Pattern of bookings -repositioning cruise

kelleherdl

I have become fascinated with the pattern of bookings on our canal transit. On the cruises we have taken so far (Alaska, New England, Med) it seems like the cruises sold out pretty early, or at least it appeared that way from looking at HAL online. We are booked on the Westerdam April repositioning cruise. By looking at the 13, 16 and 17-day itineraries for that sailing that there are at least 1/2 of the SA's still available. Even more amazing for a canal transit, two of the wrap SC's are still available. Even one of the PS is open. We are only 4 months from sailing, and I expected a higher percentage of bookings. Yes, I know this is a repositioning cruise right after dry dock, but is this normal? We have two SY's booked (for over a year). Is this a sign that the fairy may pay a visit? Yes, I have a note with my PCC to consider an upsell or upgrade.

Dennis

We're also booked on this cruise to Seattle and then on to Alaska on May 12th. We booked an SY starboard side but will wait to hear from HAL and our PCC on a possible "upsell" which usually occurs 10-14 days from sailing. We have had several "upsell" offers in the past and have accepted most.

See you in April and good luck

Mike

It is very hard for the average person to discern what is available from what we can see on the Internet. Yes, you can tell the PS is still available. But, after that, with GUARs and group bookings that are unassigned, it is pretty difficult to really know how the ship is doing. All you can tell is if a cabin is available. However, you can't tell if, for example, they have sold 20 SC GUARS- I think they are 4 SCs on the ship. So those other 16 SC GUARs are going to SA, SB or PS. You just can't tell.

Figure the ship is going to sail either sold out, or so close you can't tell the difference. Yes, on a cruise that has varying lengths (13/15/17 days) you could notice some empty cabins if you get on at the 17 day start. But by the time you have left the 13 day start port, it will be full.

The opposite is what happened on our FLL-San Diego-Seattle repo a few years ago. We were full FLL-San Diego, but only 600 from San Diego-Seattle. The ship seemed very empty.

If the Deluxe Verandahs don't get sold, you may very well get an upsell offer. If you do and you like the price, take it right away. He who hesitates is lost;) Things can change a lot in 4 months though. Good luck:)

Archived