Live from Mariner Ft Lauderdale to Lima Jan 6-20

RachelG

Wonderful, robust on board report, thanks Rachel...glad to hear you got your 60 min walk/run in (have u tried 1lb weighted glvoes (like J Fit 20) find they help leverage daily power walking workouts)

It is good to hear that there are no noxious smells aboard any more.

It was an oddity about the time change error. Makes you wonder how these errors come about.

Stan, the French Captain, was in charge during our November crossing. He seems an amiable man. His routine is to give his 1200 hours announcement, which is usually a bit boring, then go up to the pool deck and La Veranda and mingle and have lunch.

Daniella may remember Barbara and me, if so give her our best wishes. I agree, she is an outstanding personality.

Thanks, Rachel! Strange hour to have a CC get together! WAs it well attended? Any idea from the roll call how many you expected to be on board??

If you have time and run into either the Captain or Ray Solaire, please do ask them who will be captain and CD on the TA that follows the South American cruise... many thanks!! I know that Rallydave and I are waiting to know.

And well done on the Trivia front. Keep winning!!

Gerry

Wes, I think I needed those weighted gloves yesterday to keep me on the deck! Today was much less windy--just right in my book as you need a little breeze to cool you off. Today is also appreciably warmer, probably 80 outside now. Walking outside is not my normal exercise routine at home. I usually do the elliptical, but I find that incredibly boring on a ship when you can be up top seeing new things all the time with the sea breeze in your face.

Gerry, there are 28 full cruisers on the roll call and another 12 on the FLL to Lima segment I believe. Dorothy (Blue Whale) is the official keeper of the list. The reason we had such an early meeting was to try to avoid conflict with other things people wanted to do. And it worked fine except for the time change fiasco.

A second sea day, overcast at first, but soon bright and sunny. It is noticably warmer and more humid.

I got up for my morning walk up top. Still lots of other walkers. Not as windy today, just pleasantly breezy. They have removed the sign which tells you which way you are supposed to walk and how many laps a mile is. Still most people walked the same direction.

Missed the CC get together as I totally missed seeing the notice in Passages. I need to read better.

A very interesting lecturer is aboard. I am really not a lecture person on cruises, but George wanted to go. So I went along. He talked about how maps distort the real earth, and it was pretty interesting. My sons would have loved it.

Lunch was in La Veranda. They had Asian buffet out on the pool grill, so George got that. I made a very nice salad for myself from the stuff indoors. Quite good.

We did not win at trivia today. Too many movie questions. That and sports are the 2 areas I really know very little about, so we were out of luck. Oh, well.

Tonight was captain's reception. Didn't go to that as we had Signatures reservations at 6:30. Signatures was as good as ever, even with different recipes than we have encountered before. But still the same general idea as under Cordon Bleu. I liked it very much, and service was outstanding. One of our favorite servers was there--he recognized us and greeted us immediately.

Smell report--none at all anywhere.

Kid report--there is a family with several ranging from maybe 8 years old to teens. As far as I have seen, they are incredibly well behaved and causing no problems. I haven't been up to the pool deck except early in the am and to go to La Veranda to eat. But I haven't seen any problems.

They have new white towels with stripes on the pool desk, I guess to go with the white terry covers for the loungers. It looks very posh.

Too bad about the Trivia - I have the same "problem" areas and hope that Tina and Dave can help!!

The white striped towels really sound spiffy!! I hadn't heard about the covers for the chaises longues...nice!

Any info on the Captain/CD for 18th march yet??

First, sorry, hambaghle, still haven't been able to pin down Ray on the CD for the TA.

This am was bright and sunny with a few clouds. Very windy outside, as bad as first day, I would say 30 knots or more. Went out to walk and did it, but it was just me and one other brave soul. Most went down after 1-2 laps. But temp was perfect.

We sailed into Curacao at about 10:30. The announced Gold/Plat/Titanium event was a sail in on the Horizon lounge at 10:45. Pretty lame if you ask me. We were already docked at 10:45 and even if we had not have been, there wasn't much to see. We did not attend.

Anyway, we went up and had tex-mex on the pool deck. I have had this before and do not like it as we can get much better Tex Mex at home, but my husband wanted to. So I ate salsa and guacamole which are quite good. The other-not so much.

Our excursion, snorkling, was to leave at 11:50 and it was pretty prompt. No problem there. The problem came when we got to our first snokling site and there was no snorkle gear there. The bus driver was calling on his cell phone. Eventually, maybe 15-20 minutes later, a guy came with masks and snorkles only, no fins or vests. My husband refused to go out without fins at least. I really would want fins and a vest. The driver tried to make like it was our fault, that we should have requested fins and vests in advance. Well, I have taken many snorkling trips with Regent, and these have always been included.

So we didn't go out. Went to the 2nd site. Again no fins or vests, so didn't go out. A pretty much wasted day for us.

I have been to Curacao before and loved the Kura Hulanda museum. Would have really liked to have taken my husband there, but he really wanted to snorkle. So I tried to plan a nice day. It was a loss. I have complained to the excursion desk, but still a lost day. They were surprised that fins and vests were not included, so maybe the tour operator is cheating Regent.

Anyway, back on the ship, there were some local dancers aboard on the pool deck at 6:00. ok but not great. We ate dinner in La Veranda which was the French Bistro theme. I liked it a lot. My husband not as much, but he is still mad about the snorkling.

Tonight is Cirque Mariner. it appears to be a different show than what I have seen before so I have high hopes. We will see.

Smell report--none at all

Kid report--the youngest is actually about 7, but all really well behaved.

had a blind wine tasting this afternoon by Daniella. She is a real jewel. Has convinced George that we need to go to the premium tasting. A little pricey for my taste, but he really wants to. Learned a lot about wines, and I thought I was pretty much in the know already.

Enjoying your commentary ... thanks

The premium wine tasting with Daniella was a highlight for us last week

We also did the snorkel tour but we were on the other bus. We also were very disappointed but we did go into the water. Both Bob and I are fairly strong swimmers so it was okay with no fins. Would have liked them but the edge of the water was all rocky and hard on your feet so I wore my shoes while I swam. This was a very disappointing excursion. Did not complain but still might.

Eileen

Rachel, I would have been hot over the snorkeling snafu, also. Don't blame your husband at all. Thanks for the update.

Oh, not blaming him at all. I am just sorry that he missed out on what he really wanted to do. Looking at the description of the tour we were given vs what actually happened, there are so many discrepancies. I think regent is being robbed by this tour company. What the company promised and what they delivered were 2 different things.

You were right to complain to Dest. Services. So should everyone else on that tour... I cannot imagine snorkeling without flippers! (Have never done it with a swim vest though). It is outrageous!! I am surprised that there was no one from Regent with you. In my experience they have always sent one staff member along - notnecessarily Dest Services but a staff member. To monitor things.

Sounds like the Caribbean hasn't changed much!!

As for the Gold/Plat etc event -- I do not understand why they offer an "event" if they don't do something special. A sail-in when one has already arrived at the dock is really only a morning coffee or a pre-lunch drink!! Actually now I think about it, the only really special event I have atteneded was when Ken Watson was on board and we were invited to a private tour at the Picasso Museum in Barcelona. It was really special and I shall never forget it!

-The 'events' may have become less eventful. On the New Year's cruise it was a sushi lunch in the Observation Lounge.

-Rachel, I'm enjoying traveling along with you. Yes, I thought the aerialists in Mariner cirque were very talented. What did you think of the cast portion? We found them very weak.

-We attended 2 tastings hosted by Danielia and thought that she was great. She was omnipresent in the dining rooms.

-It was not my impression that Regent was trying to serve less wine but that either there were insufficient wine staff or staff not fully trained to be attentive. I think of wine service in the ship dining rooms to be similar to having selected a bottle of wine in a good restaurant. The 'sommelier' needs to pick up your rhythm and pour accordingly. Having to signal or ask [land] restaurant sommeliers to pour more wine is not a common experience in the NYC area.

One of the male dancers is very talented, and the main vocalists are good. Rest are just ok, but still entertaining. The aerolists were outstanding. My husband was very complementary of them, but then added "you could have done that when you were younger". He is so funny!

Oh, before I forget, Catenai (Carol) says to tell everyone she is having a wonderful time even though she is not posting, and I am to report that there are indeed gentlemen hosts aboard. She has danced till late every night.

I have seen these gentlemen hosts, and they are quite dapper. Maybe I will ditch George and go dancing one night! I did that on our first radisson cruise.

Bright and sunny this am, but raining at the same time. Thus I did not do my am walking on the top deck. But I saw an amazing rainbow instead. It was really close, closer than any I can remember.

Nice and warm too in the low 80s.

We had a sail and snorkle tour planned. I am sorry I was a little grouchy about our tour yesterday. But today was way better.

The sail boat was a catamaran, and the guys in charge were really on top of things. They said everyone had to have a vest, fins as well as snorkle and mask, no exceptions. First we sailed to a place that was really near shore. There were lots of small fish and some coral, and the water was really calm. I was happy, because I am not that great a swimmer. I felt very comfortable here and the fish were pretty.

Then we went to the wreck of the Antilla which was a German boat that was intentionally scuttled in WWII by the Germans so that the Dutch Marines wouldn't get it. It was really interesting, but the water was much deeper and there was a current. You really had to pay attention. There were also tons of fish, including some really BIG fish. But it was well worth it.

After sailing back, we had lunch on the pooldeck and went for a walk around town. Actually, I think the shopping was overall better in Curacao. The prices there were better. Here were mostly very upscale expensive places or just cheap junk. Curacao was more middle of the road.

WON at trivia today.

Then had my walk up top, accompanied by the band. It really makes a nice walk. And it was not windy at all. Very pleasant.

Dinner tonight in CR with Linda and Bob, of LindaandBob fame. Really nice time. Food was great, but I asked specifically if the cheese trolley could be brought to the table and was flatly told NO!

Entertainer was a comedian who was pretty funny.

I asked Ray who the CD and captain will be on the TA. Ray will be the CD for sure, and he sends his regards. Captain he thinks will be Felice, but he is not 100% sure.

Smell report--some varnish but that is all, they were varnishing stair railings.

Thanks, RAchel for the info on the TA. I have not yet met Ray and am looking forward to doing so. When you see him next could you tell him I have over 40 CCers and spouses on my list for the TA and would like to send it to him so he can think about the get together!!

If Felice is our Captain I shall be really pleased. he was the Captain on our 2010 Med. cruise and is a total delight!! He also has a very very pretty daughter!!

Good going on the Trivia!! Keep winning!!! And keep reporting. I am really enjoying "your" cruise!

Gerry

Rachel - I hope you had a great evening dancing...

And I have a favour to ask you. I have the list of all the CCers on the TA in March and would like to get this to Ray Solaire before we sail. I could e mail it to you, if you would then pass it to him while you are on board. OR could e mail it to him, if you have (or can ask for) his e mail address...

Anyway - if you can be in contact with me directly, my e mail is Thompson "at" verbier "dot" ch.

Many thanks!

Gerry

First of all, Gerry, I will forward your info to Ray.

Now, awoke to bright sun at 6 am. Time was changed last night. Tried to sleep a little but sun too bright. So went walking--a perfect sunny day with no clouds at all and just a very slight breeze, enough to make it comfortable. Lots of walkers this am.

Terry Breen gave her first lecture. I have only been on one prior cruise with her. She is a very knowledgeable person, and very interesting.

Trivia was at 11 am today. We won--my best day ever as I had 2 answers that no one else knew.

Lunch in CR then sail in to Cartagena which was quite scenic. At the dock right on time. The area around the dock is very nice looking. This is not one of those commercial piers where they are unloading raw fish right next to the ship. The area is only for cruise ships and is very well maintained.

We were on tour. But there was to be a shuttle bus to the old town. Unfortunately, it did not happen as the taxi drivers blockaded the entrance to the port. Too bad for them as a lot of people just stayed onboard instead of paying for a taxi.

We had a tour to the San Felipe Fortress, walking tour of the old town, then shopping. San Felipe is quite large and impressive looking. Mostly only exterior though, nothing really much inside. I got some great photos though.

Old Town walking was enough to get me oriented. We only saw the exterior of a lot of buildings, but went inside one church whose namesake devoted his life to helping slaves from Africa. Interesting walking. I have been all over South America, and I speak fair Spanish so am not intimidated by street vendors. The ones here are much less aggressive than those in Peru. If you say you aren't interested, they are respectful and leave you alone.

Anyway, till this part the tour was fine. We were on a small bus with 18 total people. We had those audiobox headsets which are really nice as you can wander and listen to the guide at the same time. I was set to give him a good tip.

Then we went to the Emerald Market, which was fine. Except he said for everyone to be back on the bus at 6. 6 came and went. We were all on the bus except 2 people. He went looking for them. He came back and said 5 more minutes. 15 minutes later, they still weren't there. So we and all the other people on the bus insisted on going back to the ship. The 2 missing people were in the emerald store. Seems they should have been polite enough to say that they wanted to stay and would take a taxi back. Eventually we did leave to go back to the ship, minus the 2 inconsiderate people. Meant we missed our other shopping stop which was the one I wanted to make for t-shirts for our boys, coffee, etc.

Anyway, our guide missed out on his big tip because he didn't keep his group under control. And those people who made everyone else wait--I can't imagine being that self centered. If I were wanting to shop more, I would just tell the guide to go on and I would take a taxi.

Dinner was on deck BBQ. They had lots of food and the weather was perfect. Breezy and just the right temp. We had a good time, though I think food would be better in CR. The BBQ food was basically what you can get in La Veranda anytime, which is fine, just not that special. But the music was good, and the desserts were outstanding. (And I don't eat dessert.)

Smell report--none except BBQ'ing meat.

Kid report--totally perfect well behaved. I love these kids and would adopt them any day. They remind me of my boys when they were little.

Not sure what we will do tomorrow as I did not arrange a tour. I had planned to take the shuttle to the old town, but if it doesn't run, not sure. My husband doesn't want to use the taxi drivers as they are being so pissy. We will see. We may walk a ways outside the port then get a taxi.

Thanks So much Rachel - I look forward to hearing from Ray in due course...

Cartagena!! We will stop in Cartagena on our TA cruise. But the Spanish (I suppose "the original" ??) version.

How very stupid of the local Tourist authority to allow their taxi drivers to stop visitors coming ashore. Maybe they could not help it. But it sounds short-sighted.

I wish that there were more "open deck" evenings like you had. Even if the food is ordinary, the ambiance sounds wonderful!

Thanks again !!

Gerry

A good nights sleep at the dock in Cartagena. To bad my husband isn't younger. We could have gone out partying.

At any rate, awoke to a wonderful day, not too hot, not too humid. I heard some people complaining, but they have apparently never spent anytime in the summer in Oklahoma.

Today I decided we needed to do our own thing. So we got a taxi. Walked outside the port aways to avoid those that were inside preventing the shuttle bus. There are tons of taxis in Cartagena, so hailing one is not a problem. We kept being accosted at first by drivers, but I just told them in Spanish that we were walking. When we got aways from the port, I hailed a taxi who took us downtown for $10. Could have probably bargained for $8, but that's ok.

We walked all over the old town. Went to the Gold Museum (highly recommend and it is free) and the Inquisition Palace (ok but they need more English signage. Translating for my husband was exhausting. It would cost very little to supply translations.) Taxi back to the ship.

The taxi rides are sort of like amusement park rides as there are no specified lanes of traffic. And you can encounter almost anything--a donkey, a bike rider, a guy pushing a cart--in your lane of traffic. It was pretty fun.

After lunch in CR where we watched the sail away, we used up the rest of our OBC in the spa. Excellent massage.

We won at trivia--YEAH!

Tonight's Broadway show was at 6 pm and it was really good. They have revamped it. It appropriately still has a proper rendition of "Oklahoma". Unfortunately, my husband didn't go. If he had been there, we would have stood through the whole thing, then he would have thrown his cowboy hat in the air at the end, which is the only correct finale.

La Veranda has switched to the Italian theme, so we ate there. Aboslutely outstanding. The chef came to ask our opinion--perfect.

Got to go to sleep early as the locks start in the am.

Archived