Love to snorkel! Which beach on our own??

jacksmom09

Hi! We will be on Carnival Dream in April and are wondering if we should try Trunk Bay or Magens Bay or something on our own! Lots of ships in port that day though? (4/10):confused: Would love to snorkel and have plenty of beach time! Can anyone tell me which beach would be closest? TIA!

We spent a week at Sapphire Beach resort and highly recommend a day there. Gorgeous beach and water, and great snorkeling options. There is a reef as well as a sea grass area that you may see rays and sea turtles in.

Dive center rents everything, and there is a small grill (Banana Cabana) selling sandwiches and beer. Also runners on the beach taking pizza and beer orders.

Sapphire is the least busy of the beaches but it really is beautiful. Coki is my favorite because it's a small bay and more intimate. But it gets crowded and so it's a more active vibe. More vendors and Coral World is also there with the sea lions. If you want a busier vibe go to Coki, for a more relaxed day Sapphire. They are close to each other on the East End.

For after-beach options Red Hook is a 3 minute drive from Sapphire and has some great bars (Island Time, Big Bambooz, Latitude 18 which just reopened). And Paradise Point is a great spot to end the day with a great view overlooking the harbor. You can taxi there or take the tram, short walk from the tram to the cruise dock at Havensight where you will be docked. You can also purchase tram tickets at your excursions desk and get a refund if you decide not to use them.

More info can be found here and in the St Thomas forum at CC's sister site tripadvisor.com.

Enjoy!

I love snorkeling too. Magens is an awesome beach for chillin but 4 snorkeling not the best due to the sandy bottom. It's clear & calm just no structure for fish to make their home

You might check out Secret Harbor, wonderful snorkeling. Pretty beach, smaller & much less crowded than Magens. Nice lil restaurant/bar there, the Blue Moon. The nice lady that runs it is a treasure!

I could post a few pics of Secret Harbor if you like...

Snorkel Dawg

Just wondering which is easiest/quickest to get to on our own Coki or Saphire??:confused:

The taxi normally will stop at Coki first then Sapphire, both are easy to get to. You could enjoy both if you wanted to, depends on how much time you have and whether you want to see Paradise Point or not.

Both Sapphire and Coki are great beach destinations, you just need to decide if you want a busier beach or a more laid back beach. Tough choice!

I love snorkeling too. Magens is an awesome beach for chillin but 4 snorkeling not the best due to the sandy bottom. It's clear & calm just no structure for fish to make their home

You might check out Secret Harbor, wonderful snorkeling. Pretty beach, smaller & much less crowded than Magens. Nice lil restaurant/bar there, the Blue Moon. The nice lady that runs it is a treasure!

I could post a few pics of Secret Harbor if you like...

Snorkel Dawg

i would love to see pics!

Not the OP but interested in seeing the pictures also. Did I miss something? these look like they are from Cozumel? :)

You are so right. Oops, sorry. I had just posted for a Cozumel question and when I copied for the Sapphire, it must have not took. :p

Sapphire reivew: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26210037&postcount=1

Archived