Streamers thrown upon departure

dfwguy

ok, time for another silly question. I am watching an old movie about a TA ocean liner crossing and the people are throwing streamers as she departs. Is that something that was just "in the movies"? Does anyone still do this? Thanks

Considering how long Southampton has been WORLD FAMOUS for cruiselines going to sea (I can't think of any more well known) - we were absolutely amazed at the very poor facilities at this port. Mind you, we have only seen the Mayflower terminal (both for arrival and departure) -- but it is little more than a big tin shed!!!:eek:

It is not that there is insufficient ship movements to warrant the expense of a superior terminal (this is currently Sydney's problem - increasing movement, but not enough to warrant the expense and also no room at the inn there any more!)

So what is it about Southampton? - why the VERY poor facilities?? Is it the cruiselines? (nearly every cruiseline visits Southampton). Is it the local Port Authorities?? Is it the British Government(s)??

Southampton, of all places, should have the GREATEST cruiseline port facilities in the World!!!

Barry

So what is it about Southampton? - why the VERY poor facilities?? Is it the cruiselines? (nearly every cruiseline visits Southampton). Is it the local Port Authorities?? Is it the British Government(s)??

Barry

That's a good point.

At airports, the majority of the passenger facilities are endless shops and fast food outlets and a few bars. Plus, now many airports have spotted the wheeze of making you walk through the duty free shop in order to get to your departure gate.

So these facilities only exist to make a profit for someone from a captive audience. So you would have thought the cruise lines/port operators would have spotted they are missing a trick by not being more like an airport.

Actually, I'm quite pleased about that, because I don't go to a cruise terminal to buy a tie or a Big Mac !

ok, time for another silly question. I am watching an old movie about a TA ocean liner crossing and the people are throwing streamers as she departs. Is that something that was just "in the movies"? Does anyone still do this? Thanks

A number of streamers here although, I grant you, not as many as you used to see.

Regards, Colin.

There aren't any people to throw the streamers to anymore, unless you're saying goodbye to a dockworker. :rolleyes:

I remember going on board a passenger ship while she was in port just to have a look 'round with my Granny. But then, we used to be able to go to the gate and meet people or see them off at the airport too.

(Those were the days...)

Archived