Funship 2.0 (Liberty) Review w/Lots of Pictures

pyroguy

I loved your review of your eastern carr. cruise. I saw that you had three children with you, one of them being 3 years old. Next year when we go on our cruise our son will be 3. How did you find camp carnival to be? Did you use the sitter service on the port days?

Sorry I can't answer that. This cruise, we didn't bring the kids. We will, however be taking them on the Splendor at the end of July and I'll be sure to report how that went.

• 1 month later...
The next day was San Juan. We had reservations to do the Segway Tour and Sheila and Joe from our Roll Call and Chef’s Table were on it too. We met up with them and headed down. It’s a short walk from the pier to the one (I think 2 piers over) to the Segway place, so it was pretty nice.

***Side Note***

Careful of the tour vendors in San Juan right outside the pier. They were pretty aggressive, asking where we were going, then telling us “Oh, that’s right here, that’s me”...then taking me by the arm and trying to make me go with them. What a bunch of crooks.

We waited for a bit for the Segway office to open. Soon after, Manuel (our tour guide/instructor) showed up and started us in on the safety and operation of the segways).

...Manuel...

DSC_3236.JPG

...Taren was first...

DSC_3205.JPG

The Segways are really fun. He took us outside one by one, taking us around turns and up and down a small hill nearby to get us acclimated to using the machine. He was a great instructor and a really nice guy.

Soon we headed off for our Old Town San Juan tour. Note...I’m a big guy, a little over the 260lb weight limit for the Segway, but they have a larger one that used to be a police one. I used that one for the tour, and it was MUCH easier than the smaller ones that we practiced on.

He stopped in several places along the way to show us history on San Juan.

...A US flag flying in San Juan...

DSC_3225.JPG

...some local boats along the ocean walk...

DSC_3234.JPG

...Narrow Streets (HDR)...

DSC_3261_2_3_tonemapped.jpg

...view of the coast from the Fort San Cristobal (HDR)...

DSC_3275_6_7_tonemapped.jpg

Wow, that street photo looks like a painting! I'm loving your review. Me, DH, my sister-in-law and her husband are going on the Liberty with this itinerary in April. Counting the days...

Your pictures were amazing what is an HDR?

HDR stands for "high dynamic range" and it's a technique where you map the tones in 2 or more standard 16 bit images into a single image that more closely matches what the human eye tonal range is. No digital camera sensors can accurately capture a tonal range like our eyes can.

Thanks!

I didn't tell them specifically I got burnt - rather I asked if they could watch where the ashes were going because they were coming over to our balcony. We were told that with all the new smoking rules this was the only place they could smoke, balconies are for smokers only, and they weren't going to burn down a steel ship.

Rather than make a fuss, we just left it alone and stayed in our room whenever they were out there.

It certainly didn't ruin our vacation - we did get to spend some time on our balcony when they were eating and sometimes late at night and early in the morning.

Great Pic's .. I'm reaching for a new camera, which one are you using?

• 1 month later...
Great review and awesome pics! I can really appreciate good picture taking and you take great pics. I was on the Liberty, a couple weeks after you, so it's interesting to get your take on it. One comment - we stayed on Lido, as well - I have no idea the name of our steward because he never introduced himself, but we only saw him on the first day and the last night. So, it's interesting that you only saw your steward once. I wonder if it has something to do with the supervisor on Lido, maybe he's to blame and not the actual steward. Our cabin was adequate, but I have had such better cabin service on Carnival, in the past - and I'm not one who ever complains- but the cabin was a little off on this cruise. We even had an incident, on the last evening - I'm not going to go into it, but it was very strange and my husband has contacted Carnival (since we've been home) about it. Anyway, can't wait to read the rest of your review.

I'm staying in a Lido Deck balcony in 19 days...both of your comments about not seeing your cabin steward are quite interesting to me...also, what was your "incident" if you don't mind. I'm going to have my 3 kids with me so I'd like to be aware of any potential issues.

Thanks,

Derek

We loved that location! No problems at all, and it's right outside the atrium, where it's easy access to the LIDO activities (aft) and the Lobby Atrium elevators right outside. No noise complaints that I can think of...even though guest laundry services were right across the room.

And it's just down the hall a little way to the "secret" doors leading to the front ;)

GREAT Review! We're stayin in this room (and 9270) in a little under 3 weeks and would love to see pics of the room if you have them. Thanks again for posting the review.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the review (and gorgeous pics!), We are surprising our four kids with a Spring break cruise for Christmas and have decided on the Liberty....I cannot wait, they are going to be so excited. I will definately have to show them these pics after they get their 'present'.

Hello,

This has been by far my favorite review with pics of the Liberty :-)

I just cant wait to be on her Nov 24th.

My only question is how were the elegant nights ? Which one was more elegant ? Have you seen both dinning rooms ? We are on fix late seating and was wondering what dinning room we will get.

Thx

Rgds

Eric

• 2 months later...
Hello,

This has been by far my favorite review with pics of the Liberty :-)

I just cant wait to be on her Nov 24th.

My only question is how were the elegant nights ? Which one was more elegant ? Have you seen both dinning rooms ? We are on fix late seating and was wondering what dinning room we will get.

Thx

Rgds

Eric

Really sorry I didn't see your reply sooner.

As you probably know now, the first night was the more elegant night, and our dining room was the aft one (fix late seating).

Hey Pyro Guy, we are on the Nov 16th, 2013 Liberty cruise, I started a roll call, come join us!

Awesome! I hesitated starting one because I've done that before and they get deleted without much activity. See you there!