Excited an Overwhelmed.

KatyAnn

First of all I am very excited. My husband (51), son (16) and I will be taking a Baltic cruise Jun 3, 2013.

All of our previous cruises have been Caribbean and I can plan and pack for that in my sleep.

I am one of those people who plan very far in advance. I enjoy the process and find that it does pay off. But the Baltics is new to me and I feel a bit overwhelmed.

If someone would please post a packing list, I would be most grateful.

First of all I am very excited. My husband (51), son (16) and I will be taking a Baltic cruise Jun 3, 2013. All of our previous cruises have been Caribbean and I can plan and pack for that in my sleep. I am one of those people who plan very far in advance. I enjoy the process and find that it does pay off. But the Baltics is new to me and I feel a bit overwhelmed. If someone would please post a packing list, I would be most grateful.

Hi, Katy Ann! From your question on packing for the Baltics, part of it will be influenced by weather. For that aspect, the honest answer is that . . . "IT DEPENDS". For early June, it could be cooler. It could be a little warmer. Maybe, if and IF!!?? Why? See below on the weather ranges for some of these key ports. Layering will be important. It might be cooler in the am, warm up mid afternoon and then get cooler for the later afternoon and evening

YES, Europe is much different than the Carib. Europe requires more planning and research, in my view, than those many islands south of the US. For many of key Europe and Baltic ports, there is such a great range of history, architecture, culture, etc., to consider and from which to pick.

From our previous travels to these great cities of the Baltics, here are some of my book and research tips. You might grab, maybe from your public libraries or ask for them to do a book transfer they can process for you, such super excellent visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, etc., can work well, too. In my opinion, no one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely for all of your needs. These resources, especially the visual ones, can help you better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see. That early research is very important. Don't wait until you get on the ship to "GUESS" what might be of interest. I always build a "file" on my laptop computer for each port stop with highlights from that reading and then pulling up stories/articles from the travels sections of the New York Times, Telegraph of London, Wikipedia, etc. All of those help to consider your many great options. Amazon can be very good in providing such books at reduced prices, plus some used books websites. Lots of great options!!! Especially in these days of the Internet, it makes things easier to research and plan ahead. You can use Google.com for great access to various text items, plus a wide variety of visuals and maps. One option for some private tour and other local options is to contract the tourism office in each of your ports. You can use Google.com and put in the search term such as "city/port name tourism office". Then follow-up to each of those office by e-mail, ask your questions, get their suggestions, options to consider, etc.

Below are just a few of my photo examples/tips/ideas for some of the great options in the Baltics. Happy to share more, answer added questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 53,597 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 55,278 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Specific weather history for each port on the dates you be visiting there can be obtained by going to this below website, plugging in the location name and then going to the lower area for an earlier date to what happened there last year on that date, past averages, etc. Check out:

http://www.wunderground.com

To provide some added details, here are a few weather averages for three of key cities in the Baltics.

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May: 59/45 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 69/55 °F

August: 69/54 °F

September: 62/50 °F

St. Petersburg:

May: 59/42 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 66/54 °F

Stockholm:

May: 60/43 °F

June: 69/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 69/55 °F

September: 59/48 °F

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

Fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace outside of St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, just one of many, many great galleries:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Here is a wider shot of the Spilled Blood Church interior in St. Petersburg. Its exterior design is more traditionally "Russian" or Orthodox than St. Isaac.:

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

Dancers marching in Tallinn’s festival parade near the stone towers of the famous Viru Gate:

1A-Tallinn-DancersMarch.jpg

If you want to purchase one item of clothing, buy a waterproof windjacket made out of gortex or similiar technology. You will be touring rain or shine and will be ready for anything. These jackets pack up into a little pouch and are easy to carry along. Also, please realize that there is no a/c in any of the museums in SPB. It might be overcast and even chilly outside, but when you step into one of the buildings packed with tourists, it will be warm. A pair of light jeans, a nice shortsleeved shirt worn under a jacket that can be kept on the van it all you need to wear. I wore a fleece jacket over the t shirt on sunny days. Finally, before you worry about packing, get yourself set with your tour in SPB. Don't take a ship's tour under any circumstances.:eek: If you sign up with a private company (we used SPb Tours owned by Vika) it will make your vacation so much more enjoyable. Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

You have gotten some excellent advice so far. The weather in early June is so unpredictable. It is not quite summer, and any overcast or rainy days will be pretty cool. The key is 'Layers'. as you have already been told, wear things that will keep you fairly warm that you can just remove if the weather gets warm. You do not need anything heavy, like a warm jacket, but a nice hoodie might be nice, especially on the ship as it is cruising. it does get pretty chilly onboard.

When we cruised, we also felt overwhelmed at times. We decided when we booked that we would do all the ports on our own except for St Petersberg, which we also used SPB Tours (just a wondefful outfit to deal with). We spent hours, days, months on these boards, asking everything and anything. Nothing was too small or simple. we wanted everything down pat. And thru the generous people on these sites, we got exactly waha we wanted. That is why many of us come back to try and help those that need the same help we needed. Anything that you may need help with, you should be able to get answered here.

If you are mobile, they you should also think about doing most of the ports on your own. They are very simple to do and we have several posters here who reside in those cities, who are more than happy to answer any questions and give first hand advice.

Terry has posted some great pics of the Baltics, here are a few more to help get you excited

In Copenhagen, your first stop should be the Little Mermaid

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe212.jpg

One of the must see and do things is a Canal Boat tour from the picturesque Nyhavn section of this city. You get a complete different look of the city

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster284.jpg

In Tallinn, many do a great walking tour that is from this site. You will wander around this walled city with narrow cobblestone street, just waiting to be explores

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe587.jpg

In Helsinki, most of the attractions are right off Market Square, the main starting point. Here is the Lutheran Cathedral in Senate Square

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1063.jpg

In Stockholm, you must allow time to just wander around Gamla Stan, another area of winding, narrow streets, full of exciting things to explore and discover. Here is one of many outdoor cafes in Gamla Stan for you to sit and relax and grab a bite to eat.

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1265.jpg

Last is the jewel of the trip, St Peterberg. Here is a pix of Peterhoff with all their fountains going. Truly an amazing place to visit

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe730.jpg

You will have a magnificent time on this trip

Cheers

Len

Thanks so much for your responses. They have been very helpful. The pictures posted are very helpful and the suggestion of the waterproof jacket is spot on. The idea of getting books is great. We are all history buffs and readers. I believe planning and learning ahead is half the fun.

We are very excited and keeping this from my son. He'll turn 16 and we thought it would be a great birthday surprise. Thank you all so much. I am sure I will have many more questions.

Thanks so much for your responses. They have been very helpful. The pictures posted are very helpful and the suggestion of the waterproof jacket is spot on. The idea of getting books is great. We are all history buffs and readers. I believe planning and learning ahead is half the fun. We are very excited and keeping this from my son. He'll turn 16 and we thought it would be a great birthday surprise. Thank you all so much. I am sure I will have many more questions.

Glad we've been of help. Keep researching and planning. Let us know any added questions.

It is kind of nice to have this trip as a "surprise" for your young son. BUT, however, is he as big of history buff as you two are? What are his specifics interests, travel style and likes? There's a trade-off to consider. The more he is involved in the planning for this trip, then that will lessen the potential "boredom" that affects some younger people in being exposed to such a large, large dose, day-after-day, of great architecture, history, old stuff, etc., etc. You know your son best, his attention-span, interests, etc.

Which specific ports will your cruise visit? Where does your cruise start? Will you spend added time in that starting or stopping city in addition to what your cruise allows? Tell us more!! Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 53,597 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

First of all I am very excited. My husband (51), son (16) and I will be taking a Baltic cruise Jun 3, 2013.

All of our previous cruises have been Caribbean and I can plan and pack for that in my sleep.

I am one of those people who plan very far in advance. I enjoy the process and find that it does pay off. But the Baltics is new to me and I feel a bit overwhelmed.

If someone would please post a packing list, I would be most grateful.

I have something to consider for your packing list. We are fans of lightweight hiking pants (nylon-type), if they have the zipoff bottoms, even better. (Not sure there will be many wamer days in the Baltics - but we loved that feature in the Med.) They are comfortable, great to pack and easy to rinse out and dry.

They come in a variety of colors, have elastic waists (for "expanding stomach syndrome" common on cruises :D) The higher end ones may be wind and waterproof. Sierra Trading Post often has good deals on them. Don't forget to begin breaking in a good pair of walking shoes well in advance of your trip.

Happy planning.

Thanks so much for your responses. They have been very helpful. The pictures posted are very helpful and the suggestion of the waterproof jacket is spot on. The idea of getting books is great. We are all history buffs and readers. I believe planning and learning ahead is half the fun.

We are very excited and keeping this from my son. He'll turn 16 and we thought it would be a great birthday surprise. Thank you all so much. I am sure I will have many more questions.

Oh the irony. Are you sure the surprise element is worth missing out on half the fun? :)

Glad we've been of help. Keep researching and planning. Let us know any added questions.

It is kind of nice to have this trip as a "surprise" for your young son. BUT, however, is he as big of history buff as you two are? What are his specifics interests, travel style and likes? There's a trade-off to consider. The more he is involved in the planning for this trip, then that will lessen the potential "boredom" that affects some younger people in being exposed to such a large, large dose, day-after-day, of great architecture, history, old stuff, etc., etc. You know your son best, his attention-span, interests, etc.

Which specific ports will your cruise visit? Where does your cruise start? Will you spend added time in that starting or stopping city in addition to what your cruise allows? Tell us more!! Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

He loves history. He plans on being a history major in college. We took him to D.C. and New York when he was 9. We did activities we felt a nine year old would enjoy along with the regular tourist must sees like The Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, The Washington Memorial, The Wall, The National Holocaust Museum etc. We figured he would be bored at some of these, but tried to strike a balance.

The following school year at a parent-teacher conference, I was told that when the class was studying N.Y, my son gave a 45 minute talk on Ellis Island. The teacher was teaching about immigration history in the U.S. when he raised his hand and said he had been at Ellis Island. She called him to the front of the room and gave him the floor. I wasn't sure he had even paid attention, but there I was hearing how he actually gave a talk on the place. When I asked him about this, his reply was he loved history and had loved going there.

Our cruise starts in Copenhagen, Berlin, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm. We plan on using SPB for Berlin and St. Petersburg and going on our own in the others.

I asked my son several months ago where was the one place he would like to go if he could go anywhere, His answer was Russia.

I have something to consider for your packing list. We are fans of lightweight hiking pants (nylon-type), if they have the zipoff bottoms, even better. (Not sure there will be many wamer days in the Baltics - but we loved that feature in the Med.) They are comfortable, great to pack and easy to rinse out and dry.

They come in a variety of colors, have elastic waists (for "expanding stomach syndrome" common on cruises :D) The higher end ones may be wind and waterproof. Sierra Trading Post often has good deals on them. Don't forget to begin breaking in a good pair of walking shoes well in advance of your trip.

Happy planning.

I am very familiar with "expanding stomach syndrome." I get it every cruise. Great suggestion. :)

Oh the irony. Are you sure the surprise element is worth missing out on half the fun? :)

LOL, yes I do see the irony. However, I always do all the planning. My guys love to go, but any question I ask is met with "whatever you want to do." My son told me he tries not to think about upcoming cruises because he feels like he can't stand the wait.

KatyAnn

I understand you wanting to surprise your son with this fantastic birthday present, and you enjoy doing most of the planning, but I would like to second Terry's suggestion that you let him give some input.

We had a major thread here a while ago about bringing young children on a Baltic crusie and most think it really isn't the best place for very young children, but for a teenager, this is completely different. There is jsut so much history in these cities, that you simply will not be able to see and do it all. You have to compromise on things, especially traveling with a family. What interests a teen may not really interest you, and visa versa. You may want to climb to a high tower to catch a glimpse of the entire city, while another may want to explore a museum. There is just so much time in each port, and you also don't want to spend every monent rushing around. You need to stop and take a deep breath and see where you are. Take time for lunch, for an ice cream cone, for a beer.

When we went to the Vasa Museum in Stockholm, we planned on spending maybe 1/2 an hour there, for a few pics and some info. When we entered, sat down for the movie, we were hooked. We spent about 2 hours there and loved every minute of it. So the best laid plans just are never good enough. If you plan everything out and your son loves the Vasa, can you change your plans so he has his time there??

For a trip like this, and this is just MVHO, everyone should have a say as to what to do and what to see. No offense if you'd rather do it your way, just trying to offer some sound advice.

Cheers

Len

KatyAnn

I understand you wanting to surprise your son with this fantastic birthday present, and you enjoy doing most of the planning, but I would like to second Terry's suggestion that you let him give some input.

We had a major thread here a while ago about bringing young children on a Baltic crusie and most think it really isn't the best place for very young children, but for a teenager, this is completely different. There is jsut so much history in these cities, that you simply will not be able to see and do it all. You have to compromise on things, especially traveling with a family. What interests a teen may not really interest you, and visa versa. You may want to climb to a high tower to catch a glimpse of the entire city, while another may want to explore a museum. There is just so much time in each port, and you also don't want to spend every monent rushing around. You need to stop and take a deep breath and see where you are. Take time for lunch, for an ice cream cone, for a beer.

When we went to the Vasa Museum in Stockholm, we planned on spending maybe 1/2 an hour there, for a few pics and some info. When we entered, sat down for the movie, we were hooked. We spent about 2 hours there and loved every minute of it. So the best laid plans just are never good enough. If you plan everything out and your son loves the Vasa, can you change your plans so he has his time there??

For a trip like this, and this is just MVHO, everyone should have a say as to what to do and what to see. No offense if you'd rather do it your way, just trying to offer some sound advice.

Cheers

Len

As I said. The only places we are taking guided tours are St. Petersburg and Berlin. The other ports are walking ports and he will have as much input as us.

One other thing to consider..we don't want to tell him about a cruise that is a year and a half away. I would hate him to be disappointed if it fell through. When we get closer to the date we may tell him.

Plus, if you go back to my original post, the planning I do on my own is more about what to pack than anything..my 2 men don't want any part of that.

Another thing you will need to bring is suitable walking shoes. Many of the places have cobblestone streets, plus you will be doing lots and lots of walking and standing.

Many of the items you need for your Baltic cruise can be used again while visiting the Mediterranean or Alaska on your next cruise.:D

As I said. The only places we are taking guided tours are St. Petersburg and Berlin. The other ports are walking ports and he will have as much input as us. One other thing to consider..we don't want to tell him about a cruise that is a year and a half away. I would hate him to be disappointed if it fell through. When we get closer to the date we may tell him. Plus, if you go back to my original post, the planning I do on my own is more about what to pack than anything..my 2 men don't want any part of that.

Excellent tip on having good, comfortable shoes. You'll do lots and lots of walking and challenging pavement in the Baltics.

It's understandable that 18 months is a long way off. Assuming things are still a "GO" in early 2013, I would involve your son in the process, discuss the options with him, do that research on these various places, discuss the many options, review the visual options to determine what best fits, consider the "flow" for how you will do the various stops in St. Petersburg, etc.

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 53,917 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

KatyAnn----Our last cruise to the Baltics we took our 16 year old granddaughter.We included her in the planning process.In fact it was her idea to go to the Baltic.She throughtly enjoyed the cruise and still talks about it.She had just finished her sophomore year in high school and to think this fall she will be entering Stanford.Can believe how fast time flys.I'm sure your son will enjoy the Baltics

I'm going to second (or third) the suggestion for the waterproof jacket. If you can afford it, I would definitely recommend one that's made of a breathable waterproof fabric, because it will be much more comfortable to wear around and shouldn't get as clammy inside (which can also be quite cold). GoreTex is fantastic, and outdoor stores like REI have some fantastic options, but if you're on a budget, I'd recommend the Waterproof Storm Jacket from LLBean. It uses their own GoreTex-like material, so it's a lot cheaper, but it has served me well cruising Alaska and the rainy Norwegian Coast, as well as exploring Scotland and other rainy bits of Europe. A good rain jacket can really improve a rainy port day!

I would also suggest a midweight zip-up fleece for a middle layer. You can use it like a jacket on the ship's deck or in cool dry weather, and in extreme cases you can layer it under the rain shell to create a warm jacket.

Archived