Copenhagen hotel air-conditioning

I'll be in Copenhagen pre-cruise in late June. I notice that very few hotels have air-conditioning. Since I live in south Florida, I am used to cool a/c at night. Is it necessary? I'd appreciate input.

Thanks......& Happy New Year to all!

For late June, air conditioning will probably not be needed. Below are some weather details for this great and charming town of Copenhagen and nearby in the Baltics. We super loved Copenhagen. We stayed at The Square hotel. They have A/C and a wonderful location. See the picture below. Plus, my urging to not miss seeing Tivoli at night, do lots of walking around there, etc. Here are some of my visuals as suggestions for a few of the many options on what to see and do in Copenhagen, etc.

More highlights and ideas for this city at:

Copenhagen: Why Walking Back to the Ship Is Super Great!!!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=975779

Specific weather history for each port on the dates you be visiting there can be obtained by going to this below website, plugging in the location name and then going to the lower area for an earlier date to what happened there last year on that date, past averages, etc. Check out:

http://www.wunderground.com

To provide some added details, here are a few weather averages for three of key cities in the Baltics.

Copenhagen: High/low averages,

May: 59/45 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 69/55 °F

August: 69/54 °F

September: 62/50 °F

St. Petersburg:

May: 59/42 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 66/54 °F

Stockholm:

May: 60/43 °F

June: 69/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 69/55 °F

September: 59/48 °F

Added questions or reactions for Copenhagen or other ports in the Baltics?? Happy to share more.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 53,713 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 55,686 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Copenhagen, we stayed at The Square hotel that overlooks the main plaza in front of their City Hall with its large tower. This picture angle is framed by two statutes in front of this famed civic building.:

CPHtheSquareHotelFront.jpg

Copenhagen's City Hall and its large Square are in the heart of the main downtown, near Tivoli and the central train station. Completed in 1905, it was designed in the "National Romantic" style with inspiration from the Siena City Hall. Dominated by its richly-ornamented front wth the gilded statue of Absalon just above the balcony, its tall, slim clock tower is 345.6 feet or 105.6 meters tall. It is one of the tallest buildings in Denmark.:

1-CPH-CityHall.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “New” Harbor is actually old and charming with lots of outdoor dining options and nearby shopping:

Boat.jpg

A guard and statue in front of the current Royal Palace in Copenhagen:

1-CPH-PalaceonWalk.jpg

Rosenborg Castle in central Copenhagen now holds the Royal treasures. It was originally built in 1606 as a summer palace, expanded and put into its current condition in in 1624. It houses a museum exhibiting the Royal Collections, late 16th to the 19th century. This includes the Crown Jewels and the Danish Crown Regalia:

OldPalace.jpg

Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds.:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

This is a good question we'll be there in mid September and we are booked into the Scandic Front it says its air conditioned but I'm not 100% sure about it.

Thanks TLCOhio for your information, its put my mind at rest a bit.

We should be able to get around the heaters they insist on using.:)

I'll be in Copenhagen pre-cruise in late June. I notice that very few hotels have air-conditioning. Since I live in south Florida, I am used to cool a/c at night. Is it necessary? I'd appreciate input.

Weather is so unpredictable. After reading volumes of hotel reviews (a number of complaints of being uncomfortable with the heat), DH would not settle for a hotel without AC. (And we live in New Engalnd.) We booked the Marriot on Priceline for close to $100 per night.

Yes, IMO it is necessary. You have hit one of my hot buttons. I spent a miserable two nights at the otherwise excellent Admiral Hotel (Nyhavn) in June 2007 while visiting on a land trip with my sister. I learned my lesson well, and on my return this past June I booked at the well-located The Square (thanks to TLCOhio's excellent advice on this board:)), one of the few hotels with real a/c in Copenhagen. (The only other two I know about are the Marriott and the Imperial.) It certainly was needed once more and well appreciated.

Thanks TLCOhio for your information, its put my mind at rest a bit. We should be able to get around the heaters they insist on using.

CintiPam: I booked at the well-located The Square (thanks to TLCOhio's excellent advice on this board)' date=' one of the few hotels with real a/c in Copenhagen.[/quote']

Appreciate the nice comments. Glad to be of help. Keep those good questions rolling along!!

Back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 53,917 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

• 4 weeks later...

I am sorry if I am asking this question in the wrong place...has anyone stayed at The Square recently, and able to comment on their experience. We would like to book a hotel with air conditioning, however, the reviews are so mixed that I am hesitating. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I, too, saw mixed reviews on The Square. But I chose it anyway because of location. I guess you'd be "safer" with the Marriott because you know exactly what you're getting, but for one night, I thought being in the center of things was important.

I would not let the "mixed reviews" scare you. We had a great experience there in July 2010. Others more recently have stayed there and been very happy. A Marriott is more "predictable", but its location is not as handy to the "center of things". Your choice!!! Also, when in Denmark, it was good for us to get a little out of our boring "comfort zone" and sample some of the classy, but more contemporary style and design. I ended up being very impressed. My view is that Marriott is nice, but when you in Europe you might want to sample a little different style than just the "corporate thing" from back home.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 59.873 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 57,071 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We took TLCOhio's advice and chose The Square last July. We were glad we did! Make sure you get the breakfast plan, it is well worth it and delicious. The staff was very helpful to us, took our bags and locked them up in the storage room. The location can't be beat, we walked everywhere. The a.c. worked fine, but if you are used to US frigid a/c, you might notice a difference.

I am sorry if I am asking this question in the wrong place...has anyone stayed at The Square recently, and able to comment on their experience. We would like to book a hotel with air conditioning, however, the reviews are so mixed that I am hesitating. Any feedback would be appreciated.

As I stated in my post above (#5), we stayed there in June 2011. We had an excellent two-night stay pre-cruise, enjoying the excellent location, breakfast and a/c. The front desk personnel were very pleasant and helpful, and provided us with our requested room on a high floor facing the side street for the light sleeper I have become since leaving the noisy Manhattan life for Cincinnati suburbia. :)

Archived