in Taormina the 6 of us had cannoli...total of about $50....and in Rome we had gelato:eek:..another $50..in Florence we had granita...$50....Barcelona we ALMOST had a smoothy for 8E per person...she tried to pour them but I stopped her in time!:D

So honestly that is where the money adds up....and when a family looks to do private port tours...they should overestimate the potential costs...and be happy when they come in under budget.....of course you don't need cannoli in Sicily...but that is the home of the cannoli...so of course you do need it!!!;)

so plan for the worst as far as cost....and hope for the best.....

Good point! I missed that! Thanks for clarification.

Here's 2012 pricing for "mini van" class in Santorini I received from my hotel. I'm sure there are other companies and pricing out there too, but this should give you a rough idea. First price is off season, second price is July 1 - September 30.

Fiat Scudo 8+1 driver = 9 persons A/C 80 € 85 €

Mercedes VITO 8+1 driver = 9 persons A/C automatic 113 € 130 €

Nissan Prima Star 8+1 driver = 9 persons A/C automatic 95 € 119 €

Fiat Doblo 6+1 driver = 7 persons A/C 65 € 75 €

This price includes taxes, free drop off and delivery service between 8:00 and 21:00 (to the port or the airport), unlimited mileage and simple insurance. The rental applies for 24 hours and any car may be rented for a

minimum of 1 day. For full insurance 10 Euros extra per day.

Good luck on getting your prices down! :)

When you do your math using RomeinLimo prices you do get a higher estimate...correct? FWIW...many newbie Med cruisers wind up paying more than needed...so feel free to underestimate the costs or to say that a family of 6 can do a private day tour for $850...but if they go with R I L or another higher priced agency and if the sit down to eat and opt to NOT have pizza....then right there the restaurant bill will be enormous. Sit for an espresso and do just a small amount of shopping...get the kids a gelato....or a granita...and again multiply by 6...and $1000 plus for a family of 6..IN CERTAIN PORTS....is not a stretch by any means.

If I am not mistaken you are just 2 when you cruise, right? Are you cruising with kids? Do you still buy souveniers?

I am not questioning your knowledge...all I am saying is that a family of 6..which is what I believe the OP is.....will spend loads of money...and I realize that cruisers that are only responsible for themselves may have a hard time with this..but it is true....for example...in Taormina the 6 of us had cannoli...total of about $50....and in Rome we had gelato:eek:..another $50..in Florence we had granita...$50....Barcelona we ALMOST had a smoothy for 8E per person...she tried to pour them but I stopped her in time!:D

So honestly that is where the money adds up....and when a family looks to do private port tours...they should overestimate the potential costs...and be happy when they come in under budget.....of course you don't need cannoli in Sicily...but that is the home of the cannoli...so of course you do need it!!!;)

so plan for the worst as far as cost....and hope for the best.....

You're right - many people (especially those who are going for the first time) will over pay FOR TOURS. Since this was the original question (see post #1) I am addressing that issue. As I posted in my first response, if you shop or eat a large meal etc. you will spend more and that is an individual choice.

But for TOURS my point is : Shop around !!! There are companies out there that will charge more because they can. Why? Does it really matter ? They just do. There are numerous companies that can offer the same experience for less......if you look for them.

We were 4 last trip (2 couples) - no kids ! Again, as I already posted - I AM a shopper. I usually spend more on my shopping than I do on our private tours. That is why I shop around for a better price (same experience) for my tours and eat a pick up meal for lunch (I can eat a big meal for dinner on the ship) It also saves time for more "seeing" and "shopping" :) As for cannoli in Sicily, a definite must in my book. But I did not pay $ 8.00 (6+ euros) each for them...... we purchased them at a wonderful bakery right not the main street for less than 3 euros each..... I even took a few back to the ship !

• 1 month later...
I have a question for everyone.....I am good with the Turkish ports..but does anyone have good names for Athens private tours?

Thanks

In Athens we booked a tour with Nikos of privategreecetours and we couldn’t have done better. Nikos was very knowledgeable about Athens and very accommodative to our needs. This was very important for us since we had our children with us. We all had a great time and the kids still remember his stories!

Also, to answer the original question of the topic, the cost of that all day tour was 400 euros for the six of us.

In Athens we booked a tour with Nikos of privategreecetours and we couldn’t have done better. Nikos was very knowledgeable about Athens and very accommodative to our needs. This was very important for us since we had our children with us. We all had a great time and the kids still remember his stories!

Also, to answer the original question of the topic, the cost of that all day tour was 400 euros for the six of us.

We also used Nikos of Privategreecetours (Athens) last November. He was fabulous. Did a whole day tour and paid 400 euros for the 10 of us.

Archived