Bermuda - for non-swimmers????

gb88

My sister and I, neither of us swimmers or beach people, are considering an NCL cruise to Bermuda (Kings Wharf). The reason is that we love cruising and this itinerary fits our schedule (mid-August). What else is there to do in the port city if we aren't interested in water activities?

I try to visit Bermuda every year (went there twice last year), and I'm not that fond of beaches (even though Bermuda's pink sand beaches are particularly beautiful) , so you should be able find more than enough to do.

I suggest you do some research on the Bermuda Ports of Call board, where lots of information about Bermuda is posted, but for starters, here are a few things to do and see:

The town of St. George's is a UNESCO World Heritage site and worth a day's visit.

Go to Hamilton for shopping, and also visit the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute.

Crystal Caves

Gibbs Hill Lighthouse

Bermuda Maritime Museum, which is located in the Royal Naval Dockyard, where your ship will be berthed.

Hire a "blue flag" taxi (they're certified tour guides) for your personal customized tour of the island.

I agree with everything njhorseman said & would encourage you to spend a day at St.George's ...it's a wonderful place to spend a day. You could lunch at the White Horse Tavern or take a short bus ride to the famous Swizzle Inn.

There's also the botanical gardens and aquarium. Or you could take a taxi tour of the island. There's never a lack of interesting things to see & do!

If you have time, I'd suggest you stop by Horseshoe Bay for a quick visit. I'm not a beach person either, but it is absolutely beautiful...especially when you are walking down the hill for the first time and the beach and ocean come into view. Camera-worthy for sure. :)

My partner and I visited Bermuda for the first time in October (a cruise on the Gem, njhorseman was aboard too :)) and there's plenty to do for "non-swimmers" in the three days you'll have there. While we did spend a day at the beach because we do like to swim and snorkle, there were many non-beach things we didn't get to do on this first trip that we'd love to have done, such as visit the Caves, the Aquarium, Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, etc. My point is -- you won't lack for things to do even if you don't spend time at the beach.

I definitely agree with the suggestion to spend a good part of a day in St. George's, as well as to have a meal (and a Rum Swizzle) at the Swizzle Inn.

If you go -- have a great time!

I absolutely love Bermuda and I am not a beach person or a swimmer for that matter. Bermuda is amazing and IMO the most beautiful place on earth. We have been there three times and have a fourth cruise booked for September. There are still plenty of things we haven't done. Bermuda.com has lots of tourist information. However, many of the posters gave you some very good suggestions.

Thanks to everyone for reassuring us that there is enough to do, even if one is not into water activities. These are excellent ideas. Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.

If I may - one further question: How worried should we be about being rerouted due to the threat of a hurricane?

Rerouting due to a hurricane can happen, but it doesn't happen that often, so I wouldn't worry. In more than 20 years of regular cruising to Bermuda we've never been rerouted.

sorry nj,

great mind's think alike, both post at same time,:D njhorseman is correct.

enjoy.

and get a cute t-shirt from the Swizzle Inn.

Swizzle Inn on the front.....

Stagger Out on the back.:D

Actually, it's "Swagger Out". ;)

There is also a Swizzle Inn on the south shore now. Maybe a 20 minute cab ride from King's Wharf (or a couple of stops past Horseshoe Bay Beach on the bus). You could swing by the beach for that photo op, continue on to the Swizzle Inn for lunch and a pitcher of the best rum swizzle on the island (pricey lunch, but worth it) and continue on to Hamilton on the bus. Then take the ferry back to King's Wharf from Hamilton. That's just one day!

We've got our tenth Bermuda cruise coming up this year. LOVE it (and I too am not a huge beach person...). Plenty to do and see (as many folks have listed here).

I have been to Bermuda for the last three summers and will stop again this August. One thing I love to do while I am there is go to the Sea Glass Beach. Go to the Destination area of this site and click onto Bermuda. Enter Sea Glass Beach into the search enging and you will get all the information you need.

Archived