Live from Mariner Ft Lauderdale to Lima Jan 6-20

RachelG

Had you not written the following I would not have replied:

"I really think the Navigator should do away with 25 suites and build a proper Prime 7 and put La Veranda back to the way it was."

As per usual, what you wrote didn't match what you said in your response above. It was NOT wishful thinking when you say " I really think".

Also, your above response ignored the millions of dollars to make the change and the and the potential significant revenue loss on every cruise.

I'll answer your other question on the other thread.

It really depends upon what your definition of "is" is. Give me a break! End of discussion.

First, I agree that I hope La Veranda will not be reservation only--but I love the idea of an Italian restaurant theme all the time.

Now to today.

Awoke to extremely overcast skies and heavy rain. So heavy that I couldn't walk outside, so walked on the 6th floor deck. I felt like a guinea pig doing it's circles, but at least I got a little exercise.

The Circle South America cruisers were to fly to Quito this am for an overnight there. They were significantly delayed but did eventually make it into the air on to Quito.

We took the shuttle to the port entrance, then hailed a cab to the market. Still raining VERY heavily. Only a few of us hearty ones out. The market was much less than usual, but there were a few vendors there. I have to applaud their resiliance as conditions were bad. We walked around and bought a belt (excellent leather for $5--would have cost at least $30 in the US). We walked into downtown and visited some other stores. It is interesting that there is a version of Walgreen's in Manta. Had I guessed, I would have thought I was in Tulsa.

Anyway, even though it was still raining heavily, we decided to walk back to the ship. So we ventured on. Manta is a pretty clean city by South American standards, and we did not feel in danger or threatened at all. All the people we encountered were extremely friendly, and probably more curious about why 2 crazy Americans were walking around in the rain. Eventually, we ran into the 1st Baptist Church of Manta. So we went in. They were so welcoming and nice. I explained in Spanish that we were from the US, and that we are Baptists. They loved that we would visit their church. It was really great. The pastor was very happy that we had visited, and tried to talk to us in English.

We walked on back to the ship after that great fellowship with fellow Christians. Had lunch in La Veranda so that we could make our excursion time of 12:50.

Our excursion was to Monticristi via chivas bus. This is an open air bus that is brightly painted. And on the top, there is often a band playing really lively music. Still it was raining.

So we had a pretty wet ride to Monticristi. But people still came out and waved at us going by.

We actually went through the town and to this area where the handicrafts market is. I didn't need a hat, but there was a lot of other stuff for sale. And it is totally ok to bargain. The vendors are not aggressive, and I felt very comfortable here (and in the market at Manta as well).

We spent about an hour there then rode back, this time with a band on the top of the bus since it had stopped raining. Locals all out waving at us.

Trivia--my team all went to Quito, so I was on my own. I recruited a couple who had never ever played before, and we still did pretty well, but didn't win.

Sat on my balcony looking out, and I saw these huge sea turtles, as big as the top of a table and right by the ship. Really cool.

Dinner at Signatures. They had my very favorite Cordon Bleu menu, exactly. The escargot, the mushroom soup, the halibut. All perfectly prepared. So they have kept the recipes. Only difference I noticed was a decrease in salt. Which is a good thing.

Also, and I have noticed this all over the ship, the bread is the best I have ever had on a Regent cruise, not that I need to eat more bread. Yes, Tom, they have our salt torpedoes, but the other bread is outstanding as well.

Tonight is Ray's puppet show. I have seen before, so probably won't go, but it is very good.

It's nice to hear that La Verndah will be upgraded but I hope that reservations are not required. That has always been one of my favourite restaurants. If you came back from an excursion and were tired you could always decide to go there and relax. That will leave room service as the only option if you don't feel up to Compass Rose.

Threechicks, just guessing, but perhaps they feel that since the advent of the relaxed dress code, there's not as much need for a "casual" alternative restaurant as there used to be, since all the restaurants are now elegant casual every night.

-- Eric

Threechicks, just guessing, but perhaps they feel that since the advent of the relaxed dress code, there's not as much need for a "casual" alternative restaurant as there used to be, since all the restaurants are now elegant casual every night.

-- Eric

Eric, that may be but it reduces the "dine at any time" to one restaurant only. I don't think they need three reservation only restaurants.

Sat on my balcony looking out, and I saw these huge sea turtles, as big as the top of a table and right by the ship. Really cool.

Great. I, too, was uplifted by the sight of sea turtles after we exited the Panama Canal going northwards. We first saw them from the top deck and from there they looked about the size of dinner plates, However from our balcony we could see their real size, lazily paddling along, seemingly without a care in the world.

Rachel -

Just picking up on your reports again as we are down near Cannes for a couple of weeks and have NO Internet where we are staying!!

Anyway the news re la Veranda sounds wonderful. And I also hope that Franck will be on theMarch TA with us. Not sure if the reservations or no res. are a good thing though.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise and thanks so much for your great posts

Gerry

Awoke to some more rain this am, but it appeared that it would clear. We had a morning tour-The MAAC museum and Las Penas. So had to get up and moving.

Buses loaded--no more than 25 on each bus. Then we drove into Guayaquil, which has undergone an amazing improvement in just the past few years. I think even a couple of years ago, it was considered to not be a good place to visit, too dangerous.

Everything I saw looked perfectly safe, even the poorer areas that we drove through on the way to downtown. People looked to be working and happy. Kids were walking to school.

Then we drove around downtown, slowly, for an hour. This was not supposed to be a bus tour. My husband was getting restless, as we really don't do bus tours, and there was nothing in the description about riding in a bus for an hour after we got downtown. Finally the guide, who was a very bossy person with sort of a dictator complex, revealed that the reason we were driving around with no apparent purpose was so that all the buses wouldn't arrive at the museum at the same time. OK--that sounds fine, but why couldn't we go to the iguana park and look at that or walk on the Malecon.

After an hour, we got to the Las Penas area where we walked through the street to the MAAC museum. The walk was fine, but again, the guide did not want us exploring at all on our own. We pretty much just rebelled and did our own thing.

Finally, after 2 hours, we entered the museum. It was really good. Again, she didn't want us looking at stuff on our own, but by this time, we had had it. So we just explored. Why she just couldn't say "be back here at x time if you want to do your own thing or stay with me", I don't know. Anyway, the explanations for all the exhibits were in Spanish, but it wasn't difficult to read, so I translated. The archeological artifacts were really outstanding.

Then back to the ship. Now this was supposed to be a 3 hr tour, which would place us back at the ship at 12. That would give enough time for lunch then take the shuttle back in to see the iguana park. But due to the unnecessary driving around, we did not get back till 1. So we had a decision--either no lunch and go to the park, or eat lunch and stay on the ship. We decided to eat lunch and stay on ship, but I was disappointed in not seeing the iguanas.

Afternoon, I read my book. George went to the gym.

The Quito people were also quite late getting back. All aboard was supposed to be at 4:30, but was not as they were not back yet. No trivia as my team was all still missing.

They got back about 5. There was a big German Shepherd drug sniffing dog going through all the suitcases. He was a beautiful dog--reminded me of our German Shepherd Sam.

Anyway, eventually they got everything sorted. I was uptop doing my laps on the 12th deck. They were supposed to have sailaway party at 4:30, but due to the late arrival, it was 5:30. We didn't actually sail till more like 6:15. But I got to walk to very zippy music provided by the band again.

Cocktails in the observation lounge. A cruiser was celebrating 90th birthday, so we sang Happy Birthday.

Dinner in CR with the trivia team. We had a wonderful time. My chicken tikka was appropriately spicy, and that is great--I love spicy.

Tonight is a singer, a lady who was the lead female vocalist in the original Phantom of the Opera. Should be very good.

I did notice a little smell yesterday--but we were parked right by a bunch of tuna boats. Again today, very slight in the hall, but we were in a huge industrial port, one of the largest I have ever been in. Our room is fine.

Really enjoying your posts. It sounds like Regent hasn't yet figured out how to space their excursions. On our cruise, we did not have 3 or 4 tour buses showing up at the same place at the same time. . . but, we were having lunch at 2:30 p.m. -- rather late when we boarded before 8:00 a.m. IMO, they should start the tours 1/2 hour apart (when possible). Then passengers would have returned at noon, 12:30 and 1:00 p.m. -- still in time for lunch. I think it's good that they are working on it.

Do you go to Salaverry (probably misspelled)? We had a lovely tour and lunch there last year.

Yes, if they have several buses going to the same place, they should stagger the times that the buses leave the ship if the place where they are going can't hadle that many at the same time. Would be easier to get the excursions off as well if departures were staggered.

We will be in Salaverry (Trujillo ) tomorrow.

Awoke to slightly overcast skies with a hint of sun. It is noticeably cooler today,and was very breezy. Walked for an hour at a good pace helped by the wind.

Lectures by Terry Breen this am. She talked about when she was caught in the mudslide coming back from Machu Picchu. Very interesting.

Lunch on deck was a great seafood BBQ. Lots of variety, fresh sushi. But had to find a corner to eat in to avoid being blown away.

Read my book till time for the premium wine tasting. My husband really wanted to go, and it was fun. Daniela is really a smart young lady. Great wines accompanied by a lot of food. No need to eat any more tonight.

Gaucho entertainment was actually better than expected. Have a big day in the am.

No smells at all today.

We are enjoying our cruise with Rachel and will miss her when she leaves on Friday.

Those of us who are doing the complete 72 day voyage went to Quito. Despite an overcast morning, we managed to take off. When we got to Quito, we enjoyed the afternoon tour and the tour the next day to the equator lines.

This is a fine ship! And the cruise critic folks we have met and are meeting are the best.

Blue whale

Awoke to haze, which is what the coast of Peru is like most of the time. I knew this from our previous visit, so no surprise. But it was pretty breezy early this am.

We had a long all day tour scheduled. We boarded a brand new never before used double decker bus. First we went to the beach were the guys go out in the reed boats to fish. This was a pretty brief stop, just to take photos, but the reed boats were interesting.

Then on to the Chan Chan Palaces. These belonged to a pre-incan culture that existed basically from 900 AD to 1450 AD when they were conquered by the Incans. They had huge palaces for their rulers, though most people did not live there. The palaces were huge and very ornate.

Then we went to downtown Trujillo and saw the main square (the largest in Peru), the cathedral (pretty basic as far as cathedrals go), and the oldest big house in Trujillo where Bolivar stayed when he came to town. The house has a lot of historical significance for South Americans and a few interesting artifacts for every one else. Downtown Trujillo is a bustling city and very clean, in broad contrast to everything the further you get out of the city--large amts of garbage everywhere. They really need to do something about this if they want to make it attractive to visitors. It seems they really have tried around the historic sites and the downtown, but everywhere else is awful.

We went to a place where they train paso horses for lunch. Had a good lunch with lots of peruvian foods, ie potatoes and corn in multiple varieties plus some really good chicken. Pork and beef just ok. But I enjoyed the food and the pisco sour.

The horses came on to entertain us, and they were quite good. My husband and I have several horses at home. These are quite different as the saddle does not have a cinch under the horse's abdomen. There is a tight strap in front of the neck and a loose one behind his legs. They also have a very large bit. Our horses would go crazy with that, but I suppose it is all what they are trained for. One of the horses danced quite impressively. My husband says that Chili, our smartest horse, could definitely do that. But the others, probably not.

After that, we went to the Temple of the Sun and Moon. Most impressive thing of the entire day as these are pre-pre-Incan, before the Chan Chan palaces. They were made by the Moche people who were quite brutal and loved to decapitate their enemies. But the artwork is amazing and the colors from the painting are mostly still intact.

Arrived back at the ship hot and sweaty in time for trivia. We did not win, but came close. And I supplied a correct answer that no one else knew--what became the 10th provence of Canada in 1949?

Dinner in CR was quite good. Excellent wine choices and yummy cannelonni.

Tonight is Crew Capers which is always one of my favorites.

Smells--wood smoke this am from the shore, otherwise nothing.

Great report. We went to the same place for lunch and really enjoyed it. The Pisco Sour was so good that we are still trying to find Pisco at liquor stores. Very difficult to find!

The only reason I know that Newfoundland is the 10th province is because we were there on our Silversea transatlantic cruise last year:)

Tonight is Crew Capers which is always one of my favorites.

Mariner's Krew Kapers a couple of months ago was the best we had seen. But it is always quite a mixed occasion, joyous and infectious because the cast are clearly having a great time and sad because it is always the final night or so.

We have a laugh at your regular "smell" reports.

First of all, Krew Kapers (crew capers) was outstanding as always. I love the enthusiasm and hard work of the crew at this show.

Awoke early this am to very overcast skies. We had been in Lima twice before, and it has always been this way,so I think it is the normal weather.

I went up and walked while the ship came into port. Lots of smaller boats all around. It was pretty interesting.

We were on standby for the 7.5 hr archeological museum and Pachacamac ruins tour. And we got on. The bus was entirely full. First we went to the archeological museum which was a place we had not been to on our previous trips to Lima. Very interesting. Actually I think I could have spent all day there as I felt we only skimmed the surface. Tons of artifacts. Our guide Oscar was perfect. He was very knowledgeable, but he also knew when to shut up and just let people explore.

Then went to the Pachacamec ruins. These are HUGE. So big that you really can't walk around so the bus took us through. We got out a couple of places. This place is mostly unexcavated, and there is a ton of archeology here. We saw human bones just sticking out of these huge piles of debris. Amazing.

Then went to a hacienda for a late lunch and horse show. The horses are very well trained and well taken care of. My husband is big into horses, so had lots of questions,etc. They even let him ride one of the horses, and he was impressed with the horse's training and ability. It was a totally different type of saddle than he is used to, and of course, the horse knows Spanish instead of English. But he loved it. The meal was typical Peruvian, and very good.

LONG drive back to the ship. Had dinner in CR with Bob and Linda and had a wonderful time. We will really miss all the friends we have made on this trip. Saw Dorothy and her George in the hallway as well. I want to be Dorothy when I grow up. What a beautiful elegant lady!

Up early in the am for a flight home. I am sorry for this trip to come to an end. BUT someday, maybe I will be able to do all the way around!

OOPS--final smell report. Today when we came back there was a definite sewer smell in the hallway outside our even numbered cabin on 7th deck. Don't know if this has anything to do with us being in port, but suspect so. THere was no smell whatsoever in our cabin.

Echo Eric's Kudos; thanks to Rachel (also to George for supporting your posting) very much for your wonderful, often personalized on board & on board smell reports...safe journey/travels home to Oklahoma.

Yes, our 2 weeks went way to quickly. Came home to lots of stuff to catch up on though.

We were up early as our flight left at 7:30 am. I have arranged a car and driver for us and catenai (Carol) as we did our own air. The driver was right there at 5 am, but they would not let him in the port at first. Fortunately, one of the ladies from the tour desk was there and helped us get him in. No traffic at all, so we were at the airport very quickly. We had been here a few times before, most recently 5 years ago. It has improved so much, like night and day. Five years ago, there were guys all over trying to grab your bags to extort a tip from you, people trying to sell you junk even inside the airport. They have put a stop to all that. No unauthorized people in the airport at all. It is very modern and functions efficiently.

AA flight from Lima to Miami, then to DFW and on to Tulsa all on time.

No further cruises till June, and none on regent till August. I am in withdrawal. But it was a great trip. Not absolutely outstanding ports, but we have traveled in central and south America extensively before, so we knew what to expect. Met lots of new friends, some of whom we will definitely keep in touch with and hope to sail with again.

Archived