Getting hair done aboard

mkleblanc

Hi-

We are going on our first cruise in March. I was wondering if anyone has had their hair done aboard the ship for formal night? I have chin length straight hair that doesn't do too much. I was thinking maybe having it done in curls or something. Any ideas on how much this would cost? Worth it?

A curling iron won't take up much room in your luggage --try hairspray first, then curl, then arrange your curls and spray again. If your hair is chin-length, I don't think the stylist is going to be able to do anything that you can't easily do yourself at no cost.

My hair is now chin length (I like it longer) and straight. For myself I don't think I would bother to get it curled, the sea air will flatten it out very soon even if you are inside.

I use a round brush for body (actually use several of them...but it does take more space than a curling iron). But a curling iron just flattens my hair out since it is so soft, I get a bit of curl at the ends and nothing else. Now, if I were 30-40 years younger I might like that flat straight hair, but at my age I want body and fullness.

I flip my head over, blow it almost dry (I have root spray, mousse and texturizer in it before starting...just a bit). Then I blow dry in sections (think of an old fashioned roller set), spritzing each section with a bit of hairspray before using the round brush. Round brushes aren't difficult to use on shorter hair and especially if you think of them as a roller instead of a brush. I leave the brush in my hair until a little cooled off. It sounds complicated but all this takes me 7 - 10 minutes tops.

I brush into place (a bit of backcombing) and spray lightly with more hairspray. I do use Paul Mitchell clean spray so I don't end up looking like hairspray head!

If I had one wish in life, it would be for easier hair. OK, to have enough money to cruise when we want to. And better body proportions. Maybe more....:)

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't had mine done. Someone I know did, and all they did was pull her long straight hair up into a tight bun on top of her head. It wasn't very impressive. Have you tried any of the clip-in curls? That's what I do for formal night, even though I have waist-length hair of my own. It is much easier than bringing curling iron, curlers, sprays and gels. And it is hard to do much with my long hair in the tiny bathroom!

If you have them do it, make sure you take a picture with you of what you want. I have had my hair done twice, one time (with a pic) it came out beautifully, and the other time I let the stylist choose and I looked like I was wearing my grandma's hair from 1950. I love my grandma but it was ridiculously out of date.

I usually go a couple of times during a cruise - usually before formal nights - because my hair is hard to style. But it is a lot more expensive than here at home and when you are dealing with stylists who don't know your hair or the styles that flatter you it's a good idea to take pictures. I've had mixed experiences - but that's no different from going to new stylists at home. Oh and I found (on Celebrity) they will try to push the hair/spa products on you - firm no thank you if you are not interested in laying out even more expense!

It is rather expensive and I've never done it, but I've traveled with people who have had it done and they were pleased. It did cost about $65 for an up-do or a styling of some sort.

I curl my hair so I have a curling iron and it doesn't take up much room. If you really don't want to bring your curling iron with you, you could always do like others were suggesting and use a hair dryer and rounded brush. Maybe tease it up in the back, making a bump.

You could also wear a beaded or fancy headband or hair combs to make your hair more formal.

I wear my hair short and usually just blow it dry. For formal nights I do have my hair done - they can make it a little "poofy" and it has always looked nice. Except for once on a carnival cruise - the man just made it totally straight - it was horrible! Jan

Archived