Is There a Minimum Number for Get Togethers on Princess

Aussie Gal

I have organized a few Roll Call get togethers on Princess but have never been aware of minimum numbers as we usually have had well over 40 people participating in fact it has been nearer to 50.

Our cruise in March has a very small Roll Call, at the moment only 10 couples and I was wondering if there is a minimum limit before we can organize somewhere to meet.

I know we can organize our own little area and not have to ask the powers that be, but it would be much nicer if we could let the Staff know that we are a little group and that we would like to meet together especially as it is a 20 day cruise with quite a few sea days.

Jennie

Hi There

Have been on roll calls were there was only about 8 folks, rather than a meet we had diner together, but as we had asked the maitre d to organise it he got chef to sop bye to say hello and added a few extras to the menu,

so you have a good size group,

have a great cruise.

yours Shogun

PS have also set up CC lunches for up to 80 folks.

I don't think that Princess has a minimum they require, like RCCL does (they require 25 before confirming). They just usually ask you to give them a number so they can prepare the bar staff and know how much space to hold for you.

Yes Paul, it is when we are on the Ocean. Thanks for the contact. I will email her towards the end of January when hopefully we have a few more on the Roll Call. All final payments have been made and we have our boarding passes and luggage tags. The cruise has been discounted and I know there are a lot of empty cabins at the moment.

Jennie

Seems like different cruise directors handle their ship's involvement in M&G's differently. You can always email the CD ahead of time with the number in your group at that time (there's always the possibilty that more will join up in the last few days before the cruise). Then touch base with a better number when you get to the ship. You may get a response or not. Try to get other people on the roll call to email you their cabin number so that if you get some news after you get onboard, you can contact everyone. I would also arrange a meet w/o CD involvement the first day anyway.

Thanks so much for all your answers to my question. I will email Jan James at the end of this month and request a place to meet once our Roll Call members have decided on the day and a suitable time as well. Hopefully in the next few weeks our small numbers will have grown.

Jennie

Thanks so much for all your answers to my question. I will email Jan James at the end of this month and request a place to meet once our Roll Call members have decided on the day and a suitable time as well. Hopefully in the next few weeks our small numbers will have grown.

Jennie

Jennie Hello I actually contacted Princess this past week about a meet and greet in Feb (Ruby) they put me in touch with the person who handles the ruby. And in reading this thread you have been provided a name for your ship. What I was told that they need to know two weeks or more in advance the day, the time, the number and they would provide an area with a no host bar.

Regards

Pete

Normally there are three to five % of passengers on a ship who will be on the roll call.

For a small ship such as the Ocean, that would mean normally 20 to 35 people if the ship was full.

So I would not expect a great number of people to join the roll call.

However, no matter what size group you expect, the contact for that ship at HQ will make the arrangements for you once you give your estimate of the number of people.

Caribill,

We only travel on the smaller ships such as the Ocean, Royal and Pacific and yet we had well over 56 people on our Roll Call in April on the Royal, and about the same number in 2010 on the Ocean when we did the Capetown to Dover cruise. We also had a big Roll Call on Oceania's Nautica 2008 and on Azamara's Quest in 2009. They were all interesting itineraries where we had a lot of experienced cruisers.

In the case of this particular cruise, we will probably have quite a few Aussies on board who have never heard of Cruise Critic hence the smaller numbers.

Over the years I have organized many Roll Call get togethers on both HAL, Oceania, Azamara and Princess but we have never had such a small Roll Call, hence my asking if there is a minimum number needed.

Jennie

I have set up several M&Gs for Princess cruises I have been on. About a month ago I arranged one for a cruise coming up in March on the Star Princess.

Emailing one's request to the appropriate Princess coordinator for the ship you will be on, with the approximate number of guests expected, and the date,time and location where you would like it to occur should result in a confirming email reply within 48-72 hours (business days, of course).

To those who have had experience with a M & G, what percentage of members who say they will attend the M & G, actually attend? I assisted with one in 2010, and only had around 70% or so attendance.

I am planning one now, and have 36 on the roll call, while several have not posted since they mentioned they wanted to come, as much as 8 months ago. Would you assume they probably won't show up?

ILVTX.

If you haven't heard from some of the members in 8 months I would assume they have cancelled their cruise. I often do a bit of detective work and see if they are on any other Princess Roll Calls at the same time as the cruise we are on and that way I have found quite a few who have moved ship! I just put their names into "Search This Thread" at the top of the Roll Call page for all the Princess ships and that usually shows me the ship they are on.

Usually a few don't turn up as they have other things they want to go to at the same time such as Bridge, Lectures etc. but often they will send their spouse along instead.

Jennie

Caribill,

In the case of this particular cruise, we will probably have quite a few Aussies on board who have never heard of Cruise Critic hence the smaller numbers.

Jennie

The last cruise I organised a meet and greet for a full Australian ship from Perth and we had over 80 at the meet and greet Cruisecritic is now very well known to Australians

The last cruise I organised a meet and greet for a full Australian ship from Perth and we had over 80 at the meet and greet Cruisecritic is now very well known to Australians

Then I have no idea why we only have 10 Roll Call members. I am also on a Roll Call for March 2013 and we already have over 31 members on the list - that is 62 people altogether but there are only two Aussie's on that Roll Call.

On our small Roll Call for the Ocean again we only have ourselves and another couple from Australia. The rest are from the U.S and the U.K.

I wonder if most Australians only read the Australia and New Zealand section of the Boards.

Jennie

Then I have no idea why we only have 10 Roll Call members. I am also on a Roll Call for March 2013 and we already have over 31 members on the list - that is 62 people altogether but there are only two Aussie's on that Roll Call.

On our small Roll Call for the Ocean again we only have ourselves and another couple from Australia. The rest are from the U.S and the U.K.

I wonder if most Australians only read the Australia and New Zealand section of the Boards.

Jennie

a lot of cruisers go onto facebook and they have their own m&g organised thru the ship

on a recent cruise on the Dawn Princess FB had 70 odd people for their m&g and CC had a half dozen

I have been on to Facebook, in fact I only joined as I thought there would be loads of fellow cruisers on our cruise. There are only 10 including myself which is not a huge number. I have replied to each person but no-one seems to want to continue the conversation so I have given up there.

Jennie

I made a request to Princess for an upcoming M&G. I wasn't asked for the number of partipants. I simply asked for a specific area, at a certain time and a no host bar. I received confirmation within 24 hrs. and was told I would get another confirmation when I board.

Previous experience - CC members join the roll call never to be seen again and I've seen M&Gs where less than 50% attended. Some people forget or want to attend lectures or have spa appts.

Archived