Undecided?

akruz

My hubby and I were on a cruise 20 years ago and we did a Princess cruise doing the carribean which included Vennuzalia. We want to celebrate our 40th anniversary we are low sixty something. We want to know which cruise line and which port itinerary you would choose and yes watching our dollars (best deal. This is some of the destinations we would like: Panama, carribean and Hawaii I think we would prefer just going there instead of cruising. It seems the reviews on Hawaii are not good. We want to go mid march to end of March. 10 to 14 days. Sorry we are new to this site and just want some good info from people who have cruised and know of great port of calls. I would like to see 4-5 ports on this cruise that would have good opportunity to go ashore and explore. Excuse spelling of countries. Could not find the spell check?

Thanks and open to much needed insight, PLEASE :confused:

I would suggest a full Panama Canal transit via either Celebrity, Princess or HAL. It would be a two week cruise, that would start either in Los Angeles or Ft Lauderdale and do a full transit of the Canal and end in either FLL or LA. You would need a passport for that cruise.

Those longer itineraries tend to attract passengers in your age range, and won't have many kids on board. A typical itinerary like that could include stops in Mexico (Cabo, Huatulco, Acapulco), Costa Rica, Panama City, Colon Panama, and Cartegena Columbia. There could also be a stop at a Caribbean island or two.

Hawaii is definitely a LAND-BASED trip....too much to see and do when you have limited port times! Just fly there and experience the islands!!!!

Even a "partial" Panama Canal transit will be enlightening....and there are other ports in other countries to see! Typically, Costa Rica, Grand Cayman, and maybe Aruba or a private island/beach thru the cruiseline.

The Caribbean offers many ports....and because many of the islands offer some of the same activities, you can do a lot on a week long trip between all of your port stops.

thank you Darcie and cb. Yes, if we do find a reasonable deal we would definitely want to do the full transit of the canal. FLL or LA would be easier access for us to fly from Canada as many times the two destinations can be on a air sale. Yes, we do have passports so that part is all under control. I guess my next post would be is when is the best time to book a panama cruise to get a decent deal. I did peak at last minute deals but the list was only for Jan and part of Feb. So appreciate all for your assist on this vacation.

Trish, what are some of the big travel sites? I know a daaaaaaaa question. I should be able to book this stuff from Canadaon line or a travel agent even if an USA big travel site? Do you mean like the Princess site, NWL site.........? I know my weeks would have to be end of march 2012. thanks

Trish, what are some of the big travel sites? I know a daaaaaaaa question. I should be able to book this stuff from Canadaon line or a travel agent even if an USA big travel site? Do you mean like the Princess site, NWL site.........? I know my weeks would have to be end of march 2012. thanks

No one can post these for you. Discussions or recommendations of specific travel agencies is against posting rules on this site.

There are several ways to book a cruise here in Canada. Visit a local travel agent that specializes in cruise vacation will be my recommendation for novices. There are also various national-wide travel agencies in shopping malls and local neighbourhood (at least here in Ontario) or the travel arm of the major retail stores. Often they sell cruise packages that include air and sometimes transfer, which could be part of a group and/or package from vacation wholesalers like Air Canada Vacation or Transat Holiday (these aren't TAs). Then there are some Canadian-based online TAs (they priced most cruises in CAD). You can also book through a US-based online TA (paying in USD), many of them have decent incentives. That's what I did for our last and next cruise. Lastly, you can book directly with the cruiselines. Among the mainstream lines, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess and Holland America can be priced in CAD. For Carnival, Norwegian and Disney I can only see USD pricing.

My hubby and I were on a cruise 20 years ago and we did a Princess cruise doing the carribean which included Vennuzalia. We want to celebrate our 40th anniversary we are low sixty something. We want to know which cruise line and which port itinerary you would choose and yes watching our dollars (best deal. This is some of the destinations we would like: Panama, carribean and Hawaii I think we would prefer just going there instead of cruising. It seems the reviews on Hawaii are not good. We want to go mid march to end of March. 10 to 14 days. Sorry we are new to this site and just want some good info from people who have cruised and know of great port of calls. I would like to see 4-5 ports on this cruise that would have good opportunity to go ashore and explore. Excuse spelling of countries. Could not find the spell check?

Thanks and open to much needed insight, PLEASE :confused:

A lot of things have changed in cruising since you last did 20 years ago. Some for the better, some worse.

Your time frame is a peak time for spring breakers. However, a longer cruise would not likely see as many kids/students. That said, I have taken mine on longer cruises during this time frame to the Panama Canal and South America.

Do you have a budget in mind for the trip? I think there are several good possibilities. Also, have you thought about Europe or South America?

Congratulations on your anniversary! And many more.

I am new to this site and slowly understanding the rules. So apologize as I do not want my thread pulled. I just want to say thanks so much to all for the great advise as it is going to so help us in our decision. Thank you and so appreciate your replies. Our hearts are set on the panama cruise but like one poster said the date, itinerary, costs will have to be determined. As soon as I have that info we will make a decision. thank you for noting our 40th wedding anniversary. Will look at the Europe and South America options, too. Never considered that but if the price is in our range will be looked at. I agree the Hawaii I would like to actually be there for a duration.

Darlene

I am new to this site and slowly understanding the rules. So apologize as I do not want my thread pulled. I just want to say thanks so much to all for the great advise as it is going to so help us in our decision. Thank you and so appreciate your replies. Our hearts are set on the panama cruise but like one poster said the date, itinerary, costs will have to be determined. As soon as I have that info we will make a decision. thank you for noting our 40th wedding anniversary. Will look at the Europe and South America options, too. Never considered that but if the price is in our range will be looked at. I agree the Hawaii I would like to actually be there for a duration.

Darlene

No worries. We are here to help! I love to play travel agent with other's money. Would be happy to give you some suggestions.

It's against cruise critic policy to name travel agents on line. Some do advertise here. Click their links. Then go to google or your other favorite search engine . . . . click the travel button or search for cruises. Tons will pop up. Each will have search feature & you can put in your dates, your ports, your # of days etc.

The websites hosted by the cruise lines themselves are not "big commercial travel sites." You should look at them before you make a decision to assure that the line doesn't have some policy you don't like (no smoking, no outside beverages etc.) but don't start there.

Archived